Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Don
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lived 4 happy years with an intact female with no problems what so ever,we had planned to spay at 5, vets advise.We are getting a puppy(hopefully)!
Still don't know what gender,if it's a male we're planning to keep him intact,if its a female?
Don't know whether or not we well spay,so here I am looking for advise and personal experience from all of you.
I wont to know did you spay, if so at what age and why?
or did you not?
We have talked to the breeder and she said spay after the 1st heat,BUT to think through leaving her till 8 years old. We have not talked to the vet yet but will soon.
Please share all your thoughts and thank you so much!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
Perhaps get a few VET's opinions before deciding. I am faced with a similar decision and will spay mine a bit after her first heat. Beyond 2 yrs, I would be frightened of Pyrometra, but that is strictly my own feeling after my own research.
Mine is 9 months old and has not had her 1st heat yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
There is no reason to leave a bitch intact til 8YO-
Let her have a first season and then spay her. You are gathering all the benefits of the ovaries and then removing them before they wreak havoc with the systems they increase risk for.
If you still have the 5YO bitch (not clear from post) and she is still intact and you get a male, she needs to be spayed asap.
IF you have a good breeder, your contract with her is going to require you let her have a season then spay her. Don't sign your name to a legal document if you plan to ignore it.
 

·
Don
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We no longer have our female,Lily died last year when she was hit by a car.
Our contract will require us to wait for the first heat.But the breeder said she would be willing to change it if we felt, after all the research, that the best thing would be to leave her intact.The contract would than be changed to no breeding and if there is an accidental pregnancy to spay eminently.
At this point if we get a female we will be spaying her after the first heat.
My secound queastion is partial spay or full spay,is there a significant health difference between the two and whitch ones batter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
A partial spay would be the Ovary Sparing Spay (OSS).. the major issue with that would be stump pyometria possibility and the likelihood that that "small" a pyo would be missed if bitch became ill.
There's no way to avoid leaving a uterine stump- skill of surgeon is paramount.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,477 Posts
This may not be exactly what you are looking for but thought I'd share. We are not breeders. We don't have a kennel or anything. Our dogs all live in the house. We are, I'm stealing a phrase that I think Prism Goldens used to describe me some months back, 'Golden Retriever Enthusiasts'. The breeding we have done has been under the watchful eyes of three good established Golden breeders.

Our boy, Mr. B (titled and still 'used') is intact. Our girl Sandy was just in heat and bred to our boys brother. So, we had an intact boy in the house and a female in heat. This is what I wanted to share - it was a challenge! Poor Mr. B was going bonkers. He was bouncing off the walls. It got so bad we had to have Sandy go spend a week+ at Sandy's sisters house. Having two intact dogs of opposite sex is pretty hard on everybody. At least that's my experience.
 

·
Don
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So right now I'm super confused, as we were told by a friend that partial spay would make the risk of pyometria non existence.Is full spay our best bet?
Just to add my sister has 2 intact females, one going on 9 the other 6.5, neither have any health issues. She take the older one to the vet every 6 months and the younger on every year.
She even added a intact male to her pack last year.She says that nature made them one way and its not for her to ''fix it''. And that accidental pregnancy is bad ownership and shows lack of responsibility
She most differently is my sassy older sister and not everyone, me included, can live up to that responsibility.
At this point I just hope we get a male.
 

·
Puddles
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
My breeder has it in her contract to wait until after 24 months which is coming up this summer and that is just fine for me. Honestly I'm in no hurry, no little boys around here but plan is to wait until after 3. Maybe a stupid reason but I've had 2 females done at age 2 and both had horrible spay coats. The girl that was closer to 3 did not so.... not sure if spay coat is part of the genetics or age but not going to tempt fate and will be waiting another year. LOL she has such a wonderful and soft coat!!! I will do a complete spay when we do the surgery.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top