Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Tess may have a split dew claw. She just came in from playing and her paw was a mess, blood all over. I managed to tape it off, but there is definitely something wrong with her dew claw. I am taking her to the vet in half an hour, but what can I expect? She is not a happy camper.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ouch! One of our springers several years ago had this happen, it wasn't split, but instead we think she tore it on an outside step. The worst part is she kept herself so clean I didn't even notice until probably several days after it happened. The dew claw had to be cut very short, but since there was quick/tissue exposed, it would have been a very painful procedure, so she had to have light anesthesia for it and was then on antibiotics to prevent infection. Her paw was bandaged for about a week after. It cost around $800. I sure hope yours is a simpler fix!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, she tore it good. So far she has been keeping it clean, so no infection. They gave her tramadol against the pain and told me to watch it. Hopefully it will just grow back, otherwise they need to cut it really short, under sedation. But it doesn't look bad now.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
When Fiona cracked hers up good but some trimming and liquid bandage along with some vet wrap did the trick. Took a few weeks for them to heal up.

Fiona did not mess hers up as bad as Tess it sounds like, hope your girl does well healing up :crossfing

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
inge that would have been my recommendation... to have them sedate her and either dremel it down to below the split OR clip it down to below the split...

good luck

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Ouch! The desert is harsh on dogs' feet in general so all of our goldens have had their dewclaws removed when they were only a few days old. Our breeder cries every time that the vet does it, but is is very easy to do at that age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts