Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jack's mama
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Noticed today that Jack has some pink spots on the front of his muzzle/lips that seem to be getting bigger and look a bit irritated. They started out small but are getting larger. They almost look like small cold sores. I was thinking that maybe he is allergic to something but was curious if anyone else had any experience with this. He is not scratching and it doesn't seem to be bothering him much but not sure yet.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
What type of food dish are you using? Plastic, ceramic, stainless steel?

Plastic is not good as it can hold bacteria's longer than the other two. Also, how often do you wash the bowls? Try washing them after every meal to see if the problem will take care of itself.

·
Jack's mama
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bowls are stainless steel. I wash them frequently but will see if washing them daily will help. They do not look like warts because they are recessed and are not sticking up. He is 11 months.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I'm not an expert but that doesn't look like viral papilloma to me. Papilloma's are raised and look like cauliflower. And they are most often found inside the mouth near the gum line.

Do you see anything when you look inside his mouth?

·
Administrator
16,483 Posts
I had a Golden get pink spots like that one year. I was not sure what caused them. They were not an injury nor did they have a raised surface. Several months later they went away so I assumed it may be some kind of pigment change.
Below is a picture the year she had it.

Attachments

·
16,000 Posts
FYI, papilloma can occur anywhere on the dog's body, the most common areas being the face, mouth, muzzle, genitals, and rectum.
They can appear in clusters or singly. THey can be skin color, pink, or a yellow color. THey can be small and barely raised, or have a larger "cauliflower" appearance.
THey are often called "puppy warts" because they are frequently seen in dogs under 2 years old with immune systems that are not fully developed, but geriatric dogs with failing immune systems can also get them.

Although contagious to other dogs (not transmittable to people), they are self limiting.

If concerned, have your vet check Jack, but they are usually not treated and will disappear within 1-4 months.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I think if they don't clear up right away, a visit to the vet might be a good idea. Like I said, I'm not an expert but I've seen several cases of papilloma and none of them have looked like this. It would be good to know. If it is papilloma, you would need to be careful around other dogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts