Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Fishers are nasty creatures. They used to actually come up into the barn, where the cows and the dogs were, and kill my barn cats. I just hated them, and they did not seem afraid of anything. The DNR reintroduced them into Wisconsin a while ago.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had never heard of them before Tucker's dad's thread about his new wagon. I think it was in that thread. Scarey creatures!

·
Ragtag Rescue
124 Posts
I've lost three cats to fishers. Microsoft Cat, Linux, and Mouse all taken at night. Nasdaq, my 21# black cat, was attacked but managed to get away. He was terribly wounded, but managed to give as much as he took. Two weeks later I shot the fisher and found his entire belly was badly infected from the gouges Nasdaq's claws had created. Nazzy was one very lucky feline.

That said, I have never lost any of my chickens, lambs, or angora rabbits to a fisher. They simply seem to ignore everything but cats...and the barking of my pack of three seems to frighten them off.

·
Kate
20,700 Posts
Those things are seriously creepy. They tear the faces off of porcupines?!! I'd hate to be walking in the woods and see one of those things up in the tree above me. o_O

Here in Michigan... it seems that foxes and coyotes are more of a problem... I hear foxes shrieking when we walk at night and I know at least at my work we've seen a coyote out and around during the day.

My cat is territorial, so I'm afraid he would take on anything that came on his property. He has chased and been sprayed by skunks. And I've found groundhogs that he's treed. He probably would take on a fisher (I'm going off to kiss my cat's precious face).

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad Penny is a little shy. I think if she barked at ANYTHING and it stood it's ground, she'd retreat to get us to help. She considers herself to be the warning signal and we're the reinforcements.

I've seen her bark at kids on the sidewalk, then look back at the house like "Well, aren't you coming? They're here! The barbarians! At the gate!!"

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
These are in MICHIGAN!? The picture I saw... looked cute, but I know they are dangerous. That is really scary.

Yet another reason I never let the dogs outside alone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts