Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

My fiance and I have spent several months doing our research for a Golden retriever puppy. We are targeting late summer (just after our wedding). Some parameters / preferences of our search:
  1. Healthy dog with longevity (we have done our research on OFA testing, COI, genetic clearances, etc.)
  2. Temperament - we are outdoors people and I work from home but we do live in an apartment, so would prefer a calm, mellow dog.
  3. Superficially speaking, we really like the lighter color (cream) English Goldens (but have been careful to fall into the trap of "English Cream" breeders).
  4. All else equal, we are happiest with a smaller dog (but not a big factor)
Based on this search, we've prioritized looking at GRCA approved breeders (with a few select others) and narrowed it down to:

River Valley Goldens - Storm x Hannah or Grace (Not on any reputable breeder lists but they seem great. Would love more info here since this is our leaning right now.)
Southland Goldens - likely Tommy x Dana or Zelda litter (puppies are $4k - they claim to have very nice facilities and care, but not sure if that justifies the price).
Golden Savannah - Taz (owned by Fox Ridge) x Nika (both are very beautiful but not sure if this is as medically clean a litter as the rest. Taz has a COI of about 8%. Not sure about this breeder in general.)
Acadia Goldens - would wait for Jackson litter
Darrowby - can't reach them (not sure if still breeding - they just came up on multiple sites as a principled breeder).
Ark Goldens - one of Beaux's late summer litters

Would love any information or analysis of any of the litters I mentioned (or others that fit the bill we're looking for). It's VERY hard deciding a breeder and during quarantine I may have over-researched.

Thanks so much for your time and stay safe!

All the best,
Griffin

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
On River Valley- Storm: https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1956316 has no current eyes ,heart by cardiologist, his PH numbers are not great, probably somewhere around a Fair w OFA and he was only a year old when they did them so who knows, really.. plus he has no elbow clearance. I would be afraid of the risk in every area - cardiac, ortho and visual. Since there is absolutely nothing to go on behind him, there is no comfort there either. Grace: https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2037922 At least she has a cardiac clearance... her eyes are 2 years out of date and she has no hips/elbows (and btw- PH can be listed on OFA). The claimed PH on k9data was done at a year old as well. I don't see Hannah on their site, but did find her on k9data -http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=966611 Her eyes are out of date, her heart clearance is inadequate as it is a practitioner clearance (which is fine for a Shihtzu but not ok for a Golden) and she has no elbow clearance. I can't tell whether she was over 24 mo for her PH because they apparently purchased her as an adult. I can see why you aren't finding them on any reputable breeder lists. I do not see a single dog there with a full set of the minimum clearances.

Southland- Jack's heart clearance is inadequate and his eyes are out of date. Nothing on Nina is verifiable.
Tommy's eyes are out of date and he has no hip/elbow clearances. He has at least two offspring who did not pass elbows. Zelda has only an inadequate heart clearance https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=2021867

I have to go finish chores, so can't do the rest of them but I hope you realize that coats of every color are in most litters, and the eastern Euro dogs....well, if you were a breeder, would you sell your best to the US or your worst? I have yet to see good structure on these type websites, it is unfortunate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the thorough response. Your hunch may be correct, but given that I am only looking for a pet, I’m sure we can find a cream colored healthy golden retriever. Just have to be diligent. If you have any other suggestions, I’m all ears. Thanks again!

·
Robin
318 Posts
Hi -

My fiance and I have spent several months doing our research for a Golden retriever puppy. We are targeting late summer (just after our wedding). Some parameters / preferences of our search:
  1. Healthy dog with longevity (we have done our research on OFA testing, COI, genetic clearances, etc.)
  2. Temperament - we are outdoors people and I work from home but we do live in an apartment, so would prefer a calm, mellow dog.
  3. Superficially speaking, we really like the lighter color (cream) English Goldens (but have been careful to fall into the trap of "English Cream" breeders).
  4. All else equal, we are happiest with a smaller dog (but not a big factor)
Based on this search, we've prioritized looking at GRCA approved breeders (with a few select others) and narrowed it down to:

River Valley Goldens - Storm x Hannah or Grace (Not on any reputable breeder lists but they seem great. Would love more info here since this is our leaning right now.)
Southland Goldens - likely Tommy x Dana or Zelda litter (puppies are $4k - they claim to have very nice facilities and care, but not sure if that justifies the price).
Golden Savannah - Taz (owned by Fox Ridge) x Nika (both are very beautiful but not sure if this is as medically clean a litter as the rest. Taz has a COI of about 8%. Not sure about this breeder in general.)
Acadia Goldens - would wait for Jackson litter
Darrowby - can't reach them (not sure if still breeding - they just came up on multiple sites as a principled breeder).
Ark Goldens - one of Beaux's late summer litters

Would love any information or analysis of any of the litters I mentioned (or others that fit the bill we're looking for). It's VERY hard deciding a breeder and during quarantine I may have over-researched.

Thanks so much for your time and stay safe!

All the best,
Griffin
Acadia Goldens looks good, and Jackson has all the correct clearances. I agree with Prism’s analysis of the first two breeders. Another reputable breeder to try since they’re in your general area is Kernow Goldens. I’m not sure how far you’re willing to travel, but she’s in Vermont. Home | kernowgoldens

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
There was a recent thread on reputable breeders of "Creams" you may want to search this forum for. If I remember correctly there are several New England breeders listed there, if that is close enough for you. Off the top of my head, Beau Geste, My Way, and Eastshore were on the list. I don't know if they have litters planned, and I know there were other names on the list in that thread, but it's worth reaching out to see what their plans are or if they can recommend any other breeders within a reasonable distance from NY.

Found the thread for you (it wasn't easy!): Ethical "English Creme" breeders

·
Super Moderator
1,081 Posts
@griff4692 I can vouch for Arkgold! @Arkgold Although Arkansas is really long way from New York. All of her dogs have their clearances according to the GRCA Code of Ethics. Marissa has the full spectrum of colors and does not breed specifically for color. She is a wonderful, down to earth person and will help you find the right puppy for you. I am lucky to be able to call her my friend. 💜 Both of my dogs were bred by her, so please PM if you have any specific questions!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
Thanks very much for the thorough response. Your hunch may be correct, but given that I am only looking for a pet, I’m sure we can find a cream colored healthy golden retriever. Just have to be diligent. If you have any other suggestions, I’m all ears. Thanks again!
Health issues do not discriminate between show or pet/family dogs. You want the right health clearances period. You don't want very bills reading from 2k to 7k for elbow dysplasia or hip replacements.

Plus 9 out of 10 puppies are sold as pet/ family dogs. That's where they come from. Most breeders only keep 1 pup from a litter and that is even if they are looking for a puppy and that time. They don't keep a pup from every litter they produce. Think of it like this. 3 litters a year (a lot for some breeders) is 3 dogs a year and the average life span of 10-12 years that would mean they have as many as 30 dogs on site. Only major kennels have as many or more. Most reputable breeders might have 8 to 10 dogs at one time.

So don't fall in to the tap of... Oh it's just a pet so the clearances aren't as important.

And finding a reputable breeder that prioritizes color is really rare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@griff4692 I can vouch for Arkgold! @Arkgold Although Arkansas is really long way from New York. All of her dogs have their clearances according to the GRCA Code of Ethics. Marissa has the full spectrum of colors and does not breed specifically for color. She is a wonderful, down to earth person and will help you find the right puppy for you. I am lucky to be able to call her my friend. 💜 Both of my dogs were bred by her, so please PM if you have any specific questions!
Megan, I completely agree. Marissa is a super person and her dogs are wonderful. The Grca breeders Ed was working on a video At the Maryland national. Jon was using one of Marissa’s European type Golden’s for that video.
All of her clearances are in order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts