Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Catalina: Maya's mom!
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! Long time no see. The thing is I'm on my last years of college and getting lots of practice... so I'm out of time to do just about anything. It's nice to come and read every once in a while (even if I don't write much!)

So... Maya's now 20 months... she's a big girl (as you can see in the pictures, I love the ones with the big smile, btw). She's very sweet and playful and she's so cute with my nephews. HOWEVER
SHE JUST HATES SMALL DOGS... and this is so weird, because she grew up with a beagle (well I think she specially dislikes terriers). With labs and other big dogs she gets along just fine. When we go to the park I let her off the leash, she plays with other dogs and comes when she's called. BUT... when something like a schnauzer, westie, yorkie comes near she gets aggressive. Yesterday when she was walking with my mom she even bit a dog.

Luckily the dog's just fine... nothing happened, but the owner's not so happy about this, and neither am I.

Any advice??

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had a beagle with the same problem (although easier to manage a rude beagle than a rude golden). Once she got into a fight with a pug that was held by a small child who thought this was hilarious and didn't try and keep her dog back. Her parents were about 20 feet away, too busy talking to come get their dog out of this mess with mine. The pug initiated the attack, maybe in play but Billy was not the playful type. His aggression and overprotectiveness over me and my boyfriend got so bad we had to take alternate walking routes to avoid people and tell children that no they couldn't pet our adorable, unintimidating beagle. In the end, he attacked our son and we couldn't make excuses anymore and had to get rid of him. Hopefully you find a solution before anything truly bad (or worse) happens, it's never easy to lose a pet you adore, even if they misbehave.

·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, when I'm the one with her I usually spot trouble before it comes. So when I see a small dog around and catch Maya watching it I immediately say "No" and she gets distracted long enough for me to get her back on the leash. Today she went running towards the dog (luckily I took her out with a muzzle just in case). She stopped the second I yelled at her, but then the little schnauzer came barking to her and she went crazy (on her defense, she was provoked) . If she hadn't had the muzzle on the dog wouldn't have lived to wag the tail....

By this point I got really mad at her, put her leash on, told her to sit, and stay still on the spot. When she calmed down and the dog was at a considerable distance, I let go of her leash and this time she stayed away.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I think it's time to say goodbye to the park. It's not safe to let her off leash where there may be small dogs. And if I were you, I would talk to a good trainer or behaviorist to find out if this is something that can be overcome or if you just need to work around it.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
i think thats a huge part of the problem right there. as i understand it, whenever you see a smalbreed you tense up and become nervous, angry or whatever it is... point us,
youre no longer calm.

the dog will immedietly sense that something is
"wrong" with, and become unsure, combine that with pastor bad experiences and you, orthe dog rather, has an issue.

setting angre is never the way...
if the dog gets aggressive and you
wind yourself up screaming, youll
only escalete the situation and make it worse.

i would get a hold of someone with a small breed, go to a location
with few distractions and deal with it there.

gotta go now, get back to
you later... im at work

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
See if there is a dog park that has a section for just big dogs. The dog park near us has seperate sections for small and large dogs. The little dogs sometimes like yorkies can upset them with their yapping and jumping at them.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
We are now working with a trainer because of a situation that happened with Shadow. He doesn't like many dogs and turned and went after his buddy! I know where I failed him. I'm hoping I can work on this, but he is going to be 7, so it may not ever be resolved. He's fine with Tucker, but I'm not sure I can ever trust him again with other dogs and the reaction I saw yesterday. Tucker paid the price and shouldn't have had to.

Good luck...I'd work on this while she's still young.

·
Super Moderator
4,739 Posts
As an owner who has had a similar problem, my advice is also to work on it right away though training so it doesn't escalate. U also agree that she feels your tension and to avoid dog parks and only socialize her with big dogs in a safe environment where she will not run into any small dogs. It is worth the effort, I promise!

·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok... so now we're managing the situation. We spoke to her trainer so we can get to the bottom of this. We'll try working (the three of us... obviously I'm not assuming this is just HER problem) once or twice a week. I'll keep you up. Keep your fingers crossed!

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
Keep us informed about what your trainer says and what methods he/she uses to address the situation. Also, if it is working or not. It seems like there are a lot of other people in your shoes.

·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok... so I spoke to Maya's trainer and he told me Maya was a particular case. He takes her out once or twice a week with other dogs, including 2 italian greyhounds and a yorkie. The thing is, she's been hanging out with this group for a while and hasn't met new dogs recently. SO... she's kinda "humanized" and only accepts the dogs she hangs out with.
The thing is that recently a new family moved in to the house across the street. They have a schnauzer that gets in everybody's nerves... including Maya's. The thing is that now Maya associates every schnauzer she meets with the one across the street.

On the bright side, yesterday I got to spend the whole morning with Maya, her trainer and her gang. It was a beautiful morning. I'll post pictures on a new thread as soon as I load them to my computer!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Until you've spent a lot of time working on this problem, it's probably not fair to let Maya off leash at the dog park. It stinks, but if she has already bitten another dog, it's really not fair to the other dog owners to let her off leash. Sadly you probably need to keep her on leash in public until you've worked through this problem.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Victorial Stillwell's method to deal with this kind of problem is to make the approach of a small dog result in really good stuff for Maya. She has the owners in her show get their dogs attention, then start giving treats and continue giving treats as the other dogs comes closer and then passes.

I have no idea how long this method takes to be effective, but in the episodes I've watched it did work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts