Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Matt
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if we haven't decided yet on a male or female yet, but our breeder says she has her new owners wait until at least 1 year to spay or neuter. I totally agree with this, just have a couple issues. I was gonna email her but I am impatient..:p

If we get a boy the only issue we have to deal with is marking?

If we get a female I'm guessing we will have to go through at least 1 heat cycle, but I'm concerned about spotting. We live in a townhouse so bleeding on the carpet is not cool. We can confine to the kitchen, but that seems kind of mean to confine the dog to a 15x15 area for a month. What is a normal precaution? I'm guessing they make some sort of diaper or something?

any input is appreciated..:wavey:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I don't really have much experience with either, but I can say now that my male at 6 months old hasn't lifted his leg, and I honestly don't think he ever will. He just doesn't seem like that kind of dog.

With females, you can get a diaper (I'm not sure what their official name is) but I believe that they sell them at petsmart. Just be sure to always take her out on a leash and never leave her unsupervised. Otherwise you should be fine!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Many boys never try marking in the house. Ours certainly never did, and they're still intact at 3 and 4.

They make panties for the girls, and lots of people believe it's worth the health benefit of allowing them to have one heat before spaying. I'm sure the breeder can tell you everything you need to know in order to be prepared.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Sawyer is 16 months old and has never, ever marked in the house at all. Quinn is 8 months and he never has either. They are both intact. I think it's a myth about boys and marking - or a greatly over-exaggerated trait.

Reactions: Jamm

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Sawyer is 16 months old and has never, ever marked in the house at all. Quinn is 8 months and he never has either. They are both intact. I think it's a myth about boys and marking - or a greatly over-exaggerated trait.
Well, they do mark a lot, outside.

Maybe it's a bigger deal with other breeds?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I've never had a problem with my 2.5 year old, intact male marking indoors. Sounds like some sort of myth that marking inappropriately is to be expected.

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
Well.. thats good to know!!. I think this was probably my only worry about having a male... was the potential for marking as he gets older. He is four months old now and no marking behaviors at all. Thats not to say he wont, but, I'm thinking this isn't going to be a concern here!

We had our girl spay before her first heat at just a few weeks shy of a year old. She never had a heat cycle. So I have no experience there. Check with your breeder as to when her previous females pups went into season. I think it varies among females.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Very true - Sawyer marks ALL THE TIME on our walks outside!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same with Bosco (15months old). He only marks during our walks (a lot!!!!!!) and has never marked inside the house. He will do a normal pee in the garden, but never goes around marking the garden or drive way.

We mainly walk in the fields and forest, but when we do walk near houses, he knows he is not allowed to mark against fences, gates, other people's property, basically.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank did mark in the house once before he was neutered but I agree, it's not something that is guaranteed to happen if your boy is intact.

If those two issues were guiding me on my choice, I'd pick the male. There are panties available for a female in heat but I wouldn't want to deal with the potential "suitors" hanging around my house during that time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts