Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Graham's momma too!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so fall is upon us in Michigan and I swear half the states' squirrel population is in my backyard. I know a lot of goldens just love to chase squirrels, heck, I think its intertwined into their DNA, but how many actually catch them? Midas has caught three in the past three days. I don't know how he does it, but dang, he is fast! He does not eat them at all, just takes a victory lap around the yard and brings them to the back door for me to look at, I know, I am such a lucky woman, LOL! I have a pic from this mornings catch, but I didn't want to offend anyone. Just wondering if there are any other squirrel catchin' goldens out there.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Flora goes bonkers when she sees them, but she can't catch them. She's not smart enough. She kind of slinks up to the squirrel and just stays there until the thing notices her, and THEN she chases it, at which point it's already halfway up a tree. I prefer it that way, though - if she caught a squirrel I don't know what I'd do!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tundra has almost caught one. It's still missing some fur on it's tail so we can always tell when it's around. They come to eat birdseed and Tundra sees them out the bedroom window. I can tell when he sees one cause he kinda tiptoes into the living room to the door. I make him sit and wait so the squirrel can get a head start across the yard cause I don't really won't him to catch one and get his nose bit.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My Beau caught one years ago--it made his day too! He actually went into a bush and came out with it in his mouth, squirrel chirping away. We both yelled Drop at the same time, and obedient boy that he was, he did just that and the squirrel went chattering away to a tree across the street. Our boy was bitten though, in the mouth. We just moved to the neighborhood and it was the day before Thanksgiving--we didn't have a new vet picked out so we drove him to the one place we knew of to get seen. Beau was ecstatic--not only had he gotten a squirrel, he got a car ride and the clinic had cats running around teasing him. The vet laughed at him (I didn't like that) and just updated his rabies, which was due in a month or so. He gave us some antibiotics too.

We are hoping Toby doesn't catch one now that his cataracts are removed.:crossfing

·
Registered
381 Posts
Squirrel explostion here in Florida. Lots of 'em. And noisy and sometimes way too arrogant. Ninja squirrels.

My Golden just occaisionally looks at them, mostly with disdain. Couldn't care less. Much more interested in smelling things.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Magic caught one once and was bitten pretty good. After that I really tried to not let her chase them.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Calvin & Hobbes treed a woodchuck this summer.......never knew a woodchuck could climb...googled it...they can....esp. when chased;)! Couple of days later they had a possum, they were silently standing over it staring at it....Thank Dog it played posum...hate to think what it would do to them:no:.

Bonnie has caught a few bunnies..no squirrels though.....not that they don't try!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
My dogs chase them, but they've never caught one. I personally don't think they would do anything if they DID catch one.

Just the other morning I let my three, the one who was boarding with me and my foster puppy out first thing (it was still dark). When I went to let them in, there were three dogs on the deck, Jasper, the boarder and the foster, no Danny and Jasmine. So I let the three in and then walked out on the deck to call the other two and I looked down in the yard and there were two glowing eyes looking at me from the ground by the fence.

So I called out "leave it" and next thing I knew, Danny and Jasmine were standing next to me wanting to come in. I think it was a possum, but the dogs weren't bothering it, I think they were just curious about what this critter was in the yard. The possum obviously didn't feel threatened because it wasn't playing dead, it was looking at me! LOL

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Possums aren't too smart--a possum family decided to nest and raise their family underneath our decking--with two resident golden retrievers in the small yard barking at them every day!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
While Toby is recuperating from surgery at home I'm spending a few hours each afternoon editing a book I'm in the process of writing (for hubby and me to take to the nursing home in a few decades;)) to celebrate his life adventures so far. This afternoon I got to an incident I wrote about earlier and it's appropriate to the topic of squirrels. We have a squirrel that delights in taunting Toby. He (she?) takes up residence in our front yard red oak tree in full view of our front storm door, which Toby enjoys looking out when we open the door up. The storm door had a thumb latch lock on it, which worked well for our other dogs to keep them inside. One day Toby decided he wanted to go chasing his tormentor :cavalry: and somehow he opened the thumb latch lock and tore off :cavalry:. I was on my computer and heard the door swish closed. I heard Toby growling and barking a few minutes earlier at the squirrel and when I heard the door noise I just KNEW!! :doh: :uhoh:I ran to the front door screaming Toby NOOOOOOO as I looked out and saw him across the street, barking at a tree in my neighbors yard! I flew outside to retrieve him as my next door bubba neighbor got in his Dodge Ram pick up truck snickering and smiling. :p: Thank DOG we live on a very quiet street, otherwise it could have been bad. When it happened a second time (this time hubby was home), he immediately put another lock on the door that requires a lot of thumb strength to open. I swear Toby was staring at it after it was installed trying to figure out how he could defeat it!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Penny has never caught one but we all thought it was great sport to try.

Until....

she tore her ACL. It took almost a year of small tears before the final one. I'd see her pull up just a teeny bit and take one hop of a step. Noticed it but didn't think much of it until it finally tore completely. Then, looking back we see that this was a disaster of our own making.

I will never encourage or allow her to chase again. So totally not worth it.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
Well... I never thought Tesia would be able to catch one. :doh:

This little corner of Toronto is Squirrelville, and Tee used to LOVE chasing them. I always let her because, well, there's no way she could catch one, right?

:no:

One day, she caught up to one. She got him, and as she did, both at the exact same time, I yelled TESIA!!! - and she leaped back, like she was equally shocked she had caught up to him. The poor squirrel went head over butt about three times, sat up, shook himself out of stunnedness, and carried on. All along, my stunned girl was watching, equally stunned.

Now, I think she knows she's not fast enough anymore, but every so often, she gives it a try. I love when she does. It means she's feeling full of beans. :)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
We have lived in this house for over 30 years and only started getting squirrels about 3 years ago. Wonder why? (maybe the trees had to grow large enough first?)

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Hannah has certainly tried but not been successful, thank goodness! As for the others, they run from window to window when they see them. The chipmunks on the other hand, they tease the heck out of them!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts