Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shankly has started crying when left on his own again. Hes now 13 months and has been fine since he was 3/4 months old. Now since last Wednesday hes been crying. Wednesday I went down to him as I thought something was wrong he went out side but just wanted to play, so I took him for a walk at 1 in the morning and when we cam back he still cried. I told him off and left him too it and he carried on crying all night.. :mad:

Thursday night he cried again but the we just ignored him and let him get on with it.. The weekend started off ok he cried when we put him to bed but alot quieter same, but tonight he was getting loader again..

Hes eating, drinking, peeing and pooping as normal and playing during the day and dosnt seem ill in anyway. I think he just trying it on because he has had so much attention over the xmas period with so many people coming in and out over the last week..

Has anyone else had this when a routine has been interupted or a dog has had too much attention..? At the moment we have just gone back to basics and ignoring him as if he was a young puppy but are there any other tips or tricks in getting him to settle down again...

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Where do you have him sleeping?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you have him sleeping?
Downstairs on a gated area of the front foom its about 6' by 5'. His crate has been put away since November..

Over Xmas he slept in the kitchen of a family members home and he barked all night and was keeping everyone awake so I stayed with him to keep him calm as the kitchen was alot bigger and noiser than what he was used too.. Partly the reason i think hes trying it on as I gave in over Xmas he thinks I will do it again...

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Is it possible to get his crate out again and have him sleeping in your room? I think you are right, I think he's just missing you (not really such a bad thing). Most Goldens go through fear periods until they are about 3. Maybe he is going through one now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible to get his crate out again and have him sleeping in your room? I think you are right, I think he's just missing you (not really such a bad thing). Most Goldens go through fear periods until they are about 3. Maybe he is going through one now.
Ideally I wanted to keep him out of the bedroom, as its our room and he comes in as treat on weekend mornings...

I didnt realise older Goldens went through fear periods, he had seperation anxiety as a little pup but we just worked through it as I suspect most of us have, but this bout came out the blue and scred me at first...

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Could it be a noise down there that is scaring him. Like a "low battery" smoke detector beep or something?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think going back to basics is a good approach too. When Bogey hit 9-10 months he started to regress in a lot of areas. It was a big pain, but it didn't last too long. And I don't think it's uncommon. I remember posting about it on here and everyone seemed to say it had happened to them too.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The noise was my first thought to be honest but there is nothing I can hear not sure if there is something he can hear...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hoping alot of people where going to come on here and say there little fur balls slipped back to being puppies around 1. As deep down thats what I expected it to be after all the up heaval over xmas and new year... Sounds like we are going to have to continue from the begining again... Thanks for the help...

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Monster in the closet??? Just kidding LOL Goldens do want to be around their people as much as possible. Hopefully it's just all the holiday excitement and he will calm down again soon.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
What about howling wind? I don't know where you are, but by us the wind has been ridiculous at night, and sometimes it will shake a piece of siding or a tree limb will scratch the house. I could see that scaring a young dog.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The more and more I think about it, its the excitement of the holidays.. Hes been given so much attention over the last week or so, I suppose I was looking for a bit of reassurance that its not us doing something wrong and alot of younger dogs will go through simular periods..

Thanks Guys.....

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if the holidays had something to do with it - for a couple of nights (or should that be early morning?) began barking, when i went down to let them out they both had a pee and then mad zoomies round the garden. Things have settled back to normal now. As long as you feel he is ok physically and there is nothing untoward scaring him I think it's time for tough love and ignore him.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone, for the advice..

I think its the excitment of the snow... He calmed down last week after a few days of back to basics and the snow felted away... The snow came down again back end of last week and it started again for a couple of nights but last night he was fine... Hes just at that age we see so many young puppy traits coming back at the moment like bitting his lead and playing tug with it & digging plants etc look slike there could be alot of tough love comming up...!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts