Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two girls, KD and Karma are going to be 12 months old next month. Spending 12 hours a day with them is not easy and my wife says they run my life. I watch everything they do - I go out with them to do their business to make sure they do IT and make sure they don't pick up a rock, stick, leaf or any other foreign object to chew/eat. I let them out when they go to the door - perhaps too many times. Now I know one - Karma - is testing me with that. Last night I got so angry at her because she wanted to go out, wimpering and all that making me think she had to poop.:yuck: Well she wanted poop all right, a nice pile she did earlier that I forgot to clean up. OMG that burns me up when she does that and I caught her, scooped most up and disposed but she found one piece and I caught her to take it from her - we had a Mexican stand off because I couldn't move far enough to get something to pick it up with and she just lie there a few inches away waiting to pounce on it. :mad:

Sorry, I get carried away - my main concern is their health. I know they are going to eat poop but it still makes me upset. Do goldens go through a one year phase of some type where they try your patience more than when they were younger? My little KD is 10 pounds lighter with spindly legs, she walks stiff legged but loves her walks. I normally take them for two walks a day one mile each. Lately KD simply stops walking and looks at me. We don't walk fast but she seems tired so I stop and sit down on the side of the road with her. She puts her front legs over mine and just relaxes - then after about 10 minutes she seems ready to go - then other times she pulls hard the whole mile. Karma will simply lie down the moment we start to walk. I pull her up, she lies down and so it goes until I say "lets go home." She jumps up and heads home. Is it a phase or are they trying my patience? thanks so much for all your wonderful help on this forum. I love it.:doh:

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
LOL, they do sound like a trying pair!

Yes, they can go through a major brat stage at their age. But I definately would have KD looked at. If she is walking stiff legged, it worries me, especially when she needs a break in the middle of a 1 mile walk at 12 months old.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's what I've been saying but my wife says she's always walked that way - stiff legged but she was always the one all about the walk, loving it. So this bratty thing is only a stage? Whew, don't know how much more I can take. thanks again

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Yeah, bratty stages come and go, and I wonder if they will have them all their life? LOL! Merlin is 22 months old and is finishing up the latest brat stage. It lasted about 3-4 weeks. Definitely tries your patience!!

I'm sorry you've had a tough time of it lately. I don't have a poop eater (knock wood). but that would bother me a lot too. Do they eat a lot of stuff in the yard (besides poop) when they're out there?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Yeah, bratty stages come and go, and I wonder if they will have them all their life? LOL! Merlin is 22 months old and is finishing up the latest brat stage. It lasted about 3-4 weeks. Definitely tries your patience!!

I'm sorry you've had a tough time of it lately. I don't have a poop eater (knock wood). but that would bother me a lot too. Do they eat a lot of stuff in the yard (besides poop) when they're out there?
Danny is 23 months and goes through a bratty stage every time we have a foster puppy here. Suddenly he forgets his name, what "come" means and how to settle down.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no...don't tell me that. Yes, they eat anything they can get their little mouth on. We have some rocks around (small) for decoration. They try and get one of them when they come in but it's to the point where I say "drop it" and reluctantly they give it up. Other times they try and smuggle wood chips, sticks, leaves, anything in their mouth. When I see them chewing I take it from them because they have vomited several times and I have found God knows what when cleaning it up. If nothing else, on the way in, they will grab a leaf before coming in the door. They choke on them so I have to take them. I said in another link that every table near a door has a pile of stuff at the end of the day they tried to smuggle inside to chew on. They have chew toys but destroy them so quickly. A 10 buck toy destroyed in 30 seconds. Yup, they are trying my patience but when I start yelling they know it's time for "a time out" in the crate for an hour or so. Then I sit around feeling bad.

·
5,002 Posts
Danny is 23 months and goes through a bratty stage every time we have a foster puppy here. Suddenly he forgets his name, what "come" means and how to settle down.
Hmmmmmm.......so it could be foster related! Hadn't thought of that one. I'll have to see if it happens again after the next foster! :wave:

·
5,002 Posts
It's got to be harder with two!!!! They probably egg each other on outside! :) It does get better/easier though. The bratty episodes are much further apart!!

Have you tried the antlers yet? That might be a good option for a chew toy for your two.

Honestly, at one point with Merlin I quit worrying about a lot of stuff. He chews on sticks....I have a gazillion sticks in my yard and it's just not possible for me to keep them all away from him. He doesn't eat them, just chews and spits out. Leaves on the ground? Fair game for him as well as the pine cones.

It will get better!! Lord knows you must have tons of patience raising two the same age! How about a break one day a week and send them to doggie daycare!? :) They will be so tired the next day it'll be like a two day break! LOL!

I do agree with Fostermom and would take KD to get looked at, just to be sure she is fine.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
That sounds like puppy behavior to me and totally normal. Just be patient and keep working with them.
The stiff leggedness sounds concerning. I'd have the vet check her out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm waiting on antlers that I ordered (can't wait) I think they will love them. Doggie day care.....getting them worn out would be great but these two are afraid of their own shaddow - one is submissive (the larger one) to any dog, even a tiny one, the other can only take so much banter from other dogs with her or her sister before she begins to snarl and growl. We are afraid she is going to attack another dog....she gets that look in her eyes. We have stopped going to the dog park because she will sit under our legs while the other dogs frolic around. If several come around her to play she just doesn't like it. No offense intended to anyone but I have no other way to describe it than I feel like I am taking care of two hyperactive ADHD children of about four years old. I use to take them for a walk together but one would stop and refuse to walk as stated earlier. Now the other is doing it so I take them separately - still doing it. Today I took them both and we walked a block, one sat and refused to come - finally I'd find a way to get her up - we'd go a little and the other sat down....and so it went....all the while getting their leashes tangled so I'm forever untangling leashes and I have a bad back. Whew...it's exhuasting but they need their morning walk to settle them down. Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts