Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Now Fenway's Proud Mom!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! It’s been a long time since I’ve posted and many of you may not even remember me. I have a sweet golden boy named Fenway and his little pal Tango, a female rat terrier. Fenway just turned 1 on September 10! I’ll have to get some pictures uploaded so that you can see how he has grown.

I’ve been checking in on the forum off and on, but for the most part have been away for awhile. Our family has had some major struggles in the past year that I won’t go into detail about, but suffice to say, it’s been enough to turn life on its’ head for awhile.

Because of all the trouble in our lives, Fenway’s training has been zilch. He’s still as loving as ever, but I have failed him in so many ways by not giving him the time he needed to properly train him. I care nothing about him competing or performing, but I know full well that for him to be the integral part of our family that I want him to be, he needs solid basic obedience. I read something last night that talked about how few privileges an untrained dog has because they haven’t been taught to behave, and I cringed knowing that it described exactly what has happened with Fenway. With Tango, the rat terrier, the lack of obedience training affects the family much less because she’s tiny and if she jumps up into your lap it doesn’t bother anyone. If she runs in the door ahead of you, no one even notices. Whereas, Fenway jumping in your lap or trying to beat your through the door can leave bruises! He’s a big boy.

Despite my failure, he’s absolutely an angel. He’s as docile as just about any animal I’ve ever been around…has never shown any aggression…just wonderful. He simply hasn’t had opportunity to learn the manners that he needs.

I’m posting today, though, to commit to you all that I refuse to short change him anymore. Regardless of what’s going on in my life, I'm going to do my very best to get him the time and training that he deserves. I’m hoping that I can stay in touch with you all and you will encourage me to keep it up even when things are tough. I also hope that you can be my source of knowledge when it comes to his training. I watched my grandfather train border collies to work sheep and cattle for years, but I have very little hands on knowledge of it myself. I’m a researcher by nature, though, and am willing to read, watch, and study as much as I need. I actually purchased simple training book last night to start with.

So, if you’ve stuck around to the end of this, thanks for reading. Thank you also for showing me, through your posts about your own dogs, how much more of a loved companion Fenway can be if I’ll give him the instruction he needs. I have dreamed in the past of getting him to a point where we could do therapy work, and I still think that would be wonderful. First things first, though. My goal is to have him ready to test for his CGC within a year. I'm sure a pro could have him ready in much less time than that, but we've got no time limit and our training time together will be fun. Whenever we achieve it, it will a proud accomplishment for us both!

I’ll be around with lots of questions and pictures.

Cat

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
Glad to see ya back. I hope everything is settling down for you and your family. I have always loved his name ! Good luck getting back on track - you can do it !

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Hi! Welcome back.

I think you will find that once you start seriously working with Fenway on his training, you will actually find that you look forward to spending that time with him. And then you won't let anything get in the way of your training times. Good luck!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Cat,

I am new so I do have never had the pleasure of speaking with you. I am sorry for the unfortunate circumstances in your life. I hope they are all resolving now.

Fenway sounds like he has a very good family! I hope your training/bonding goes very well with him!

As a matter of fact, we also are going to start training with classes for the CGC. It seemed like the next logical step for Luck. Maybe we can swap stories!

Hope to talk to you soon!

·
Now Fenway's Proud Mom!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome, you guys. It's a pleasure to meet those of you who I haven't met before.

·
Now Fenway's Proud Mom!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beth,
I was about to ask how old Lucky is, but I see your ticker now! He and Fenway are pretty close in age. :)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Welcome Back!!! I am sure you and Fenway can find your full potential.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Beth,
I was about to ask how old Lucky is, but I see your ticker now! He and Fenway are pretty close in age. :)

How old is Fenway? I did to mention originally I LOVE the name Fenway. Lucky was the name when we adopted him which we were going to change. Unfortunately, once we all came up with a name that we could agree on we FORGOT to call him that! :doh: So Luck just stuck.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome back,
I hope things are back on the upswing in your life. Even though you think you have let Fenway down (you havent), once you start training he will be whipped back into shape in no time and you will find you are really enjoying your time together and it will bring you closer.

·
Now Fenway's Proud Mom!
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for all the encouragement everyone!

Beth, thanks for the compliments on Fenway's name. My hubby is from a town near Boston and is an avid Red Sox fan. So it was natural for us to name him Fenway as that is the name of the park where they play.

Oh and he just turned 1 on Sept 10th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts