Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contacted by someone with a very nice girl to breed to Pilot. She would like me to get a sperm count. I think since he's never been bred, that's understandable. Even if she goes elsewhere others are going to ask. I contacted a local vet and the referred me to 2 different vets. One in Cleveland, OH and one in PeeWee Valley, Ky. Closest one is 2 1/2 hours away from me. Does anyone know of a vet in Columbus or Cincinnati that does counts? I plan to call around for pricing as well, because let's face it....I'm not made of money! Want to see if there's any closer options first.

·
Kate
23,939 Posts
I have been contacted by someone with a very nice girl to breed to Pilot. She would like me to get a sperm count. I think since he's never been bred, that's understandable. Even if she goes elsewhere others are going to ask. I contacted a local vet and the referred me to 2 different vets. One in Cleveland, OH and one in PeeWee Valley, Ky. Closest one is 2 1/2 hours away from me. Does anyone know of a vet in Columbus or Cincinnati that does counts? I plan to call around for pricing as well, because let's face it....I'm not made of money! Want to see if there's any closer options first.
Expect about $100-150.

Check with your breeder for which repro vet she has used.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Expect about $100-150.

Check with your breeder for which repro vet she has used.
That's not too hateful. I asked her first. The place she recommended doesn't do counts.

·
Lead Super Mod + Administrator
2,594 Posts
Everyone in Columbus goes to either Ohio State or Annehurst to see Dr. Mark Harris. Mark is who the Sunnyside ladies use and they do stud services pretty often.

If you want a good count, you'll need to have him collected at least once about a week before (or less) that and have it thrown out. Dr. Marty Greer calls it "geriatric sperm" when they haven't been collected in a long time (or ever).

Reactions: njdglvr

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Everyone in Columbus goes to either Ohio State or Annehurst to see Dr. Mark Harris. Mark is who the Sunnyside ladies use and they do stud services pretty often.

If you want a good count, you'll need to have him collected at least once about a week before (or less) that and have it thrown out. Dr. Marty Greer calls it "geriatric sperm" when they haven't been collected in a long time (or ever).
you can do that yourself in the bathtub- it's done just as you might imagine it is- if you don't want to pay for a tossed collection.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If there is a big show coming up nearby, they may have a sperm collection and storage company on site, like the ICSB.

Not likely to be a factor this time of year, but don't let him do a lot of swimming in cold water for a couple of weeks before you collect. It will cause sperm with bent tails that won't swim straight.

Reactions: Alaska7133

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If there is a big show coming up nearby, they may have a sperm collection and storage company on site, like the ICSB.

Not likely to be a factor this time of year, but don't let him do a lot of swimming in cold water for a couple of weeks before you collect. It will cause sperm with bent tails that won't swim straight.
Where can I find the clinics? I did search through a few premiums and didn’t see anything.

·
Kate
23,939 Posts
Every place I called was at least twice that. OSU was almost $400!
Not surprised about OSU....

Hutch.... I was kinda expecting him to be up there too.

I sent a quick note to the vet I used last. Believe it's too far for you (Lansing area), but I'm curious if prices have jumped in the past couple years.

Oh! - Monroe next week! They are charging $150. You have to schedule with the vet doing it prior to showing up.

Font Number Document Event Circle

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I sent a quick note to the vet I used last. Believe it's too far for you (Lansing area), but I'm curious if prices have jumped in the past couple years.
Hutch was one I called. If driving to Lansing saves me $100 or more it could be worth it. I love any excuse to go up there! I’m originally from the Lansing area. I have a tiny little car so the mileage is amazing! I would like to hear what they say.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nothing to add, just saw the thread title and thought there was a contest.
Sorry....unless anyone wants to try counting! :D Probably best left to the professionals!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Oh! - Monroe next week! They are charging $150. You have to schedule with the vet doing it prior to showing up.

View attachment 893757
Ooh...perfect! I'm going to call them right now!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nevermind.....I'm working the NOC....

·
Kate
23,939 Posts
Nevermind.....I'm working the NOC....
Boo woulda been perfect.

Schultz in Owosso charges 155.

Heritage in Dundee is 180.

Note there are addons (visit fee for Heritage and visit fee + brucellosis test at Schultz) so Heritage is more like $250 and Schultz is close to $300. So basically, you probably are better off staying closer to home since the prices you were quoted likely include the same addons?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Boo woulda been perfect.

Schultz in Owosso charges 155.

Heritage in Dundee is 180.

Note there are addons (visit fee for Heritage and visit fee + brucellosis test at Schultz) so Heritage is more like $250 and Schultz is close to $300. So basically, you probably are better off staying closer to home since the prices you were quoted likely include the same addons?
Yes. It would have been! It's fun watching the top level dogs though!

Thank you for checking for me! I'm going to call Hutchinson back and see if they are including the addons in that price. Thing is, Dundee is the about the same distance. Owosso is a little further. I live near Dayton so it's straight north or going north east. .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts