Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
A recent article regarding Bravetco, Nexguard, which also includes a new product Simparica:

Bravecto, Nexgard And Simparica: Are These Oral Flea And Tick Preventives Safe? - Dogs Naturally Magazine
Gatsby had annual check up recently. He got his 3 years rabies, lepto, the vet recommended Bravecto (I used revolution before). He got all of this in the morning and in the afternoon he had a seizure. Could be a coincidence as he had a seizure this past December while not on Bravecto, surely he is a seizure prone dog. I wish I checked the most common side effects before giving him Bravecto, instead I trusted the vet who knew about his December episode.

·
Charlotte
5,910 Posts
I give Jess Nexgard. We started over a year ago , but I do not give it in the winter months. We've had no problems. We have a cottage in an area heavy with ticks, our cottage neighbour's dog has Lyme.
I do believe in considering all factors when making decisions.
I chose Nexgard over bravecto because it does not last as long . Jess had his three year rabies shot and I waited two weeks before starting the Nexgard.
It's a very personal decision. I don't think there is any right or wrong here, we're all trying to do what is best for our dogs.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Gatsby had annual check up recently. He got his 3 years rabies, lepto, the vet recommended Bravecto (I used revolution before). He got all of this in the morning and in the afternoon he had a seizure. Could be a coincidence as he had a seizure this past December while not on Bravecto, surely he is a seizure prone dog. I wish I checked the most common side effects before giving him Bravecto, instead I trusted the vet who knew about his December episode.
I am so sorry to hear that your Gatsby seemed to have such a severe reaction. He may not be a "seizure prone" dog, however may be a dog who's immune system is reacting to both the re-vaccination and the Bravetco, specifically if given in tandem or closely therein.

IMHO your DVM should have never "boostered" rabies and lepto together, in addition to giving Bravetco in tandem ...many dogs have a severe reaction to the leptospirosis vaccine.

Truly I am shocked that your vet would have prescribed/administered what he/she did knowing Gatsby's history.

I live "around the corner" from you. Brisby and I hike in the bush here every day, swim etc. at Greenwood, Grand Valley, West Shore etc. She has to stand in every puddle we see, swamp even better!!

I have never given her any flea/tick/heartworm meds ( and I NEVER will) and I haven't vaccinated her since her one year "boosters". I ran titers for her this year for DAP, rabies and they were all strong and she is now 5 years old ( June).

I have our DMV run a SNAP 4Dx twice a year for heart worm and tick borne disease.

I feed raw and use diet and natural repellents to deter tick/flea/mosquito etc...and we have never had an issue.

We may get 2 ticks/year, however I check thoroughly after we have been out and remove them ASAP. If I am concerned, I have our DVM run another SNAP 4Dx after the required time frame for any exposure of disease to be detected. Personally I obviously do this as I feel more comfortable doing the above for Brisby's health than exposing her to potential over-vaccination and neurotoxic pesticides, which may wreck havoc on her immune system and her overall health and longevity.

I will probably be slagged for this comment, however I find it astounding, that so many GR owners or potential owners are so concerned about good breeders and clearances ( which is extremely important...I agree), yet when this "well bred" pup with all clearances comes home, some seem not to do all the same due diligence to research what they choose to do to continue to give their dogs the best chance of a long and healthy life relative to diet, vaccination, medication, preventatives etc....and blindly trust the main stream veterinary profession.

I know everyone here is doing what they feel is in the best interests of their dog/s. with more than good heart and intentions.

That said though, dogs are dying younger and earlier from cancer and other disease....specifically GRs at a more than alarming rate. I read this on the forum all the time and it totally breaks my heart....and then some. Please think about it folks...our precious babies only are with us for 10-12 years, if we are fortunate. What do we choose to "pump" into them to keep them "safe" yet what do these things potentially do that may have severe effects on their health vs risk?

My response likely has totally derailed this thread and for that I am truly sorry.

My total motivation for this post and many of the others I have posted here on this forum is to share things I come across to help or not, to give you the best options to have the best,healthy and longest duration of you journey with your precious pups.

I have chosen my path with Brisby. Only time will tell if I made the right decision or not....and of course that is the same for all of you, knowing that you love your pups and are doing the same.

Peace all with love...:)

·
3 goldens
11,706 Posts
We rarely have a flea problem here, but have from time to time. I gave our late golden girl Sophie, and our Pyrenees, Sir Moose Bravecto--and Sophie went into a horrible seizure a few hours later. And dumb me didn't make the connection. Til it happened again the next month and then I realized it was the Bravecto that was cuasing her seizures. She never got another and neither has Sir Moose.

·
1,111 Posts
We rarely have a flea problem here, but have from time to time. I gave our late golden girl Sophie, and our Pyrenees, Sir Moose Bravecto--and Sophie went into a horrible seizure a few hours later. And dumb me didn't make the connection. Til it happened again the next month and then I realized it was the Bravecto that was cuasing her seizures. She never got another and neither has Sir Moose.
Thank you for sharing this. I am so sorry that you had this experience with Bravecto with your Sophie.

Sadly many others have as well and worse.

As you all know, I don't use any of these, however there is a Facebook group dedicated to following the effects of Bravecto, reporting what has happened to their companions after dosage etc.

They describe themselves as:

Description

This Group is a place to talk about Bravecto and any potential impact it had on your dog.

Since starting this group in August 2015, we have had numerous posts worldwide detailing side effects of Bravecto.

Some of the most common are diarrhea, vomiting, blood in stool, seizures, kidney and liver concerns, skin issues, and death.

We have obtained FDA reports of adverse events that many veterinarians don't have even thought they sell this product.

The FDA reports are consistent with the side effects reported here.

We will continue to get updated reports for our members to see.

We also help people report symptoms to Merck and the FDA and provide support to those with dogs experiencing side effects.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411371212394679/

You and others may want to add your experience so that hopefully Merck will add this input to their "scientific study" on this approved drug deemed safe for our dogs.

·
3 goldens
11,706 Posts
Yes, I am a member of that group. It seems that is a dangerous drug. After ProHeart6 killed my Hunter and I started using the computer I found tons of stories of deaths. And Fort Dodge KNEW it. So many of us sent in reports, copies of our dogs medical records, etc to the FDA animal division and Dr. Victoria Hampshire saw the pattern and started procedures to get I removed. Fort Dodge fought back and she actually lost her job. BUT then it was pulled, the proof was in records, and she ended up being named Vet of the year. It is my understanding that ProHeart6 was the first animal med ever pulled.

This is how goes. These big pharma companies (and others) KNOW what is going on. But they figure out that they can make XXX amount of dollars until it is pulled, and only pay out X amount in suits, so it is worth their while to keep it on the market as long as they can. They did this with a car that had a problem that if it was hit a certain way, the gas tank caught on fire--think it was a Pinto, but not sure. GREED simple and pure. And with animal meds, not much chance of being sued. , getting very little money. I was in contact with about 150 who had lost or almost lost their dogs to ProHeart6. One in Colo took all 3 of hers in the sme day and within a month two were dead (one from dying liver, one from AIHA and my Hunter had BOTH) and the other was on meds the rest of his life. FD never gave her a penny. I am not sure why they paid so much of Hunter's bill. I didn't try to sue,just wrote them 2-3 times a week and copies of deaths. At first they contacted my vet and asked if he thought I would take a settlemtn and had the realease for me to sign. He called me and I went and got it, read the letter and wrote on it SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE' and sent it back. Kept the released form--which said I would never talk about his death, never disclose how much they paid, etc. Then suddenly out of the blue, they paid without me signing, no idea why, so I wa able to go on warning folks and still get most of my money back. Then then months after Hunters' death (about 5 months after they sent the money) the FDA had them pull it. According to FDA redoreds, it killed more dogs in the first 4 years it was on the market than ALL others combined and some had been out more than 20 years.

·
1,111 Posts
Yes, I am a member of that group. It seems that is a dangerous drug. After ProHeart6 killed my Hunter and I started using the computer I found tons of stories of deaths. And Fort Dodge KNEW it. So many of us sent in reports, copies of our dogs medical records, etc to the FDA animal division and Dr. Victoria Hampshire saw the pattern and started procedures to get I removed. Fort Dodge fought back and she actually lost her job. BUT then it was pulled, the proof was in records, and she ended up being named Vet of the year. It is my understanding that ProHeart6 was the first animal med ever pulled.
I am so , so sorry that you lost your Hunter to one of these "preventatives". The horror stories at the FB are just that...horror stories of what has happened to so many dogs after taking just one dose :bawling::bawling:

This is how goes. These big pharma companies (and others) KNOW what is going on. But they figure out that they can make XXX amount of dollars until it is pulled, and only pay out X amount in suits, so it is worth their while to keep it on the market as long as they can. They did this with a car that had a problem that if it was hit a certain way, the gas tank caught on fire--think it was a Pinto, but not sure. GREED simple and pure.
Agreed. Sadly it seems this is true with big pharma in the human realm as well.

And with animal meds, not much chance of being sued. , getting very little money. I was in contact with about 150 who had lost or almost lost their dogs to ProHeart6. One in Colo took all 3 of hers in the sme day and within a month two were dead (one from dying liver, one from AIHA and my Hunter had BOTH) and the other was on meds the rest of his life. FD never gave her a penny. I am not sure why they paid so much of Hunter's bill. I didn't try to sue,just wrote them 2-3 times a week and copies of deaths. At first they contacted my vet and asked if he thought I would take a settlemtn and had the realease for me to sign. He called me and I went and got it, read the letter and wrote on it SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE' and sent it back. Kept the released form--which said I would never talk about his death, never disclose how much they paid, etc. Then suddenly out of the blue, they paid without me signing, no idea why, so I wa able to go on warning folks and still get most of my money back. Then then months after Hunters' death (about 5 months after they sent the money) the FDA had them pull it. According to FDA redoreds, it killed more dogs in the first 4 years it was on the market than ALL others combined and some had been out more than 20 years.
Companion animals in most geographic regions are considered property, therefore any loss if obtained during litigation is very small. Add to that the shorter life span of dogs. If these drugs don't evoke and immediate reaction and/or death, I would assume that it would be very difficult to "prove" that the particular "preventative" was the cause.

Hopefully the rise of social media to enable the reporting of drug & vaccine reactions, will put pressure on Big Pharma to become more accountable, however sadly I have my doubts. There is too much $$ to be made with little repercussions or accountability to phase this mega industry, which IMHO has only ONE interest in mind...and that is profit and not the welfare of whom it should serve.

Kudos to you for standing up and taking them to task!! Tragic that you had a reason and need to do so.

Thank you for sharing...again I am so sorry.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts