Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 7 mo. old GR puppy, Amber, that will be ready for spay at a year. I lost my first Irish setter show bitch to bloat. She survived surgery, but died two hours later. How many of you have decided to do a spay plus gastropexy? What are the pros and cons? Thanks so much. :wavey:

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
GRF member jluke just mentioned that their dog had been spay and gastroplexy.

Is this what the vets are now offering?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Irish setters are certainly more at risk for bloat than most goldens. Gastropexy is not without risk( I have seen pneumothorax as a sequela). However, the new vet that is now working with us was in the military and they routinely did prophylactic gastropexies(we're talking GSD and malinois.)

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I have definitely heard of this for Great Danes and collies, but never goldens. I do know of just one person who lost a young golden to bloat, but I don't think it is wildly common.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
this is interesting as we are having this discussion amongst the flat coat folks right now and many of them are doing a gastroplexy... however I can say that my Irish Wolfhound breeder will not sell a puppy to someone who plans on doing a prophylactic gastroplexy. She has not had a torsion in her lines in 20 years or something like that ...

its an interesting discussion

·
and Luvtazz too
509 Posts
My Tazz developed bloat and needed emergency surgery. (my fault, I gave him rawhide and did not supervise him. He swollowed the bone without chewing) He lived against horrible odds. They did a gastroplexy during the surgery but do not advise it as a normal procedure.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
we had Gracie gastropexied when she was spayed. Good idea.

·
Banned
616 Posts
What about Laparoscopic surgery? It seems like doing the gastropexy this way would even be less invasive than a normal spay..? Anyone go this route? I know there is a vet near me that is trained to do Laparoscopic surgery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts