Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Spay Options - surgical laser vs sutures?

249 4
For those of you who opt to spay/neuter your dog, would you recommend paying a couple hundred more for surgical laser? Looking into this ahead of time since the clinics in my area book up a couple months in advance 😬

My local vet does not provide this option and said Nova “may” require suture removal depending on whether or not they can use dissolvable sutures. However, a nearby animal hospital provides this option.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,246 Posts
My vet did not have this option, worked out fine for me, my girl’s incision was around 1/2 inch long only, very tiny. Her sutures were dissolvable and very neat. So in response I would not.

·
Super Moderator
941 Posts
For those of you who opt to spay/neuter your dog, would you recommend paying a couple hundred more for surgical laser? Looking into this ahead of time since the clinics in my area book up a couple months in advance 😬

My local vet does not provide this option and said Nova “may” require suture removal depending on whether or not they can use dissolvable sutures. However, a nearby animal hospital provides this option.
They do not sound like they are practicing in modern times, lol — I would not take any chance on needing suture removal. I would go elsewhere, personally.

As far as laser itself, it’s a nice option, but not totally necessary either. If the vet I wanted to do the spay offered it, I would personally go for it, but I feel the dissolvable suture issue is more important.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They do not sound like they are practicing in modern times, lol — I would not take any chance on needing suture removal. I would go elsewhere, personally.

As far as laser itself, it’s a nice option, but not totally necessary either. If the vet I wanted to do the spay offered it, I would personally go for it, but I feel the dissolvable suture issue is more important.
Yeah I feel like the fact that they couldn’t tell me whether they could do it threw me off. I’ve been wanting to switch Nova’s vet to the animal hospital that does the surgical laser anyway. They seem to do far more surgeries too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts