Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where in the world can I find a nice 8-12 week old male pup without jumping through hoops with all of the crazy websites 3 month waiting lists and over priced pups!!

I don't need a SHOW DOG!! I just want a nice golden that will look like a golden and have the great temperament.. This is my first dog as an adult, and I would really like a puppy to raise!! I have had adopted dogs while I was a kid and LOVED THEM!! I just really love goldens and want that companionship and cuteness!!

Thank you for any and all HELP!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Where in the world can I find a nice 8-12 week old male pup without jumping through hoops with all of the crazy websites 3 month waiting lists and over priced pups!!

I don't need a SHOW DOG!! I just want a nice golden that will look like a golden and have the great temperament.. This is my first dog as an adult, and I would really like a puppy to raise!! I have had adopted dogs while I was a kid and LOVED THEM!! I just really love goldens and want that companionship and cuteness!!

If you want immediate gratification, you go to a pet store or search the want ads of the local newspaper. If you're not worried about the genetic background of your golden, you go to a pet store or search the want ads of the local paper. Simple enough.

If you're willing to wait and deal with someone who breeds for a hobby, participates in dog sports and has a tremendous knowledge of the breed--more than you have--and will give you what is basically 24/7 technical support to you for your pup's entire life, then you're going to deal with one of these "show" hobby breeders. If you're concerned about temperament and temperament testing, you're going to deal with a hobby breeder. If you're concerned about the health of the sire and dam of your pup, and the genetic background of your pup, you'll deal with a hobby breeder. If you want to know that should anything happen to you or your family, and you need to know your pup will have a home to go back to, you'll deal with a hobby breeder. And for all this, you'll be willing to wait, and be willing to pay the money for the additional time, and expertise that will be provided to you for the entire life of your pup.

Welcome to the GRF--I also live in South Florida, and my husband and I waited close to 2 years from moment of research until bringing our first golden home--and he was well worth the wait.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Have you considered rescue? You may possibly find a smaller puppy in one of your rescue groups...google "golden retriever rescue" and your city or close cities to you & see what you find.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,603 Posts

How do you define "overpriced"?

I know of at least four nice litters right off the top of my head without even looking hard.

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
Yeah, what counts as "overpriced" to you? Do not expect to pay less than $1000 on a well bred pup.
Fisher has a litter with boys available in Melbourne, but I tend to wave off people who balk at price right off the bat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! I put a deposit down!!!! Found an family in Kendall with 3 week old pups that I will need to wait for before I choose one.. or they choose me!! SOOO CUTE and adorable.. I CANT WAIT!! I have a picture but don't know how to post?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just curious, where did you find the breeder? Did you come across a website? I live in the central Florida area. Would love to see a picture.

Michele

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
If you want immediate gratification, you go to a pet store or search the want ads of the local newspaper. If you're not worried about the genetic background of your golden, you go to a pet store or search the want ads of the local paper. Simple enough.

If you're willing to wait and deal with someone who breeds for a hobby, participates in dog sports and has a tremendous knowledge of the breed--more than you have--and will give you what is basically 24/7 technical support to you for your pup's entire life, then you're going to deal with one of these "show" hobby breeders. If you're concerned about temperament and temperament testing, you're going to deal with a hobby breeder. If you're concerned about the health of the sire and dam of your pup, and the genetic background of your pup, you'll deal with a hobby breeder. If you want to know that should anything happen to you or your family, and you need to know your pup will have a home to go back to, you'll deal with a hobby breeder. And for all this, you'll be willing to wait, and be willing to pay the money for the additional time, and expertise that will be provided to you for the entire life of your pup.

Welcome to the GRF--I also live in South Florida, and my husband and I waited close to 2 years from moment of research until bringing our first golden home--and he was well worth the wait.
Rappwizard offers some very good advice in this response. Hopefully many prospective puppy buyers will take heed of the advice given.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts