Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had any great soup/stew/chili recipes that they'd like to share. I have a giant pot of vegetable soup simmering on the stove right now - an adaption of a recipe that I got in a Sam's Club magazine. The only changes I've made in this recipe are adding a can of stewed tomatoes, a cup and a half of frozen corn and a cup and a half of frozen green beans.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
2 cups cubed potatoes
5 cans (14 1/2 oz each) low sodium beef broth (about 2 quarts)
1 package (15 oz) marinara sauce
dash of dried thyme leaves
dash each of salt and pepper

Cooking directions:
Heat oil in a large stock pot. Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook 5 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.

Add remaining ingredients; stir. Simmer 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.

I'll update with a picture and to let you know how it is when it's all done!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
This is a chili recipe that I have played with and tweaked to this current one.

1 lb. Ground meat (sometimes I sub in turkey)
1 - 14oz can of diced tomatoes
1 - 6oz can of tomato paste
1/2 bell pepper chopped (any color is fine)
1/2 onion chopped
4 cloves garlic minced or grated
1 1/2 tblspn Chipolte Chili powder (if you can't find increase reg. chili powder and add cayenne pepper)
2 tblspn reg chile powder
1 tblspn ground cumin
1 can beans (I prefer black but kidney beans are fine also)
1/2 bottle beer (the chef gets to consume the other 1/2)
2 tblspn veg. oil
Salt
Pepper
Sour Cream (optional)
shredded Mexican cheese (optional)
Fresh lime wedges (optional)

In a large pot heat oil
Add meat and saute till just brown. Remove meat with slotted spoon to a bowl.
Drain excess fat from pot but leave about 2 tblspn.
Return pot to heat and add peppers, onions and saute about 5 min
Add garlic, saute 1 more minute
Add chili powders, cumin, tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, meat and beer
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to boil
Lower heat and simmer 1 hour covered. Stir occasionally
Remove lid and simmer till thickened, about 15 minutes.

I serve with a dollop of sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese blend and a little fresh lime squeezed on top.
I also prefer to eat it with tortilla chips rather than a spoon. But to each their own.

Reactions: hollyk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Guinness Beef Stew! Easy in the crock pot!

4 lbs boneless beef chuck or sirloin stew meat
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups Guinness Draught (not the extra stout)
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp dried thyme
1 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 bay leaves
5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
1 1/2 lb baby red potatoes, scrubbed clean
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp minced parsley (fresh)

Pat beef dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tsp oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook half of beef until browned on all-sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker insert and repeat with additional 2 tsp oil and remaining beef.

Add remaining 2 tsp oil, onions, and 1/4 tsp salt to skillet and cook until onions are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add broth, 1 1/4 cups stout, sugar, thyme, chocolate and bay leaves - bring to boil using wooden spoon to scrape up browned bits. Transfer to slow cooker insert.

Add carrots, parsnips, and potatoes to slow cooker insert. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 9-10 hours (or cook on hight for 6-7 hours). Set slow cooker to high. Whisk flour and remaining 1/4 cup beer until smooth, then stir mixture into slow cooker. Cook, covered, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper, and discard bay leaf. Serve!

Attachments

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hank, that sounds delicious! We aleady have the chipotle chili powder...hmm...lol

Any kind of beer in particular that you use?? The only kind we have around here are things like Magic Hat #9 and Oberon. My husband is super picky about his beer and I don't drink it. lol Oohh, but I do have some Woodchuck (hard cider), which could be yummy...

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooh, I'm definitely doing that stew. I LOVE stew. I went to Ireland when I was 14 and that was my favorite thing - super yummy stew (and soda bread) at every restaurant that you went to. You can't find good stew at very many places here. Of course, theirs was usually lamb, but still. Delicious. lol

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I make a turkey chili that turns out amazing every time, even though I'm pretty sure I make it slightly differently each time I make it

1 finely chopped onion
1.5 lbs ground turkey (or beef)
1 large can rinsed kidney beans
2 cans rinsed great northern beans
2 tblsp tomato paste
1 can low sodium chopped tomatoes
low sodium chicken stock
chili powder to taste
roux - 3 tblsps butter/3 tblps flour - melt butter in a pan, add flour, stir around until flour doesn't have that raw flour smell anymore

I saute the onion in a little olive oil, then add the turkey/beef. Once it's browned it all goes into the crock pot. Add the beans, chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Eyeball the chicken stock, I think I end up using about 2 cups. Add the chili powder - I end up using a lot, probably 3-4 tablespoons, but start with 1 and go from there. After it's been cooking for awhile (3-4 hours on low) I make the roux and add that in. It thickens it up a bit and makes it so yummy. Then I let it cook another 2-3 hours on low. Salt/pepper as desired. Add more chicken stock/make more roux if need to loosen/thicken it up.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Well I am not a beer "connoisseur" and not familiar with any you mentioned. Just a lager (we tend to have Yuengling in the house). I would stay away from any "flavored) ones. My son has some pumpkin :)crazy:) beer in the frig at the moment.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Ingredients:
1 package (15 oz) marinara sauce

Is this a jar or some kind of powder/mix?

PS
You might want to consider a career as a food photographer. I am stuffed from my chicken chimichangas and that soup photo makes wish I had a spoon.

Reactions: fostermom

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
That looks really good. Tis the season for soups and stews. I make a good beef burgandy that I love in the winter. I make it by eye now but I'll have to dig up the recipe I started with. It starts with "Render 1/4lb salt pork" as do many great downeast recipe's. LOL.

Thanks for sharing all of these! I'm excited to give them all a try.

Here's my soup:

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My grandma's dumplings beat Bisquick dumplings! lol I make drop dumplings with Bisquick, but only because I can't get them like my grandma's. She does the noodle dumplings (Southern style). She doesn't have a recipe - it's a little bit of this and a handful of that. lol

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Sam, your veggie soup looks delicious!

I use a box mix for my chili, I'm just too lazy I guess.

I do have a really yummy looking recipe for a low fat French Onion Soup that I can't wait to try.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Ever had Cincinnati Chili? Its sweeter and spiced differently from regular chili. The best Cincy chili place, by far, is Skyline. I am an Ohio native, so, I grew up with it, but hubby wasn't so lucky, so, every time I make this recipe (it serves 10-12) he eats the whole pot within 2 days...

Toppings

Directions:

1. Brown ground beef and onion.
  2. Drain.
  3. Add beef stock to beef mixture and simmer 10 minutes.
  4. Add remaining 13 ingredients, simmer uncovered 1 hour.
  5. Remove bay leaf, skim off extra fat.
  6. Serve over hot spaghetti, or hot dogs in buns for chili dogs.
  7. Top with plenty of cheese and other optional toppings.

Important notes:

This must be served on spaghetti (or a nice juicy hot dog)...no ifs ands or buts.
You can make it a 3 way by topping it with cheese.
4 way by topping it with onions and cheese.
5 way by topping it with cheese, onions, and beans.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts