Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 5 year old golden Sammy has been scratching at her mouth lately. We have looked and looked and saw nothing. The scratching has subsided some and last night she was snuggled into my husband and he noticed a round, red bump on her outer top lip. It's smaller than a dime, a little red and meaty, and you can feel some inflammation under the skin in her lip. It is very round though. We also have a 7 month old puppy - Finnegan. Sammy and Finn have puppy smack down on a regular basis and he is forever hanging off of her in some manner or another and she loves it! Sammy is eating, drinking, not drooling, lets me touch the spot and has not slowed down one iota in playing and wrestling with Finn. He was hanging off of her lip this morning.

I did call my vet, but I can't get into to see her until Wed. I really want to see my vet - she is that wonderful - and she is out until Wed. Do any of you think this could be the result of Finn just hanging off of her - maybe even put a tooth through her lip? Does cancer of the mouth present this way? We just lost our dear Gus back in April to a tumor in his heart. My heart still hurts from that and I am now so worried for my girl. I'm watching her and if it changes, I will bring her in before Wed.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Could you take a picture of it? It could be from them playing alittle rough but hard to say. Hope it will be ok.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I kind of looks like some of my old guys "lumps and bumps". They just pop up everywhere on him. His have checked out as benign adenomas (sp?). He will worry at some of them and get them irritated and others he ignores (he has at least 25).

Hmmm - on second (and third) look, it kind of looks like an insect bite maybe. that would explain the itching too.

I'd have her checked out, but wouldn't worry or stress too much about it.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It does look like a little puncture maybe from the puppy teeth. But I would keep an eye on it and take that appt next week. Hopefully it will clear up and you wont need that appt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts