Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it, but I am a little nervous for Darby's spay tomorrow.:no:
Any advice for what to have on hand for her recovery? I assume she will have the collar cone thing on. I would wait a bit to spay her, but I start back to full time work next week....that means about 7 hours in her crate every day...ughhhh. That is another worry! Not sure what all I can put in her crate to keep her occupied, because she tears and eats stuff up. Even the water bowl will be turned over:bowl:

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Bully sticks, bones, frozen kongs..just things to keep her busy and not running around!

We have Koda in the crate for about 8 hours (4 hour blocks) with a walk in the middle of the day. We put a few toys in that she wont destroy but I dont think she uses them. She must just sleep the majority of the day. We do give her some peanut butter in her kong when we first put her in so she has that for a little bit.

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Is your vet keeping her overnight?

Mine did for Phoebe who was spayed a few weeks ago.

When I got her the next day, it was like she was back to normal (except for the cone) Just make sure she doesnt do a lot of jumping and playing.

Lastly make sure you check her stitches daily to make sure there is no discharge and that there isnt abnormal swelling :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Do your best to stay calm and relaxed or you will feed that nervous energy to your dog and this experience will not be a good one for her... The previous posts covered good examples of toys... I personally love bully sticks since they are natural and less harsh on a dog's stomach... Hope everything works out well for you!

Reactions: doula1st

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darby is home, they did not keep her overnight. She still does not want to walk...poor baby! I will spend my night right next her. Thank you for the tips. They did not give me a cone and said most dogs dont need it. I was very surprised by that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts