Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do you think it does cover whips, since it's not on the label?
I KNOW it covers whips-I've used the guarantee several times for clients.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
That's interesting they cover whips too. Our vet pulled Heartgard Plus from the clinic because they didn't cover whips and Interceptor did....and I was perfectly happy with the Heartgard Plus too. My guess is there was another underlying reason for the switch in medications they carried.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
Thats good to know, thanks. Interceptor is acutally more expensive, so if Heartgard Plus will do the same job I can go back to HG.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
Ok, wait. I read that again. Does that mean that several dogs got whips while taking Heartgard Plus, and had to be treated for them? Then HG covered the treatment?

I guess I should have worded my question, do you think HGP treats and prevents whipworms effectively?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, wait. I read that again. Does that mean that several dogs got whips while taking Heartgard Plus, and had to be treated for them? Then HG covered the treatment?

I guess I should have worded my question, do you think HGP treats and prevents whipworms effectively?
I guess I didn't read the question right-HG does not "do" whips but the guarantee will pay for treatment if the dogs comes down with whips while on the med. I don't particularly like Interceptor's guarantee as the dog actually needs to be sick from the parasite (not just test positive like HG) before they will cover the treatment.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I've always given Heartgard / Heartgard Plus without incident. Sam nor Ike ever tested positive for any parasites.

I used Frontline for years and when Sam contracted Lyme's while on it, I switched to Advantix. Ike was started on Advantix ll but would become very itchy at the site of the drops so I'm back to using Frontline Plus and it does not cause him to itch. I haven't found any ticks on him either, where I would find ticks with the Advantix drops.

·
3 goldens
11,706 Posts
I really don't know muc about who will pay what for what, but i have read over and over that companies will not pay for treatment if the prevention was purchass online, etc instead of from the vet.

Also years ago when i first heard of reveolution i considered using it rather than buying Interceptor and Fronline. But my vet no longer carried it. Said to many of hisclinet's dogs came down with heartworms while on it. he could not say if it was faulty product or people not using it correctly. but he stopped carrying anyway.

also, when proheart6 killed my hunter, a lady started dogsadversereactions.com and that lady digs and digs. she got the thing from the fda as to reported rections/deaths and found that revolution was 2ed to proheart6 in reactions and deaths. This was almost 8 years ago. so i don't know how it stands now.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Thanks, 3 Goldens. Here's your link to a site about dog's adverse reactions to various products, including flea, tick and heartworm meds: DogsAdverseReactions. There's a lot of information about products we rely on.

·
Loving memory of Phoebe
212 Posts
Thanks, 3 Goldens. Here's your link to a site about dog's adverse reactions to various products, including flea, tick and heartworm meds: DogsAdverseReactions. There's a lot of information about products we rely on.
No offense, but that "website" is full of dead links and is so chaotic it practically becomes gibberish. We have tried flea shampoos, flea dips, Frontline, had the house treated by professional pest control, and now have Comfortis on order and are almost at wits end on how to get rid of the problem.

Just hoping Comfortis will do the trick.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Can anyone tell me the best product for ticks..UGH I have been finding them on my dogs...I hate ticks....I am going to have to have my yard treated, they are on Sentinal....but I see that does not protect them from ticks...Im at my wits end...I have used Advantix but I still find ticks on them....what can I do????

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Okay I am a little confused. My vet told me that Revolution takes care of hook and round worms in dogs. But according to their website it doesnt take care of round or hooks in dogs but does in cats...its the SAME ingredient used in dogs/cats.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Okay I am a little confused. My vet told me that Revolution takes care of hook and round worms in dogs. But according to their website it doesnt take care of round or hooks in dogs but does in cats...its the SAME ingredient used in dogs/cats.
It does intestinal parasites in cats because they groom themselves and ingest some of the medicine. Dogs don't groom enough to take in enough of the med to kill intestinal parasites.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Can anyone tell me the best product for ticks..UGH I have been finding them on my dogs...I hate ticks....I am going to have to have my yard treated, they are on Sentinal....but I see that does not protect them from ticks...Im at my wits end...I have used Advantix but I still find ticks on them....what can I do????
I used a Scalibor collar this spring/summer/fall with my girls and was very happy.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Can you clarify Sarah.... Do you use in conjunction with another product? If so, do you leave the collar on all the time, or only when going into field/woody areas?

I used a Scalibor collar this spring/summer/fall with my girls and was very happy.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Can you clarify Sarah.... Do you use in conjunction with another product? If so, do you leave the collar on all the time, or only when going into field/woody areas?
Yes, I use it with Trifexis currently. The combo is probably overkill for fleas, but I have the Trifexis already so I'll keep using it (meaning I would be pretty comfortable just using Heartgard, etc. with the collar and expect control of HW, flea, and tick).

You have to leave the collar on all the time. It works by friction to release the medicine unlike regular flea or tick collars which exude medicine all the time. It even has to be on the dog for 2 weeks before it protects. I like that there is no issue with water/swimming unlike the Preventic collar which is NOT recommended to get wet. It doesn't smell at all and with goldens (even my field goldens that don't have tons of hair), you have to be looking for it to see it most of the time.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I wrote down all my research too, with the help of the attached spreadsheet. Thanks!

Flea and heartworm prevention options for dogs

I looked at your page. The one thing I would add is that side effects are extremely rare. Of course everyone has to make the decision for themselves and their dog(s), the risk of taking the medicine is FOR ME is far less than the risk of developing heartworm or tick borne diseases and the effects of those diseases and their treatments.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
I looked at your page. The one thing I would add is that side effects are extremely rare. Of course everyone has to make the decision for themselves and their dog(s), the risk of taking the medicine is FOR ME is far less than the risk of developing heartworm or tick borne diseases and the effects of those diseases and their treatments.
I definitely agree with this. As Tippykayak has said, studies have shown that dogs treated with tick preventatives actually live longer lives than those who have no been.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I definitely agree with this. As Tippykayak has said, studies have shown that dogs treated with tick preventatives actually live longer lives than those who have no been.
I thought that the studies showed that there was a lower incidence of lymphoma and hemangiosarcoma? Are there other studies?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts