Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Spaying my 1.7 year old retriever

338 4
Any tips on how i should care for my girl? She will be getting spayed in an hour and i am a tad concerned about the post op care since she is quite bubbly and just can't stay quite
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Hopefully your vet can give you some advice when you pick her up. Keeping her quiet is important for quicker healing. I've heard that some vets will send home trazadone to help keep the dog slightly sedated for a few days but I don't have any personal experience with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The surgery finished about 1.5 hours back. She's still groggy from the anaesthesia and is continuously moaning and is very restless. I checked if she was in pain and the doctor tells me that its not the pain because of which she is moaning but the effects of anaesthesia wearing off. The doctor's recommended that we give her some little water 3-4 hours after the surgery. She might throw up so we should feed her very small quantities of food. We need to rush her back to the hospital if she continuously keeps throwing up

Attachments

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
I hope they sent you home with painkillers for the next few days. The vet is right about the whining and uneasiness right now - it likely is her coming out of the anesthesia. But once all the numbing and anesthesia wear off, that wound and her insides are going to hurt for a few days and she will need pain management.

When she starts to feel better, that's when you have to be really careful about keeping her quiet. The stitches can tear and her insides are not at all healed yet. My vet says two weeks of quiet, and if my memory is correct, it was only outdoors on leash for bathroom breaks for the first four days or so. Then a slow 5 minute walk for a couple of days, 10 minutes for a few days, then 20 minutes by the end of the two week period. All on leash. No running, no playing, no jumping up onto the bed (I pulled the mattress down to the floor) and I put a cushion in front of the couch so she could step up onto it. It's two weeks that feels like an eternity, because they so start to feel better, but for their own health and healing, you really do need to keep them quiet. My girl was practically swinging from the chandeliers from the end because she had so much pent up energy, but it was more important for her to heal well. I bought her lots of yummy, messy bones and set her up on towels to give her something to do.

Oh, mine was also a wound licker, so she had to wear the cone the whole time. And she was fine with it. So definitely keep the cone on until the stitches are out if your dog is one to lick at it. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts