Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first want to say thank you to all those who post and are actively involved in the betterment of the breed and the education that you all continuously provide. It has been and is a great help already! I catch myself looking at pedigrees that are halfway around the world and are barely connected to the dog I started with, yet I want to understand Goldens to the best degree possible.
My wife and I are starting our serious search to add a golden-colored member to our family. She had a childhood golden (Abbie) that just passed this summer at the age of 15! I quickly became hooked on the breed from being around her. I had a terrier when I was in grade school and that was the extent of my pet ownership. I loved having a dog and love working with them. Our interests would include a loving pet, intelligence, and outdoor/ hunting-ish.

Now to my questions;
1.) We live in North West Arkansas and are looking for a reputable breeder, one that emphasizes the breed's standard and is an ambassador for goldens in their community. Does anyone have a recommendation around the Mid-West/ TX area?
2.) We are willing to travel a bit, but a lot of the recommendations here are located in the north and NE. (Which if that ends up being the best fit we would do.) What is the opinion on traveling to pick up a puppy/ shipping?
3.) I am a school teacher/ coach and have a pretty good schedule throughout the calendar year (i.e. summer). We are thinking about *attempting* to schedule our new addition around a time that would be most crucial to puppy training. I know that might not come to fruition but we'll try, so my question is when is the best time to really start working with a pup to create that bond?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Ryan and Emilie

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I don't have any breeder advice for you in your area; I do know there are good breeders in your area. Do a forum search here for states around you.

I also wanted to say I looked for a puppy that would be ready to go home at the start of my summer vacation. It did take me a while to find a breeder who would have pups ready to go at that time. I got home on May 9th and I picked Beamer up on May 22nd. I did have to drive 6 hours down and back to pick him up, though. Getting a pup in the summer was the best move for me (I am a college student) and it worked out really well with my schedule.

Reactions: YippieKya

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"We are thinking about *attempting* to schedule our new addition around a time that would be most crucial to puppy training. I know that might not come to fruition but we'll try, so my question is when is the best time to really start working with a pup to create that bond?"

The very best time to get a puppy is when the pup is 7-8 weeks.
Many states now have a law that the pup cannot be sold before 8 weeks of age.

Really important human socialization is imprinted during the 7 - 12 week period.

Here is a link to a chart for puppy development.

Developmental Stages

According to the developmental stages somewhere between 7 and 12 weeks are the best but as many here can tell you no matter when you get that pup with knowledge and training the pups turn out to be great family members. :)

Knowing these stages can be a valuable asset to each of us. It can help us plan the way and the time we may choose to train certain things for the pup.

Here is a great online book by Dr. Ian Dunbar.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

If you go to dogstardaily.com He also has an online book on "After You Get Your Puppy" also.
Dr. Ian Dunbar is a behaviorist and his book really follows the stages and offers tips on giving the pup the best beginning training.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! I remember how difficult the search was to begin!

Here are some closer breeders for you to check in with:

Texas:
www.Apollogoldens.com
www.goldstormgoldens.com
www.xcelerategoldens.com
www.tempogoldens.com
www.sciongoldens.com
www.trailsendgold.com

Missouri:
[email protected]
www.ConfettiGoldens.com
www.heritagegoldens.com

Mississippi:
www.runnymedekennels.com

Tennessee:
www.cobblestonegoldens.com
passionforgold.homestead.com
www.tennesseegoldens.com
www.starfiregoldens.com

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
My Buddy goldens are located in Virginia

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Reactions: YippieKya

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on your decision! Piece of advice since you got to know an adult golden: they are not born that way lol... Golden pups are high energy and very mouthy... With patience and training you get the perfect family member :) (I have to keep reminding myself of that every time I catch Kahuna with something in his mouth haha) Good luck to you and I'm interested to see where you choose and what pup you get :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all of the input already! I cant wait to do some more research. Any more words of wisdom would be more than welcome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Putting out an update. We havent committed to a breeder yet but have talked with Judy at Confetti and Christina at Heritage and both have been beyond great! We have talked on the phone and began the process of being interested in a pup. I am wondering what are the questions to ask now? I have looked at offa. org and checked clearences of their dogs as well as their sires/ dams and siblings, and everything appears to be working in the right direction. There has been no set pair yet, and we are content to be patient as we are shooting for this summer. What should our next step be? We really like their philosophies as well as approach to lifelong connections between the breeder and puppy parent. So we are hoping it all works out. But still curious on whats to do now. Just practice more paticence?

I am curious if anyone has more information to help us continue on in the process? If for some reason the breeding doesnt take or there arnt enough pups...should we have a back up plan? We want to make informed decisions and be asking the right questions at the right times. Just trying to pick the brain of others... Thoughts?

·
Registered
869 Posts
In Texas, I would recommend Brandye Randerman of Xcelerate Goldens and Pat Simpson of Scion Goldens. I know Pat recently had a litter, I don't know if they are all spoken for.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Putting out an update. We havent committed to a breeder yet but have talked with Judy at Confetti and Christina at Heritage and both have been beyond great! We have talked on the phone and began the process of being interested in a pup. I am wondering what are the questions to ask now? I have looked at offa. org and checked clearences of their dogs as well as their sires/ dams and siblings, and everything appears to be working in the right direction. There has been no set pair yet, and we are content to be patient as we are shooting for this summer. What should our next step be? We really like their philosophies as well as approach to lifelong connections between the breeder and puppy parent. So we are hoping it all works out. But still curious on whats to do now. Just practice more paticence?

I am curious if anyone has more information to help us continue on in the process? If for some reason the breeding doesnt take or there arnt enough pups...should we have a back up plan? We want to make informed decisions and be asking the right questions at the right times. Just trying to pick the brain of others... Thoughts?
I saw Judy this past weekend at a dog show. She and her husband Ken are great people. Love Ryder and their newest boy, Rodeo.

Always check OFA website to verify clearances. Ask about temperments. I would always search for other breeders that you like that might be having litters around the same time. If the first does not work out, then you can look to see if the other litters are available. Look at each breeder's contract.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: REG4gold

·
Registered
869 Posts

Judy and Christina are both wonderful people and breeders. You have found 2 good ones!!! I would ask if you have filled out a puppy questionnaire for them and asked to be put on a waiting list that they are keeping for their next litters.

Unfortunately, we are governed as to when puppies will be available by the girls heat cycles and they tend to come in season when they are darned good and ready! :)

If they have given you prospective parents, and you have checked clearances, etc, then yes, a little patience is in order so that breedings can be done and everyone waits for the results. :)

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
You mentioned wanting an outdoorsy/hunting aspect in addition to a nice family companion. There are a number of breeders with nice working lines in Texas, who also have very nice dogs. They all have versatile pedigrees--the dogs will work when you want them to, but also have an on-off switch.
Belvedere--Mercedes Hitchcock, Sugar Land (Houston)
Goldenloch--Deborah Porth Blackwell, Crockett Home Page
Amigold--Terry Thornton, Dallas AMIGOLD RETRIEVERS
Doc's--Mike Connolly, Nagadoches Home

1 - 17 of 17 Posts