Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kirsten and Whiskey
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone puppy cut their goldens in the summer? If so, will all the feathering come back in? We do a lot of hiking off trail in the warmer months and like any good golden, Whiskey loves to run through the tall weeds and grass. Needless to say, he ends up covered in burrs and snarls.
Any suggestions?

·
Kate
21,498 Posts
No... never. o_O

And I go off trail with Jacks too. When it's burr or worse sticky weed season I do have to sit down and pick things out of his coat, but they come out pretty easy. I'd rather deal with that hassle rather than ruin my guy's coat. <0- I should probably add, just for the sake of total honesty... Jacks is on leash the entire time. If I see a burr patch ahead or something I personally don't want to walk through, we sidetrack.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Some people do a puppy cut in the summer but I don't believe in it. I feel their coat protects them from heat as much as from cold.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
No summer cuts here. I slick down with Cowboy Magic before a hike where burrs might be a big problem. I know people with Aussies who spray their undersides with Pam Cooking Spray for a similar effect -- then just wash the dog after the hike.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Trimming the trousers into shorts may be a good idea and yes they will grow back in. Nothing worse that being tangled in thorny stuff.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Keep in mind the undercoat is usually softer and more apt to collect junk than the topcoat. So trimming the dog down means there's more soft stuff for the burrs and so on to get into. Spraying down before, and then after if needed works quite well, and some good combing will get most things out. If you know an area is bad for burrs then don't even risk it off leash, not worth it. Bender has been so bad she's looked like a lab, all her feathering and so on tangled up, but with some spray and combing it all comes out - the time she was that bad I just did her in sections so she got a break and she was fine.

If anything, you can get a groomer to take thinning shears to the thicker areas to thin them down, and shave the belly area if needed.

·
Kirsten and Whiskey
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I just want to get some thoughts so I can have some time to think about it. There is a creek that we like to hike to, and after he swims he always goes nuts. Last time when he came home he was covered in burrs all the way to his skin.
I felt so bad for him, but he was a good boy for the 2 hours it took to remove them. It is the zooming after the creek swimming that does him in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts