Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attached (as a pdf) is a spreadsheet I put together comparing (most of) the heartworm, flea, and/or tick products that are currently available. I did not include the new "generics" as the information for the original product should be sufficient (for example, look up Frontline for info on Fiproguard, etc.). I'm sorry if I missed any! Oh, and the type is kind of small on the pdf because of all the info that I wanted to include (product name, active ingredients, which parasites it got, general notes on the product), so use the + button on Adobe to make the font larger.

View attachment Med spreadsheet.pdf

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much for doing this. If I were to add anything, it would be a column with information about side-effects.
Thanks. I'm afraid if I tried to put all the possible side effects for each med on the list, it would probably be 5 miles long! Maybe if people have had personal experiences with any particular drug and the side effects, they could post to this thread?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Iowa Gold, thank you for putting this together.

There is now a poll that is posted that is asking what heartworm preventative folks are using.
Can you cross reference your spreadsheet since it would be so helpful for people.

Thank. you.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
This is great information, thank you.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I am sure this will be helpful to others. I discovered products that I wasn't familiar with on the list, so thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Thanks. I'm afraid if I tried to put all the possible side effects for each med on the list, it would probably be 5 miles long! Maybe if people have had personal experiences with any particular drug and the side effects, they could post to this thread?
You bet!

Frontline Plus triggered grand-mal seizures in my Charlie. They would occur 8-12 hours after an application. The Environmental Protection Agency is conducting a study of "spot-on" flea/tick preventatives, including Frontline Plus.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Moderators, please make this a STICKY!

Thank you Sarah! I'm able to figure out exactly what my HW and flea/tick products protect against by looking at this spreadsheet. It looks like our biggest threats for Toby are Tapes and Mites.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
One thing - the Advantage Multi covers heartworms. Otherwise we would be in big trouble with our collie. o_O
OMG how did I miss that (apparently I missed Revolution too)! I'll fix that on the original and try to replace it!

ETA: FIXED!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Thanks, I am taking my copy to the vet tomorrow since Jaro's recent fecal came back positive for whipworms and I want to change to something that covers that. He took Panacur for 3 days, and in 30 days is suppose to do it again, but I am afraid those little eggs will be in my backyard for years to come and I don't want to keep treating him for reinfestations.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Revolution just started handing out pills with their topline products for hook worms and roundworms.... Pricey but I love that it also protects against ticks and fleas in addition to heartworms

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Thanks, I am taking my copy to the vet tomorrow since Jaro's recent fecal came back positive for whipworms and I want to change to something that covers that. He took Panacur for 3 days, and in 30 days is suppose to do it again, but I am afraid those little eggs will be in my backyard for years to come and I don't want to keep treating him for reinfestations.
Been there, and in some climates (probably my hot, humid one) the eggs can persist in the soil up to 5 years!
BTW, when it happened to Brooks, I was a new pet owner and didn't really understand what I was told when someone said, if you had your dog on Heartguard, and he got whipworms, you can contact the Heartguard company and they may reimburse you for your medical expenses. I thought, no way, so didn't even try. But years later I heard this again, so maybe it is true.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
Heartgard Plus covers heart worms, round worms, and hook worms. Interceptor also protects agains whip worms, but Heartgard does not.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heartgard Plus covers heart worms, round worms, and hook worms. Interceptor also protects agains whip worms, but Heartgard does not.
But whips ARE covered in the guarantee (to be competitive with Interceptor). As long as you can prove that you purchased the med from a vet and you have given them in a timely manner (ex. if you purchased 12 pills 14 months ago you are SOL; but if you purchased 12 pills 11 months ago, you are good to go).

·
3 goldens
11,711 Posts
For some reason my computer would not let my pull it up :( i have only ever used 3 heartworm preventsion--the old daily tables years and years ago, the monthly. However i did make the very fatal mistake of using proheart6 on my precious hunter (avatar) and it killed him along with only god knows how many others, before fda had them pull it. It is back now, supposed reformulated, but i would never trust it again.

I had used the frontline and frontline plus for years, but starting about 3 years ago, it only worked about 2 weeks. I tried theadvantix, same problem. Luckily since we have not had ticks in years and years, i can give honey comfortis..and i only give them toher if i find she has a fea or suspect fleas. Her lat one was in june.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
But whips ARE covered in the guarantee (to be competitive with Interceptor). As long as you can prove that you purchased the med from a vet and you have given them in a timely manner (ex. if you purchased 12 pills 14 months ago you are SOL; but if you purchased 12 pills 11 months ago, you are good to go).
Do you think it does cover whips, since it's not on the label?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts