Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhhhh,I am ready to cry.Honey split her nail again.Bad.She is limping.She done this several times and i am really frustrated.I have to take her to the vet again. Again pain meds and antibiotics.She had that last month.I am afraid it will destroy her stomach.
I don't know why she does this or how.I keep her nails short.She runs like crazy when we play ball.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dremel...

Do you use a Dremel? I got Henry used to it and he does fine. Maybe the clipper makes nails prone to splits? My sons whippet has had several bad splits, but their nails are usually way too long and those guys tear around like you wouldn't believe.

·
Premium Member
18,163 Posts
You might talk with Emma & Tilly (member here). Her dog had chronic nail problems and finally found a solution.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Hugs to Honey on her boo boo paw:p:, and one for you, too, Mom.

Guillotine clippers can crush the nail and predispose them to splitting....I use one without problem but Honey may have softer nails.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I was going to suggest you talk to Emma&Tilly too. Her Tilly has some kind of condition and the nails split and has to have them removed. Hopefully this will be the last time for Honey

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we went to vet.He can it short and said she does not need any meds .It's does 't look infected at all.Her nail is strong(his words).Does not need to be cut any shorter that it is.She has a pretty long quicks,and i am using a big toenail clippers.Works great .and i do this every other week.So he suggest to add pet vitamins to her diet and see if it's help.Need to stop running like a crazy horse it's for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts