Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I am a new mom to a 5 month old golden Montana. She is 41 pounds, happy and energetic. I am debating when to get her spayed. I've read all over 6 months is a good time because I do not want her to go into her first heat cycle.

When is the right time to spay a dog? When is the first heat cycle?

Thanks!
Marissa

·
Registered
267 Posts
You will find the answers vary on the comments you are going to get.

Most wait until after 12months old.

Some say 6 months, some say after. I prefer my dogs to have their heat cycle before getting spayed. Mine will be spayed at 18 months old. This was per a discussion with my vet, and a great time that we both decided on together.

I would also talk with your vet and see what they say.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi there,
Yes-everyone will have their own thoughts...this is our 2nd pooch as a family and we plan to spay her at 6mos, too. Good luck to you and her-hopefully, it'll be done and over and she'll be right as rain. Our girl is going in Aug xo

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Do what is right for you. I didn't want to go through a cycle with Stormy, but wanted to wait as long as possible. I got her done at 10 months.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
DO:
- Communicate with your veterinarian if you want to wait longer than the traditional 6 months.
- Realize this is an invasive abdominal surgery and treat the recovery as such
- Keep the cone on!!!
- Be sure your veterinarian sends home pain medication

DON'T
- Ignore your instructions from your veterinarian and let your dog run about
- Leave your dog intact if you have no intention of breeding her. Please spay your dog at some point! Pyometra is a real and deadly concern.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Chloe turns six months on the 25th. She will be spayed probably the first week of July. Do research and do what's best for you. Typically a golden won't come into heat until seven or eight months or even later. But they can come into heat anytime really after six months. Are you up to keeping her on a leash at all times for about three weeks while in heat. And also what about the mess.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Talk to your breeder- while all dogs do not read the instruction book, there do tend to be trends within lines/families. My dog's littermates went into heat for the first time at around 2 years old!

·
Registered
176 Posts
We intended to get Lucy spayed about 7 months had the appointment and bam she went into heat 1 weeks before her appointment. We were shocked was told most Golden's are closer to a year. This may be true but they say after 6 months they can go into heat and some do. Now it was not bad she barely bleed but watching her like a hawk when she was outside for 3 weeks was long and tough on all of us. She is now scheduled for July 9. We did debate whether to let her go into heat once and I guess nature answered that questions

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gracie is two weeks into her 1st heat cycle (which probably explains my moodiness:p:), but I assume Mom Fisher's "watching her like a hawk" statement was referring to other males! If true, I pity the male that gets to close to my baby. No, I am worried almost hourly about any future signs of the onset of pyometria. Guess this is a grain of credit to the caring breeders here coming from me! Don't blink! :p:

Marissa, if you know who her breeder was, it might at least be worth a call to the breeder and see if she can be of any help. I would think any extra development time would be beneficial for over all health and longevity. Good luck. Gracie is 13 months old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts