Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My golden just turned 13 May 4. About 18 months ago, he started having grand mal seizures. he is taking phenobarb and potassium bromide which is controlling seizures fairly well. He also suffers from arthritis and is also on Rimadyl. He is beginning to have problems walking and steadying himself while urinating which our vet believes is due to neurological as opposed to the arthritis. He seems to go through cycles and when at his worst, he trembles and is very weak. Our vet started giving him shots of an antibiotic, Baytril, for a another problem and we found he stops trembling and actually wants to go for short walks after getting the shots. We don't think this is a coincidence and are trying to get the vet to continue to give the shots. But regardless, his overall condition continues to worsen. Our vet feels his current weakness, imbalance and awkward gait is due to neurological problems rather than the arthritis and he maintains our guy is not in any real pain. We are hoping there is some answer to helping him as he is still a very strong dog with a good disposition.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh my goodness, i am so sorry for the condition of your best pal! Goldens are so special its hard to watch them deteriorate. I hope the best for him and your family. Please keep us posted on his condition and yall will be in our prayers.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Oh my god, this was very hard to read. I hope he'll get better. I also hope they would figure out what the real problem is.
Please let us know how it goes.
Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies but well, we have laid our love to rest. It was horrid to say good-bye but it was best for him so it was right. It is absolutely torture without him in our home. As much as we prayed for responses from someone it hurts very deeply now. Please just keep us in your prayers.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I've been there before, and each time I say I won't get as attached to my cat or dog, and each time I get just as attached or more. I thnk it is just in some people to need that loving companion and to be able to gaze into eyes that look with adoratin at you. Some of my petless friends ask why I do it, and I realize that they do not know the joy of having someone at the door waiting and wagging their tail. After you've had a hellish day, they greet you just the same, and never criticize or yell or demand. They just love you and I need that , so I assume others need that too. I will pray for you and when you come out of the darkness of loneliness then you will be ready for another addition to your family. God bless you

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. They are truly wonderful companions and they leave such a hole in our hearts when they leave.

Fran

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.