Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( So last Monday I took my "new" old boxer Boy, Toby, to work with me. I just recently adopted/rescued him in June. When I first got him he wouldn't eat well and it took him a good 2 months to settle in and really eat good. I thought things were going good but noticed he seemed to be dropping more weight. I also started noticing him do these weird shaking/tremors in his face and body. My first thought was how my other Boxer started doing that type of things , so my mind was thinking either brain tumor or thyroid problem (or both!).
Took him in and weighed him, he had dropped 11 lbs since June! :uhoh: Yikes! So we pulled blood to send out to check everything. He had bloodwork done in June about 2 weeks before I had gotten him, and everything looked good then (minus thyroid because they didnt do it.)

Next day got bloodwork results back..everything was looking good until I saw the CBC part. Really high WBC, but the majority was very high lymphocytes (both the "normal" value and the absolute value). My heart sank, I know my doctor has told me before that if both are high usually means 1 thing.. Lymphoma. On the notes it said it recommended for a pathologist to review it as the technologist was seeing lots of abnormalities. So I called and had them add that to be done.

Saturday looked online at the results.. Pathologist saw neoplastic lymphocytes..seen with stage V lymphoma. The pathologist couldn't say 100% sure it is that but stated that with the rest of blood work results that it didnt make it likely anything else was going on and if he was showing symptoms it probably is lymphoma. Besides the weight loss, he does have enlarged lymph nodes in his neck,and one on his back leg that somehow we missed on exam that day. Since then they have gotten a little bigger:(. The other tests to absolutely confirm costs over $300.. Which we really don't have at this time, but going with all the signs and the fact it is probably stage V and not much can be done at is point as it probably inside his body in numerous places it is a matter of keeping him comfortable. We started him on prednisone and are also going to add in some herbs as well. I just can't believe this is happened this quickly!

I knew taking in an older dog I wouldn't have him for long but 4 months..that's just not fair! I really hope I can make him comfortable but I know I won't let him suffer. I did get in touch with his previous owner to let her know he is sick and she told me her other dog (a 15 yr old beagle) that she also rehomed was also diagnosed with cancer. She didnt say what kind..but this must be so hard for her to hear about her babies.

Thanks for reading this long post! Just had to get it off my chest.. If anyone has any advice that has gone through lymphoma, especially a late stage one, don't hesitate to give it to me! It's one thing to have clients with their animals going through it, but its another when its your own dog. I've been through bone cancer and possible brain tumor..and now this! I'm also not sure I can do another boxer.. I love them but this makes my heart hurt too much!

·
Kristy
9,291 Posts
I have no perspective on this, I just wanted to let you know that I am so sorry. I wish you had longer with him, I am so glad to hear your attitude that you will make him as comfortable as you can for as long as you can and then you won't let him suffer. Bless you for your good heart.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm so so sorry. Undoubtedly he was brought into your life so you could love him and ease his passage when the time comes. I hope you have much more quality time with him. Bless you for taking in a senior.... his time may be short but the relationship lasts forever. Please give him an ear rub ... or whatever he especially likes... from me.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
I am very sorry. Sending positive vibes and prayers for your sweet Toby boy.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Oh gosh, I am so sorry!
Boxers are so prone to cancers just like our Goldens are. But, you being a fellow tech, you know this already.
But, he is in good hands with you, you gave him a new home and I am sure you are doing what you can for him to make his remaining time a happy and loved time.
Hugs to Toby!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I am so very sorry, but like another poster stated...he came into your life for a reason. You will make his final days wonderful and loving.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone...hoping we have a little more time with him. Started him on the pred and seems to be handling it pretty well. He did pee for like 5 minutes but no accidents. He seems to be resting comfortably too.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I'm a fellow Boxer lover and can't imagine life without one. They sure do break your heart though. As others have said, everything happens for a reason. He will be well loved and cared for in his final days, and that is a true testament of love. I'm sorry that this happened so quickly. Many prayers that the pred works well and that you get more time together.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Sending prayers for sweet Toby.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update..not doing well..

Hey all..just figured I would update on Toby. Tried the prednisone to help keep him comfortable. It seemed to help for a few days, the swelling started going down and he seemed to be tolerating the meds well and no accidents.

Well 4 days later, swelling started creeping up :no: and he started having accidents and having to go every hour. Been home all weekend and still going the same way, swelling getting more noticeable, having a weird licking , swallowing thing going on.

Today I'm going to start weaning him off the pred and see how it goes but have this feeling it's not going to be long. :( I don't want him to be uncomfortable and miserable on the meds or off them too.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Prednisone is known for it negative effects on animals in the long run - must use very carefully with the amount. Initially use always work for a short period of time. depend on the response from pets ... (I think). That is why sometimes they refer this steroid is a short-lived medicine. Your vet will give you correct suggestions and daily dosage - depend on the progress of the illness

This is the good and bad days period? Probably it is the agressive cancer that the amount of Prednisone cannot control?

You are doing a nice job to keep him comfortable and to do things right at the moment because you are thinking of him. I hope the herbal supplements you are using can help a bit. I hope all is good and you are able to be with Toby for a extended long time - good quality time.

Prayers and hugs for Toby and you and your family.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah ..it's tough to see him go through this..and I know the pred was a band-aid type of situation..just was hoping for a longer time but apparently this cancer is pretty aggressive.

If we have work tomorrow I may bring him to work with me..one of the perks at working at a vet hospital. At least to see if he's lost anymore weight and to get the vets opinion too.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thinking of Toby

Sometimes, they decline very fast. They cannot even get up from floor in the morning. It is just sad and heart broken. Just keep Toby comfortable and cherish every moment.

Sending more prayers and hugs for Toby.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts