Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Kate
22,962 Posts
There's one very slightly closer, but everyone else that I've talked to has told me to avoid the instructor. I went to two classes there, did what she told me, and everyone else (including people on GRC) told me that I was doing the same things wrong. However, it's still about 40 mins of driving on a good day.
40 minutes is acceptable to me... generally speaking. You may find that 30-45 minutes is average distance people go for classes. Most dog shows will likely be 1-3 hours away.

Why did people tell you to avoid the instructor?

No idea what GRC is....

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
40 minutes is acceptable to me... generally speaking. You may find that 30-45 minutes is average distance people go for classes. Most dog shows will likely be 1-3 hours away.

Why did people tell you to avoid the instructor?

No idea what GRC is....
They’re fine bringing me to shows because they're on weekends.

Because they don't agree with how she trains and doesn't think that her teaching methods are successful or productive.

I meant GRF- I was thinking about clubs from a different conversation so typed GRC by mistake.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I need help in FL- why don't you just plan on HSing and move down here w me lol! I miss having a daughter who shows dogs in the house...

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I need help in FL- why don't you just plan on HSing and move down here w me lol! I miss having a daughter who shows dogs in the house...
I wish we lived near you! (or was HSed... or both lol)

·
the party's crashing us
4,470 Posts
I tried again today and it just did not work. All of the distraction training we've been doing went absolutely out the window when other dogs would walk past. I've been working on this for weeks and it's like it never happened and all went in one ear and out the other. He still has no concept of focus, no concept of staying put, no concept of standing with his body over his front. Nothing. I've never felt worse about his training. I think that I'm just going to try to find a dog to co own. If I can't teach him how to stack properly, and I can't go to classes, and I can't teach him to ignore other dogs, then there's no point. I'm looking at goldens, berners, collies, and clumbers for co owns.
GIRL your puppy is only like 5 months old. Trust me I expect puppies to forget everything and not hold still until they are out of 9-12 month class! Plus, 90% of handling is THE HANDLER. I learned with my first dog, training too much RUINS THEM. So you're headed down that same path of disappointment.
Even if you bought a dog on a co-own, even if it's a finished dog who knows the ring routine, YOU need to learn to handle. You must go to class, or take lessons, or you'll spend a lot of time making big expensive mistakes in the ring at shows (ask me how I know).
You're putting way too much pressure on your dog and yourself at this point...

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
One of my handler friends always tells me that “nothing important ever happened at a dog show”. Which means “relax you idiot!”

So, r e l a x. Puppies are turkeys. It’s ok. Not every training session goes as planned. We all have bad training days - even with our adult dogs. Sometimes they just leave their brains in the house. Sometimes we leave our brains in the house. It happens.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,957 Posts
GIRL your puppy is only like 5 months old. Trust me I expect puppies to forget everything and not hold still until they are out of 9-12 month class! Plus, 90% of handling is THE HANDLER. I learned with my first dog, training too much RUINS THEM. So you're headed down that same path of disappointment.
Even if you bought a dog on a co-own, even if it's a finished dog who knows the ring routine, YOU need to learn to handle. You must go to class, or take lessons, or you'll spend a lot of time making big expensive mistakes in the ring at shows (ask me how I know).
You're putting way too much pressure on your dog and yourself at this point...
What Anney said.

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Thank you, everyone. I've taken a few days off with him and am feeling much better and am ready to keep trying.

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Lesson learned- don't break your dog. Finn no longer enjoys our show training because I've been too stressed about it, and for a number of other factors it just won't work out with him. However, I'm still going with him in trick dog and scent work, as well as working towards his CGC and hopefully starting in Rally.
I've found another dog to work with in juniors (Pembroke Welsh Corgi) and will be showing him at the end of the month.
Thank you so much to everyone who helped me out here, I appreciate all of your advice and will hopefully be a better listener in the future.

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
An update on my showing- showing with the corgi went well (see my most recent thread) and I am going to be showing him again in breed and hopefully in Juniors (if the co own paperwork will go through in time) at the Thanksgiving shows in West Springfield, MA. There is also a golden specialty on one of the days and I am set up to help out a breeder with her dogs.

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Gesture Window

the stacking vibes that are happening here- got him stacked real nice after grooming and his head was out of frame

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Dog Dog breed Collar Carnivore Fawn

this is what we’ve got with full body in frame... it’s better than it used to be? Question mark?
he’s going through a giraffe phase right now so will look weird regardless, but I think he’s posting less than he used to?

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
View attachment 888582
this is what we’ve got with full body in frame... it’s better than it used to be? Question mark?
he’s going through a giraffe phase right now so will look weird regardless, but I think he’s posting less than he used to?
Have you ever considered showing him in UKC? It’s a lot of fun and may be good as you prepare for your own show Golden. I know you already do juniors and are doing awesome at that, so you might not need the extra practice

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Have you ever considered showing him in UKC? It’s a lot of fun and may be good as you prepare for your own show Golden. I know you already do juniors and are doing awesome at that, so you might not need the extra practice
Would the UKC like him?? As much as I love him, if he were winning in any conformation I’d be a bit concerned about the judging protocols and breed standard of that organization. Is it meant to be more so I don’t become known as “that one kid who showed the BYB golden in breed” among AKC folks?

As it stands, a dog show would be incredibly stressful for both him, and any learned behavior would go out the window. I am hoping that over time we can improve manners (working hard at that right now) and slowly adjust him to crowds and crowds of dogs. However, I don’t think it would really be a positive experience for either of us at the moment. I’m hoping to find a larger dog to show that is another sporting breed (one of the other retriever breeds, maybe) to try to get myself used to the style of showing.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Would the UKC like him?? As much as I love him, if he were winning in any conformation I’d be a bit concerned about the judging protocols and breed standard of that organization. Is it meant to be more so I don’t become known as “that one kid who showed the BYB golden in breed” among AKC folks?

As it stands, a dog show would be incredibly stressful for both him, and any learned behavior would go out the window. I am hoping that over time we can improve manners (working hard at that right now) and slowly adjust him to crowds and crowds of dogs. However, I don’t think it would really be a positive experience for either of us at the moment. I’m hoping to find a larger dog to show that is another sporting breed (one of the other retriever breeds, maybe) to try to get myself used to the style of showing.
There is no doubt he’s out of standard, but only because he’s a lighter boned dog. UKC is only owner handlers and it could be good practice BUT if it will stress him out, I don’t think it’s worth it.

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
Your stacking skills have definitely improved since you started this thread! All four feet and his head appear to be in a good spot for him the full frame photo. Well done!

·
Registered
Finn
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
There is no doubt he’s out of standard, but only because he’s a lighter boned dog. UKC is only owner handlers and it could be good practice BUT if it will stress him out, I don’t think it’s worth it.
I might try it a bit later!
Your stacking skills have definitely improved since you started this thread! All four feet and his head appear to be in a good spot for him the full frame photo. Well done!
Thank you! He still posts a lot but I think we're both getting better at it, and I think that he's more confident. Now I just need to get pretty stacked photos outside lol

81 - 97 of 97 Posts