Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My older son has headed off to the 2012 Maine Special Olympics. Although he is a great skater, his sport there is snowshoeing. I totally miss him, and imagine I hear him up in the guest room on X box. I kept looking for him during his brother's hockey game. He talks continually during the game and I felt his presence.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
It's hard when special ones are not there with you. Try to concentrate on how much fun he is having. He is blessed to have you for his mom. I teach Special Ed and you would be surprised how many parents wouldn't take the time to have their kids do sports or Special Olympics.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Where is special Olympics located this year? You will have to keep us updated on how he does!

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I love the Special Olympics and wish they would televise more of it. Great thing for some very special kids. Congratulations to your son for attending/participating, bet he is a special, special guy.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,647 Posts
Congratulations, so exciting and such an honor! I know you're very proud of him.

When I was in College, the University I attended held a Special Olympics event. I volunteered to help. I was paired up with an Olympian as a "Buddy", making sure he got to his event(s) and hung out with him in between. It was an amazing experience for me-one I'll never forget. The Olympians were so excited, happy, and proud to be participating. I can't say enough how awesome it was.

Best of luck to your son, looking forward to updates on how he did and his experience.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
How has your son done?

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Ahh, congrats to your son!! My brother does the Special Olympics each year too! He absolutely loves it.

A few years ago I helped coach the soccer team (he thought it was pretty cool that his sis was a coach ;) ) and it was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
How is the kiddo making out? Having a blast? My brother used to LOVE Special Olympics at least the summer events-he is not a winter-lover. The events were fun, but the parties were a BLAST! ;-)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes they all come home with medals, as he did. It is held at the Sugaloaf Ski Resort. Two families in town kindly donated their condos for the weekend. All of the teachers and aides that go are terrific.... Other local towns are not so helpful with their Special Olympians.

Reactions: Dallas Gold
1 - 13 of 13 Posts