Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking statistics in college right now and it sucks!! I can't even count how many hours I've sat here going over the same material. Is anyone good at statistics that can offer some advice?
Even worse is I have to get a B or else my admission from college will be rescinded! I'm on a transfer agreement and this is my last class to fulfill the agreement with a B or better.

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
LOL my stats teacher was literally about 80 years old and he'd write whole equations on the board, look at it, and say "well that's not right" and erase it all.
It was the worst class I've ever taken. So, no help from me but good luck coming from someone who has been in your shoes!!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL my stats teacher was literally about 80 years old and he'd write whole equations on the board, look at it, and say "well that's not right" and erase it all.
It was the worst class I've ever taken. So, no help from me but good luck coming from someone who has been in your shoes!!
UGH how did you survive?! We are only on chapter 3 and 4 but its probabilities which is THE WORST!
I've even purchased supplemental material to try and help me out a bit.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think stats teachers enjoy making it about 50 times worse than it should be. I have a physics degree and went through Calc 3 in college and had more trouble with stats than any other math class.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I actually took a statistics class 'for fun' at a local community college a few years ago. I was the oldest person in the class (even older than the teacher). Math has never been my favorite thing, but I actually liked the class and got an A in it. No advice for you, however. Is there anybody who can tutor you?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually took a statistics class 'for fun' at a local community college a few years ago. I was the oldest person in the class (even older than the teacher). Math has never been my favorite thing, but I actually liked the class and got an A in it. No advice for you, however. Is there anybody who can tutor you?
I'm going to have to get a tutor. My community college offers free tutoring, but it is from kids who quite often are little help so I have heard. But it is worth a shot. I've never had to have a tutor before...all I know is they can be expensive, so I'll take free.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I'm so sorry Nicole! I never took stats but my daughter who has a doctorate in Genetics did and I remember how much she hated it!

Hope your tutor can help!

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
Me being an Accountant, I had to take many math classes. The key to stats is to almost forget what you learned about regular math. A lot of stuff in stats seems almost contridictary(sp) to what you learned in highschool.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I love statistics! Probabilities are for people that are good at puzzles and I'm not so much. Get a tutor, at least he/she can help you get your homework correct, and that should help you get a better grade.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I didn't do stats in college: I was playing the piano. I didn't get farther than there was a huge probability that I would hit a clunker.:curtain:

Just wanted to send hugs and hope the Good Fairy of Good Statistics grades will smile upon you!:smooch:

·
& Murphy's Mom too!
869 Posts
I absolutley LOVED statistics!!! I had to take the same Algebra class 3 times in high school and two more times in college (I'm not at all good with Math). But somehow managed an A+ in all my statistics classes!! I can try and help you if you need it. It's been a while but I'm sure I could figure it out.

I'm just one of the weird ones who found stats fun!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Stats are evil. The only general advice I can come up with is to draw a picture of the different outcomes, but that really only works for the basics. As far as binomial distributions and Poussin and similar inducers of fear and pain, I'm not much help.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I absolutley LOVED statistics!!! I had to take the same Algebra class 3 times in high school and two more times in college (I'm not at all good with Math). But somehow managed an A+ in all my statistics classes!! I can try and help you if you need it. It's been a while but I'm sure I could figure it out.

I'm just one of the weird ones who found stats fun!
I think I would find it interesting if I knew how to figure out the problems, LOL.

Thank you for the offer. I'm sure you will get a PM or few from me. :)

And yes, stats is EVIL. I hate feeling lost in a class!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I took a stats class every year of college even tho it was only required for 2 semesters. I enjoyed it. I could try to help, although I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of it! LOL

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I took stats and had a terrible time way back when I went to college..I graduated in 1981 so Im sorry, but I dont remember a thing about stats. Good luck! Sounds like you have some people to help you here!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts