Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This is a really helpful thread, thank-you for posting!!

We are switching it up this year and using trifexis. Our vet went through all of the options this week, he owns/breeds Goldens and said "mine are getting this one" and the switch was easy for me.

The one we used last year (name escapes me) said on his grid of all the options it protects against demodex....and with 4 months of gross, gross ivermectin and treating that, I wanted to change it up and rotate to another brand this year.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
After one of my dogs experienced a violent colitis reaction to Comfortis, given with Interceptor, and my puppy experienced extreme lethargy on dosing days for two months on Trifexis, our vet switched us to Heartgard Plus (until Interceptor is back) and a newer flea and tick topical called Parastar Plus. I used Parastar for the first time on both dogs and neither reacted. So far we haven't seen fleas or ticks, but we are in the cold season. I feel more comfortable with a topical flea and tick med based on the reactions we saw with the oral medication. I wanted to alert others who might want to try a newer topical flea and tick preventive. I understand it's now available nationwide. It has the same active ingredient as Frontline Plus; however, it's delivered differently and works a little differently according to our vet.

Parastar

·
Keisel & Miller's Mom
957 Posts
Thanks Joyce for bumping this thread... this should be a sticky!!

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
What is the latest on safe flea treatments? I'm not 100 percent sure yet, but want to research now. Frontline and such has a bad rap, are those safe or is there a better way to treat an existing problem? We prefer err on the least toxic method. Ick!!!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
92 Posts
Early in the thread someone wrote put side effects down in this thread so here I go. My 2 1/2 year old boy Buddy, has been on Trifexis with no issues since he was a puppy. About two months ago I bought a new batch and gave it to him around May 5. Memorial Day he came in the house and had a violent episode. I thought he was choking on something so U gave him the Heimlich and he recovered after violently convulsing for about a min. We took him to a vet and they did a complete blood work up and took X-rays to check for any foreign bodies. He was fine except his phosporus level was low. We then took him to our vet who was also puzzled but couldn't say what was wrong with him so we observed him. Things were fine until it was time for his Trifexis dose in June. We gave him his dose in the morning with his breakfast and about 10:30 that night he had a grand mal seizure in our driveway as I was finishing his walk. He want to sleep and had another one at 5:30 in the morning. We took him to a vet and they tested him for several other conditions but nothing positive. He is now on Keppra for the foreseeable future, maybe forever and although I can't say with certainty I can't help but believe that the batch of Trifexis caused this. Nothing else makes sense unless he has epilepsy. He has had no symptoms prior to these seizures. I am not saying bad drug but I suspect it. Obviously we are done with Trifexis with Buddy. I now need to find a flea and tick solution. I hate topical things and I'm not convinced that I may have the same problem with other treatments

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
This thread hasn't been touched in awhile, but it's so helpful. I've had Duke and Charlie on Revolution for the past year, but am now exploring other options. I'm looking at sentinel as a possible change. What do most folks recommend for tick prevention? I'm looking at the spreadsheet, but not seeing an alternative for just that and I don't want to do a tick collar as my vet tech suggested. I sleep with my boys and don't want that on my bed.

·
Kate
20,697 Posts
Jen - my vet doesn't suggest doubling up meds. So if you need flea/tick coverage, they recommend heartguard. We don't really have fleas or tick so Sentinel works... when I do need tick stuff, it's heartguard/vectra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having trouble opening the chart at the beginning of this thread. Does it work and is the info current?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 68 Posts