Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Maci's Mom
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Just last night I dropped off one of my puggles (Antonia) to get spayed. That got me thinking about Maci getting spayed. Our vet had mentioned something about waiting a little bit longer to get them spayed may decrease the risk in some diseases as apparently some tests are being done on it. Anyway I was wondering if you guys had any thing to say about this. Should I wait just a little longer or get her spayed at the normal age (It is 6 months right? oh and she is 4 months)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,393 Posts
It sounds like you have a great vet. I'm waiting until Archer turns two to neuter because research says that early spay/neuter can affect their bone development and overall health. There should be plenty of threads on the forum with links to studies and tons of information. So if you can wait I'd highly suggest you do. Just waiting until shes had one heat cycle would be good enough for me. If you feel like you couldn't properly protect Maci from an accidental pregnancy during that time then I would spay before her first heat but not before 6 months. You'd have to be very careful to make sure she was never alone outside for the entirety of her heat, which is kind of a long time.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top