Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm new to this site, some of you may have seen my post in the introduction forum. If you didn't see that thread, hello and thanks for providing such a great site.

I was searching the internet for information on splenectomies when I came across this forum, I didn't know such wonderful places existed, it is great to be here.

I wish I was joining under happier circumstances though. I'm really hoping someone can help put our minds at ease please.

We have two goldens, our first golden Barney, who is 11 and a half. Our second golden Pennymon, who is probably around the same age but she could be older (she was rescued)

At the weekend in the early hours of Sunday morning, Penny collapsed and couldn't move. We could see by the look on her face she wasn't happy, she looked worried and in a bit of pain. We called out our vet and he came out to check her over. At first, he suggested she may have pulled a muscle because she's old and suffers with a bit of arthritis. When he got her to her feet and checked her over he suggested that he thought her belly felt like it had fluid in it. He said he needed to take her into their hospital straight away. An hour or two later he phoned us back to tell us that the scans had shown that Penny was bleeding internally. There were no outward signs of illness only collapse. She'd been playing earlier in the day and barking not that long before this happened.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, they gave us some options. We could put her to sleep or they could run further tests and scans and possibly operate to take a look and see what had happened. If it turned out an operation wasn't going to help, she wouldn't be brought around.

We asked our vet to do what was best for Penny, if she was full of cancer and it was a hopeless case that would put her through too much pain etc, he was to let us know.

A few hours later we received a call to say that penny had been operated on and her spleen had been removed. They didn't see any obvious signs of cancer but they've taken samples to be tested by labs, those results are not back yet, so we don't know if she has cancer or not.

Oh boy, she is so unhappy, as you would expect I guess. She kept my Husband up all night with her crying. She's cried quite a bit today too, she's currently laying next to me complaining now and again. Poor girl, I feel so helpless that I cannot help her more. She has painkilling medicine in the morning, I think it wears off quickly though. She's also on antibiotics in case of infection.

We are well aware that she could have cancer, because it seems that retrievers are prone to cancer of the spleen, we are also well aware that she may not make it though. Every minute seems like an hour, I find myself watching her every move, we won't leave her on her own for one minute night or day.

She is eating and drinking, which is a really good sign, but she is obviously in pain. She is back at the vets tomorrow night for a checkup. I will take her sooner if anything changes for the worst.

Does anyone know which is the most dangerous time after the operation. I guess what I'm trying to say is, at what point could she be considered to be out of danger from death due to the operation, clots etc. Our vet said the operation went well, she did loose half a litre of blood though, but he was pleased with the outcome. He did point out that there were a few clots of blood around the area, they got some out but couldn't get them all and they are worried that some may move and cause problems. That has made me worry even more, I guess this can happen though. Is it normal for her to be crying a lot? I guess she will be in a lot of pain.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...7XiXM&ved=0CCQQvwUoAQ&q=circumstances&spell=1

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
There is a condition they can get after an operation like this called DIC. It basically means the whole body is hemorrhaging. If she was mine, I would get her back to the vet.This does not mean she has cancer, it's a complication because the spleen is such a vascular organ. Had this same thing happen to a 12 year old, she spent a week in the hospital, but the tumor was NOT cancer and she lived to be 15. Good luck to you, we are sending prayers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for replying.

I've never heard of that condition, sounds very serious though. Penny has finally fallen asleep now, which is great. I'll give the vets a call. She last had something to eat around 45 minutes ago, she followed me into the kitchen (the day she stops eating I'd say she was leaving us, she is ruled by her belly)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm sorry you are experiencing this. We did two years ago this January with our Barkley. The most dangerous time is really the first 10 days, because the stitches need to heal and anything that can cause a bleed out (chewing on incisions) can be fatal. I'd definitely call the vet and take her back in--she shouldn't be in pain now if she is on painkillers. Something else is going on (like Claire's Friend mentioned) or she needs her pain medication levels increased.

Is she eating OK? She should be on soft/easy digested foods for a while. It could be she is constipated or it's taking her digestive system a while to get back to normal after the anesthesia. It can do some strange things to animals.

Did your vet prescribe some sort of B vitamin supplement? she will need help rebuilding her hematocrit level, especially since that surgery involves a lot of blood loss due to the organ's vascular nature.

Keep us posted, and please feel free to PM (once you have 15 posts) or VM me if I can help you with questions about the recovery, the diagnosis once the pathology is back or anything else.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
Welcome to the forum although it was under these circumstances.

Your story sounds identical to mine regarding my Reno. Although he didn't collapse, you could see the worry in his face and that immediately signalled to me that something with him was not quite right. He is always so perky and smiley!!! We took him to the vet immediately and he made the same observation respecting his abdomen. He drew some fluid (no blood which was good) and took x-rays. He sensed something was amiss so had us come back the next day for an ultrasound. It showed a mass on Reno's spleen.

They ran all the necessary tests on him and said he was a good candidate for surgery. He underwent surgery (and also lost quite a bit of blood but no transfusion was necessary). They removed his spleen which had a softball size mass on it. He came through surgery well and was permitted to come home 2 days later (they wanted to observe him before releasing him). That was a Wednesday...on Friday the tests came back with the diagnosis of hemangiosarcoma. I was crushed!!! The vet gave us our options......with no treatment, Reno would be with us for 1-2 months and with treatment, 4-6 months. We opted for no treatment.

On January 13, it was 7 months since Reno's surgery and he is still going strong!!! The only medication he takes is Metacam.

Crossing my finger's that Penny's diagnosis is not cancer. Sending prayers and hugs to Penny!!!!!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Don't have any wisdom to offer, but wanted to let you know that you're both in our thoughts and prayers. That she recovers without complications and that she is one of the lucky few that doesn't have cancer and that she continues to improve and enjoy life.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I've just phoned the vets and the vet is going to give me a call back when he's finished his evening surgery.

She looks uncomftable and sounds uncomftable. She's whining a lot, so she is experiencing some level of pain. She currently whining now. She's had her daily painkillers this morning. No, she doesn't have any supplements, she has her painkillers and antibiotics and that's it. Antibiotics twice a day, painkiller medicine in the morning.

She's eating just fine, little and often, I offer her a few spoons full of the canned food every couple of hours. It's special canned food from the vets and she's had the odd soft buscuit as well.

They are such a worry, sorry to hear you had the same thing with your dog as well. Hope you had a good outcome.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...OvzcgcoF&ved=0CCYQvgUoAA&q=uncomftable&nfpr=1

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum although it was under these circumstances.

Your story sounds identical to mine regarding my Reno. Although he didn't collapse, you could see the worry in his face and that immediately signalled to me that something with him was not quite right. He is always so perky and smiley!!! We took him to the vet immediately and he made the same observation respecting his abdomen. He drew some fluid (no blood which was good) and took x-rays. He sensed something was amiss so had us come back the next day for an ultrasound. It showed a mass on Reno's spleen.

They ran all the necessary tests on him and said he was a good candidate for surgery. He underwent surgery (and also lost quite a bit of blood but no transfusion was necessary). They removed his spleen which had a softball size mass on it. He came through surgery well and was permitted to come home 2 days later (they wanted to observe him before releasing him). That was a Wednesday...on Friday the tests came back with the diagnosis of hemangiosarcoma. I was crushed!!! The vet gave us our options......with no treatment, Reno would be with us for 1-2 months and with treatment, 4-6 months. We opted for no treatment.

On January 13, it was 7 months since Reno's surgery and he is still going strong!!! The only medication he takes is Metacam.

Crossing my finger's that Penny's diagnosis is not cancer. Sending prayers and hugs to Penny!!!!!

Thanks, fingers crossed firmly for Reno, please give him a hug from me. Penny is on Metacam.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,722 Posts
OP the start of your story sound just like the way my poor Lucky went unfortunately when the opened him up the found a tumor on his liver so he had metastasis. I chose to not have him woken up.

I pray your pup's test come back negative.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
I'm so sorry that you and Penny have to go through this. As other people have said she shouldn't have to be in pain so either there is something wrong or the dose of pain medicine isn't enough for her. I hope that your vet can get everything sorted out and make Penny feel better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP the start of your story sound just like the way my poor Lucky went unfortunately when the opened him up the found a tumor on his liver so he had metastasis. I chose to not have him woken up.

I pray your pup's test come back negative.
Thanks very much.

I'm so sorry to hear about your poor Lucky, life is so cruel. We'd told the vets not to have Penny woken up if that is what they had found. We were very suprised when we got the call to say she'd come out the other side of the operation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've spoken to our vet again and he's told me what to watch out for. She isn't showing any signs of pale gums, bleeding at the wound or excessive brusing. Her stitches are a little red but there's no weeping, well I tiny, tiny little bit but it is clear liquid.

She's just had a walk around the garden, done a wee and had some more food and had a drink as well. She wagged her tail and got up to see my Husband enthusiastically, she's responsive etc. She's had a few operations in her life, she was spayed and it went wrong and she started to bleed internally so was re-operated on (different vets to our current vets) She's also had two operations on one of her eyes, she's a tough dog! I see discomfort in her eyes but no major pain. Our vet has advised us what to do if we become any further worried tonight, we can call them out. We will call them out if she gets any worse. She's just settled back down again, they are such a worry!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks for your kind words :)

Penny has improved over the last couple of hours, it is strange how they can alter so fast. I've got my fingers crossed that she has a good night, so my Husband and her, can get some sleep tonight. Our goldies usually sleep upstairs with us, but we are not letting Pen go upstairs until she's better, so one of us gets the job of sleeping downstairs with her.

She's just got up and gone into the kitchen to have a treat and she's gone back to lay on her bed now. She seems much brighter now, although she whines a little bit after she's had a walk about. She's currently whining softly again, but only very quietly.

I've just been laying with her whilst Barney went for his last walk of the day, she's been laying there wagging her tail at me.

It's funny how she's so tough and Barney our other golden is a big baby. He's had a couple of operations in his time and boy, was he hard work.

I'll have to go and read about Copper and his Mum. Seems there's so many goldies that have to have this operation.

We're wondering if we might get the lab results on the sample tissue tomorrow when we take Pen back to the vets for a checkup. I'm nervous but I feel I need to know the results. Mind you, if they come back clear I'll still wonder if the results would have been different from a sample taken from a different area. I guess I'm a bit nervous because my Husband had cancer a couple of years ago now, I was worried I'd loose him and I still worry now. I'm must be a right worry head.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed for Penny.
I had a similar experience with my first golden and it was not a happy ending. I hope for a happy ending for your fur baby! Sending positive thoughts your way!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Many thanks for your kind words :)

Penny has improved over the last couple of hours, it is strange how they can alter so fast. I've got my fingers crossed that she has a good night, so my Husband and her, can get some sleep tonight. Our goldies usually sleep upstairs with us, but we are not letting Pen go upstairs until she's better, so one of us gets the job of sleeping downstairs with her.

She's just got up and gone into the kitchen to have a treat and she's gone back to lay on her bed now. She seems much brighter now, although she whines a little bit after she's had a walk about. She's currently whining softly again, but only very quietly.

I've just been laying with her whilst Barney went for his last walk of the day, she's been laying there wagging her tail at me.

It's funny how she's so tough and Barney our other golden is a big baby. He's had a couple of operations in his time and boy, was he hard work.

I'll have to go and read about Copper and his Mum. Seems there's so many goldies that have to have this operation.

We're wondering if we might get the lab results on the sample tissue tomorrow when we take Pen back to the vets for a checkup. I'm nervous but I feel I need to know the results. Mind you, if they come back clear I'll still wonder if the results would have been different from a sample taken from a different area. I guess I'm a bit nervous because my Husband had cancer a couple of years ago now, I was worried I'd loose him and I still worry now. I'm must be a right worry head.
I really hope you get good news when the pathology comes back. We've actually had 2 dogs with splenectomies, Barkley, mentioned earlier and Beau, who didn't make it off the table because the cancer was visible everywhere when they opened him it up. I think the percentages of cancer vs. benign for Goldens is around 60/40, though our surgeon said his experience is more 70/30 with Goldens. It took us about 6 days to get the results since his surgery was on a Friday. It was a frightening time trying to decide what to do, based on what the pathology report told us regarding prognosis. I posted some questions I asked the vet to help us decide--I hope you don't need to consult this, but just in case it's in this thread: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/cancer-information-golden-retrievers/99067-cancer-diagnosis-what-should-you-ask-vet.html

We will continue to pray for your family and your girl.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. It's so sad to hear that so many of our beloved fur babies have passed in this way and I'm thinking of all of you as I write this. Although, I do believe we will meet our babies again when we pass over.

To be honest with you, I'm not actually thinking about the results that much at this point now, trying to get Penny though the next few days. I think some of her problem is anxiety regards what she's been through with the operation and also her past.

Last time I wrote on this thread last night, she'd settled back down again and was quiet by the time I'd finished writing. She stayed that way until I went upstairs and left my Hubby and her downstairs. She wasn't worried I'd left her she was just craving constant attention (we think, that and mixed with some pain) She started to whine and cry again. As soon as my Husband stroked her she would get quieter and then stop crying again. When he thought she was asleep he would stop stroking and she would instantly start crying and raising her paw at him. He'd start stroking her again she would go quiet. Although he did notice that if she laid on her right hand side she can get some sleep. Goodness me, they are like babies lol. Penny was a nasty cruelty case before we rehomed her, so we can understand her concern. Barn isn't worried about being left at the vets at all, he loves going to the vets. Penny however, actually thought we were dumping her like she'd been dumped before we took her in. She's brighter this morning, she's just got up to follow Barney out for his walk, she's not going though.

She's at the vets tonight for her three day checkup. Thanks for all your help :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sending you hugs and prayers. And an extra big soft cuddle for Penny

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Penny has just been for her vet check, they were really happy with her progress. She went into the surgery and started barking for her treats, as she usually does, so that's a massive improvement on earlier. She checked out well, she's booked in for her stitches to be removed next Wednesday evening. We should get the results back from the tissue tests in a week or so. She's still got the painkiller and antibiotics. Has anyone noticed that goldens are huge dustbins when it comes to their food? Same they weren't as keen to eat tablets lol.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts