Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
I use Bio-Groom Coat Polish....it smells really nice and doesn't leave an icky residue on their coats.

I also use Earth Bath products but I do find that they leave a bit of residue.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I use the Cowboy Magic non-spray and I love it. I just rub a little into my hands and then rub it through the fur and then continue brushing. It's amazing stuff.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Second the cowboy magic. I like the earthbath for deodorizing purposes but I don't like it very much for a conditioner. Cowboy magic or yesterday, I sprayed on some vetrolin shine spray to get some burrs out. Loved the smell and wow, he GLEAMED. This is the stuff: Farnam - Your partner in horse care

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I just used the spray on him since he found a burr bush on the barn property. Of course. Why did I expect anything less? They were little tiny ones and I couldn't brush them out like the big ones, so he got sprayed with the vetrolin. I checked the label first but it didn't say anything about not using on dogs so what the heck. Virgil is more of a princess than Ranger.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Just get a spray bottle and put 1 tsp of conditioner in it. Shake. It's really that simple.

I do use a dog conditioner (Crown Royale) but it literally takes SO little that a tiny sample bottle will last you forever. :) I have also used human conditioner if I ran out and couldn't find my doggie conditioner. It's all the same, it creates slip as Pointgold has said!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Where do you get the cowboy magic spray on and Vetrolin? Finn has some mats in his tail and he is SOOOOO sensitive that I don't think I will be able to get them out. I am going to make an appointment for the groomer, but I would like something at home incase they can't get them out either.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Just get a spray bottle and put 1 tsp of conditioner in it. Shake. It's really that simple.

I do use a dog conditioner (Crown Royale) but it literally takes SO little that a tiny sample bottle will last you forever. :) I have also used human conditioner if I ran out and couldn't find my doggie conditioner. It's all the same, it creates slip as Pointgold has said!
I just scanned and saw the "crown royale" and thought, "you put rye in your dog's coat?? What a waste of good booze!" Guess I have rye and coke on the mind...that does sound good.

Where do you get the cowboy magic spray on and Vetrolin? Finn has some mats in his tail and he is SOOOOO sensitive that I don't think I will be able to get them out. I am going to make an appointment for the groomer, but I would like something at home incase they can't get them out either.
I get mine at any equestrian tack shop nearby. If the matts are really bad, I'd recommend something like Showsheen which isn't a conditioner but rather a silicone based "slip" product. It won't condition the hair, but it coats the shaft of the hair and makes it slippery. ShowSheen® Hair Polish & Detangler – Grooming – Products – Absorbine

I used it on ranger a few times at the barn for burr incidents but I ran out of it and haven't bothered getting anymore. It does feel a little odd, so I wouldn't recommend spraying it all over the coat. And make sure you don't get any on a tile or hardwood floor!

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
Royal Crowne Magic Touch

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I just scanned and saw the "crown royale" and thought, "you put rye in your dog's coat?? What a waste of good booze!" Guess I have rye and coke on the mind...that does sound good.

I get mine at any equestrian tack shop nearby. If the matts are really bad, I'd recommend something like Showsheen which isn't a conditioner but rather a silicone based "slip" product. It won't condition the hair, but it coats the shaft of the hair and makes it slippery. ShowSheen® Hair Polish & Detangler – Grooming – Products – Absorbine

I used it on ranger a few times at the barn for burr incidents but I ran out of it and haven't bothered getting anymore. It does feel a little odd, so I wouldn't recommend spraying it all over the coat. And make sure you don't get any on a tile or hardwood floor!

Thanks. . . I'll look into it. I don't know how he got it matted all of a sudden : (

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger got some matts earlier in the year and I was so surprised. He gets brushed daily/bathed weekly in the summer and in the winter brushing is about 3-4 times a week. But I figured it out! I lost the rake brush and had been brushing him with only a pin brush for about 3 months and it wasn't getting to his thickest coated areas, like the base of the tail. That's where the mats were! I bought a rake, used it for 30 min and WOW the hair that came out was insane. It even pulled out most of the mats!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Aubrey Organics makes one that is heavenly- and of course totally natural with NO JUNK in it. They also make a shampoo and conditioner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts