Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
16,000 Posts
I got one and it went out to the end of the driveway with a "FREE" sign taped to it. I hated it. The dogs leaned on it when moving and would have not only hurt themselves, but learned to gait "off". I have a much easier time of biking with them on their regular collar and lead. They trot nicely beside (and slightly ahead) of me which is what I want in the ring. No pulling, no leaning.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have one, and i love it!!! so do the dogs, when they see me attach it to my bike they get all excited, I havent had any problems with it. at first my dogs leaned also, but after using it about three times, they are fine, the rope is loose and they walk/trot/run very nicely on it, since getting it, my dogs have also started walking right besides me on walks, I think they got use to being besides be on the bike, and are now doing the same on walks.
its not for every dog, but i would recomend it.
and that price looks pretty good. I got mine almost a year ago for 100 bucks off of e-bay.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also go with the leash and collar. There is more control, they also pick it up really fast. I have been afraid to use the bar/spring thing. I would hate for my dog to take off and pull my bike sideways. If you just have a leash you can always just let go if needed.

I am interested to hear how many more people use it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I had my Beagle I use to just have her on a leash. She got good at it but at times it was tough especially when she saw a stick that she wanted.

I was hoping with this thing I could just ride and not worry about Cody running into my wheel. I plan to multi task by running him and pulling the kids in the bike trailer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
thats why i got it, because my dog would take off, when i had her on the leash, and I couldit let go, she would of been hit by a car, instead i would hold on and try to stop the bike, we never got hit by a car, but i have some huge cuts on my legs from trying to stop the bike. with the springer we can't crash, she can try to pull all she wants, the bike isn't going anywhere, thats why there is a spring. I can ride safley with my dogs by the highway now!! without being scared that one of us will get hit. and whats a plus, is you can ride with two dogs at the same time, you have to go a little slower, so they won't trip over eachothers feet but you can do it. another thing ive noticed, is we stop alot at crosswalks and such, and my dog is always looking at me waiting for me to give her the signal that we will be stoping, and now she looks at me alot more when we are on walks too. I have been using a hand signal ( i put my hand down by my side, and she stopps) but i am using a voice comand also ( woah).
besides my dgos, i think this is the best thing ive ever bought. IMHP.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
We've always just used a regular leash while biking with them as well. And actually I prefer rollerblading with the dogs over biking... much more of a workout for them, as they actually pull me along.

·
16,000 Posts
I have never seen a dog track straight when on a Springer. I cannot take the chance of a dog's movement being compromised or them being injured. I know that mine work straight on a lead, and they do love being biked.
If it works for you, great!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never seen a dog track straight when on a Springer. I cannot take the chance of a dog's movement being compromised or them being injured. I know that mine work straight on a lead, and they do love being biked.
If it works for you, great!

man that picture is dated, lol

I think I am going to get one in the spring. Save my pretty pennies and buy one. I doubt I will find it localy but I will try.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
There have been a few posts on biking with your dog. One talked about the Walky Dog, I think I might get it over the Springer. Sienna is VERY active and pulls on walks. We live right near bike trails and I think it would be a great way to tire her out, not to mention my son would rather ride his bike than walk.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=38181&highlight=bike
http://www.walkydogusa.com/
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=7706&highlight=bike
thank you for posting this!
It is quite a bit cheaper too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Go for the Walky Dog!

I think I posted about it long ago. Did the research and many said that Springers keep the dog rear of your field of vision. The Walky has the dog right there at your side. I was worried since I am over 50 and don't bounce as well as I used to:no:. We use it all the time and have had no trouble ever. It was incredibly stable even when he wanted to bolt to meet a neighbor, and he is very strong. (When there is a rabbit or squirrel, I just speed up and he can't break after it.)

Keep a close eye on conditioning those pads. And don't run a dog until those bones are fully formed. Ask your vet when s/he recommends vigorous exercise. That said, the WD is a life saver when you want to wear off some of that golden energy and have a sane pup!

·
Registered
104 Posts
pulling on walks...

I noticed a couple of things after I posted. I would be very cautious letting any youngster use a device with the dog. I am absolutely careful not to jerk the front tire suddenly. I don't think a dog could get hurt, but the pup is way too close to that tire and could get very scared and a child could panic and fall. A bike on a child would hurt and could critically injure the dog. These things are not meant to be used by children

Our guy used to pull on walks. We started using the Gentle Leader harness. and never use a flexy leash (they invite dogs to lead the pack). When he would try to pull ahead, we did an about face...every time...no exceptions!!! It took time and he (and we) got tired of it. But now, he walks at heel on a loose leash and collar (though my husband still prefers the harness.) We only have trouble if it is a windy day and there are leaves blowing...then he loses his mind (pup, not husband). Those days we go to the dog park and keep the walks short! Hope he grows out of that one someday! Good luck!

·
16,000 Posts
I noticed a couple of things after I posted. I would be very cautious letting any youngster use a device with the dog. I am absolutely careful not to jerk the front tire suddenly. I don't think a dog could get hurt, but the pup is way too close to that tire and could get very scared and a child could panic and fall. A bike on a child would hurt and could critically injure the dog. These things are not meant to be used by children

Our guy used to pull on walks. We started using the Gentle Leader harness. and never use a flexy leash (they invite dogs to lead the pack). When he would try to pull ahead, we did an about face...every time...no exceptions!!! It took time and he (and we) got tired of it. But now, he walks at heel on a loose leash and collar (though my husband still prefers the harness.) We only have trouble if it is a windy day and there are leaves blowing...then he loses his mind (pup, not husband). Those days we go to the dog park and keep the walks short! Hope he grows out of that one someday! Good luck!
What are you considering a "youngster"? They shouldn't be biked until at least 18 months of age...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
18 months?

I understand keeping a puppy from running hard constantly for 30 minutes or more but if you had a huge back yard whats the diffrence in letting the dog run like mad for 15 minutes in the yard or for a slow trot on the bike for 15 minutes?

·
16,000 Posts
18 months?

I understand keeping a puppy from running hard constantly for 30 minutes or more but if you had a huge back yard whats the diffrence in letting the dog run like mad for 15 minutes in the yard or for a slow trot on the bike for 15 minutes?
Because even running like mad for 15 minutes in a yard is less concussive than trotting on a hard surface. Additionally, playing in the yard includes periods where the dog isn't moving, but is stopped - sniffing, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts