Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our "Honey" is 9 months old, and was spayed less than a week ago. She was doing fine until Friday night. She got all of her stuffed toys out and began carrying them around, whimpering some, going to her kennel, sniffing, licking and nudging them with her nose. Her appetite has decreased, and lastnight she went to bed without us, and stayed there for 12 hrs. This morning she hasn't eaten yet, but had her last pain pill with peanut butter. Her stiches look fine, she checks on her incision every so often, but, generally leaves it alone. Yes, I am calling the vet and hopefully get her in today. But, my question is, has anyone else had a female act like this with their stuffed toys?.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
I actually had two females act like this when they were going through phantom pregnancy...these are some of the symptoms mine had:

Depression (suddenly becomes withdrawn or clingy)
Restlessness (there might be lots of whining involved too)
Nesting behavior (watch out for your dog tearing up paper or a blanket and making a nest somewhere in the house which she thinks is safe and comfortable)
Digging (often combined with the nesting behavior)
Mothering (she might latch onto a stuffed toy, shoe or other items and literally mother these objects)
Anxiety

It happened after their heat cycles...Did Honey have a heat cycle before she was spayed?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes, she went thru one cycle.
Then I would ask the vet if he thinks that's what is going on, one of my girls went through it a few times during her life but she had never been spayed, the other one went into her first heat the night before her spay surgery, then right after her heat she had the false pregnancy, nesting in the closet, carrying all of her stuffed animals around, the anxiety, and not wanting to eat as much etc.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts