Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, had my yearly doctors appt yesterday, and discussed this with him. He has been seeing a 60 to 70% success rate with his patients.

Even with the reported side effects, that's a number that's hard to ignore.

So, since I had a fresh FSA card for this year, I plunked down $158 for the first month kit yesterday. With everything else the scripts ran $400 (and that's co-pay money!).

Day one, Pill one, down the hatch :)

So far I don't feel like dating Zombies or cackling at the moon. If I do, please let me know :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Yahoo!!!!
Hang in there :)

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Congrats! I quit smoking almost three years ago now by using Chantix. I didn't have any weird side effects other than very vivid dreams. It was the easiest quit I ever had!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's no worse than the patches, I'll be good :) You can have some seriously wacked-out dreams on those things!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Good for you for taking that first step. My brother and sister inlaw quit a year ago with the help of Chantix.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Good luck and hang in there! I quit in March 2008 after a 40-year habit, using Chantix. The dreams were real doozies, but it only took three weeks to have NO cravings.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My sister smoked for 20 years before she quit using Chantix. She swears she had no side effects, but I definitely saw some agitation and some moodiness. She also WAY overreacted to to some fairly innocent statements and got a bit paranoid that we were talking behind her back. Not at all typical behavior for her.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Good luck and hang in there! I quit in March 2008 after a 40-year habit, using Chantix. The dreams were real doozies, but it only took three weeks to have NO cravings.
Yup, I only took Chantix for three weeks, too. Mainly because I came down with a horrible stomach virus towards the end of the third week and couldn't keep anything down, so I couldn't take it. Then after 2 days I figured I didn't need it anymore.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a bit of a tummy ache, but nothing I can't handle at this point.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Hooray! I'll be watching you, cause I need to do the same:uhoh:

Yes, vivid dreams and umm.....gas:bowl:

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I've got a bit of a tummy ache, but nothing I can't handle at this point.
ALWAYS eat before taking it. If you don't, you will get very sick. I used to keep bananas on the counter and eat half of one first thing when I got up. Normally I am up for a couple of hours before I eat breakfast, but I needed something on my stomach to take it.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually took it right after breakfast. It took a few hours for the tummy ache to kick in, which surprised me.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If the zombies show up we can help you... I will send you a copy of The Zombie Survival Guide. My family knows what to do when the zombies come LOL.

Good luck to you, you can do this!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
If this is what YOU really want, then you CAN do this!!!!!

I never thought I would ever quit. Tried and failed 2-3 times.

But now it's been 3 months and even 'I' can't believe I have made it this far!!!!

Sunflower seeds have been a HUGE help for me to keep my hands and mouth busy.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Hey, look at me :) 16 days. I love it when something jolts me back to the thought of smoking and I realize I haven't thought about cigarettes in hours! LOL

I'm taking Chantix too. No really bad side effects. More dreams, I might be more tired than usual but not sure that's from the Chantix. I miss smoking a lot, when I'm thinking about it. For me, it's not just about the initial withdrawal, the actual physical cravings ... it's more about learning how to live a different way. I feel like I've lost a dear, dear friend.

Don't let your guard down. Don't give in to that voice in your head that says you can have just one, or one puff -- that's a trap. Be prepared for first time triggers, even if they occur months after you've quit -- like flying for the first time, or mowing the lawn again.

And make yourself a ticker, count your days! Sometimes I just need to see my progress :)

Good luck. You'll have a few rough days ahead and then some more rough days here and there that just seem to come out of the blue ... the moments pass. Be strong, breathe deep and wait :)

I love when I get up in the morning not coughing anymore. My chest is completely clear again.

·
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
479 Posts
I wish you good luck in your quest to quit smoking.

My mom was a 40 year smoker. She was only a light smoker. Didn't chain smoke.

She passed away from COPD about 3 years ago. She did quit smoking about a year before she passed away... but only because she couldn't bare to smoke anymore.

Her death was a long ordeal drawn out over the last year of her life. It got to where she could not even cross the room without being out of breath.... even on O2. She got to where she couldn't walk on her own... at least not without help. I even remember once helping her to the bathroom and she literally fainted backwards right into my arms. She even did the same one night at the hospital and I had to hit the emergency call button to call for help.

In the final stages... with the lungs not functioning correctly.... the heart rate increases and the body burns a lot calories. My Mom was serveraly underweight at the time of her death. I even remember my Mom looking in the mirror and saying(crying), "I'm deformed."

My Mom was 62 when she passed.

I always tell everyone now that if they smoke... they need to quit.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry about your Mom.

Yeah, my Mom is going through the same thing. She has end-stage COPD, and is under Hospice Care now, though still living at home. In 2008 she spent almost 7 month in the hospital and a rehab center.

I wish you good luck in your quest to quit smoking.

My mom was a 40 year smoker. She was only a light smoker. Didn't chain smoke.

She passed away from COPD about 3 years ago. She did quit smoking about a year before she passed away... but only because she couldn't bare to smoke anymore.

Her death was a long ordeal drawn out over the last year of her life. It got to where she could not even cross the room without being out of breath.... even on O2. She got to where she couldn't walk on her own... at least not without help. I even remember once helping her to the bathroom and she literally fainted backwards right into my arms. She even did the same one night at the hospital and I had to hit the emergency call button to call for help.

In the final stages... with the lungs not functioning correctly.... the heart rate increases and the body burns a lot calories. My Mom was serveraly underweight at the time of her death. I even remember my Mom looking in the mirror and saying(crying), "I'm deformed."

My Mom was 62 when she passed.

I always tell everyone now that if they smoke... they need to quit.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone get the blurry vision side-effect? I can't see a **** thing this morning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts