Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping Prism will chime in as I lost the other post about how long to wait to spay after heat.

Maggie stopped bleeding about April 20th. We are going to have a minimally invasive spay. I couldn't remember if I should wait a month or several months? My vet says a couple weeks? I have waited until now but was wondering if June was too early?

Her nipples still feel a bit swollen to me. Or, maybe they stay that way now that she had had a heat cycle? She is my first female so I have no prior reference.

Thank you,
Jules

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for the comments. Are the swollen nipples something that is going to stay?
I think I will wait until at least July to spay her.
Jules

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,902 Posts
If you mean a slight puffiness surrounding the nipples, that will go away. If you're talking about the nipples itself they should go down pretty much to normal. All my dogs have.

If they end up going through a false pregnancy and any tits that may fill with milk that swell some, nipples may not go back normal size but will reduce in size. But a lot of times in that situation, may lead to mastitis since there are no puppies to draw it the milk.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you mean a slight puffiness surrounding the nipples, that will go away. If you're talking about the nipples itself they should go down pretty much to normal. All me dogs have.

If they end up going through a false pregnancy and any tits that may fill with milk that swell some may not go back normal size but will reduce in size. But a lot of times in that situation, may lead to mastitis sooner there are no puppies to draw it the milk.
Yes, the puffiness. Thank you for your reply. I am going to schedule her for July so hopefully that will go down before then. If not, then I guess I wait a bit more :)
Jules

1 - 8 of 8 Posts