Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sore on toe and e-collar question (pics added)

Molson has had a sore on the top/side of his front 'pinky' toe for about 2 weeks. It appears like he scraped it when he was running, and now it has begun to scab over. Hard to say because it is hidden beneath some fur, but it's about 3/8" in size, and located right above/beside the nail.

It hasn't gotten any worse than it was initially, but hasn't gotten much better. Another one showed up 2 or 3 days ago on the outside of a back paw. Same place, slightly above/beside the nail.

I've been putting polysporin on them twice a day for the past week, and prior to that I was using this anti-inflammatory (Advil-like) spray that thet vet had given us a few months ago for something similar. The sores don't seem to bother Molson when we touch them, but as soon as I put any medication on it, he pulls his paws away and spends the next 15 minutes trying to lick it off (I try to stop him but he still gets at it).

I have already tried putting his boot on but he just pulls it off, and likewise, a sock or bandage would not work. Bitter apple spray doesn't stop him either.

I'm thinking of trying an e-collar to stop him from licking them for a couple of days and give the ointments time to get absorbed and take action.

We have never used an e-collar before... I am concerned about leaving the e-collar on while I'm at work, are there any dangers with that? What about if I went with an inflatable one instead, is one safer than the other?

Also, do you think that this would help the sores?

ETA:
Here are some pics I took tonight. The first one is the back paw and the 2nd one is the front paw, although it's really hard to get a good picture because it's under the fur.
Skin Nose Snout Close-up Ear

Hair Skin Close-up Nose Fur

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
It actually sounds a little like he has itchy feet and give himself a hot spot. If that's the case, I wonder what might be causing it.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It actually sounds a little like he has itchy feet and give himself a hot spot. If that's the case, I wonder what might be causing it.
I thought of hot spots too, but the sore on the front paw isn't moist which made me think otherwise. I'm thinking that the one on his back paw might actually look a little more like a hot spot. Should I try using some listerine?

He had itchy feet for a while and he would chew at the fur underneath/between his pads, but I keep that fur short now and recently switched him to Eukanuba (we're halfway through the first 30lb bag) and he stopped the chewing thing, he's just into licking now.

Previously he was eating Nature's Harvest Grain-Free.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was thinking hot spot too, but maybe not. I don't think an inflatable collar would keep him from licking his front paws. He can probably still reach those. I've wondered about leaving a dog in the crate with a big plastic e-collar on, but have so far decided against it. Gus has a hot spot on the side of his face :(, and today's the first day he's been left on his own with it. I'll be curious to see how it looks when I get home this evening. I've been loading him up on Benadryl and tried the Listerene for a little while, but it didn't seem to stop the itching. I finally put some Cortizone cream on it, and that seems to have helped the most.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine would lick their feet with allergies.. Once mine also had a yeast infections on the feet from the moisture from licking, we used a spray once they realized it was yeast related and it cleared up.
Are you getting a correct diagnosis from your vet? Maybe he needs an oral antibiotic that can clear it up..
Has he had skin scraping to know what your up against for proper treatment?

I have used antihistimines but with the proper doses from an veterinarian allergist on my dogs.

Just a thought, I know how frustrating this can be.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine would lick their feet with allergies.. Once mine also had a yeast infections on the feet from the moisture from licking, we used a spray once they realized it was yeast related and it cleared up.
Are you getting a correct diagnosis from your vet? Maybe he needs an oral antibiotic that can clear it up..
Has he had skin scraping to know what your up against for proper treatment?

I have used antihistimines but with the proper doses from an veterinarian allergist on my dogs.

Just a thought, I know how frustrating this can be.
No we have not been to the vet for this yet. Since it's not getting worse, I'm going to see if it can clear up over the next few days, and if not then I will take him in. Regarding the itchy feet in the past, both our old and new vets said that it was unlikely to be allergies because there were no other symptoms and he was on a relatively basic food.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
A couple of months ago, Merlin had a similar spot on the top of his pinky toe at the nail bed! I used Gentocin spray on it 3 times a day, but I think what helped just as much was shaving the fur on that toe so it could get some air.

The vet found it was bacterial. I think Merl picked it up at a lake we went to that had a very muddy bottom. Anyway, it healed up after about a week.

Poor Molson!! Hope he feels better!

·
5,002 Posts
No we have not been to the vet for this yet. Since it's not getting worse, I'm going to see if it can clear up over the next few days, and if not then I will take him in. Regarding the itchy feet in the past, both our old and new vets said that it was unlikely to be allergies because there were no other symptoms and he was on a relatively basic food.
I waited about a week before I went to the vet. He didn't do a scraping, but he did employ some state of the art testing....a strip of scotch tape! :) And just told me to up the gentocin to 3 times a day.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I waited about a week before I went to the vet. He didn't do a scraping, but he did employ some state of the art testing....a strip of scotch tape! :) And just told me to up the gentocin to 3 times a day.
Interesting! lol Did you have any problems with Merlin licking the spray off?

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I would try some Gold Bond Powder, cut the hair away a little and use the Gold Bond..it seems to work wonders on hot spots, dries them out really quick also good on any other sores.

·
Premium Member
18,638 Posts
I actually would have the vet look at those and do a skin scraping to make sure it is not demodex or a bacterial infection.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I recommend the skin scrape also.

We had a very similar sore and thought it was a hot spot and self treated for a few weeks. Kept getting worse. Went to the vet they thought it was a hot spot and we treated with Gentamicin for a few weeks and it kept getting worse.

If you look at my thread titled "Sore on Foot - Update and opinions wanted" (sorry don't know how to do the thread link) this is what it ended up looking like about 1 1/2 months into it when the scrape was finally done and she was diagnosed with Demodex.

I am not saying this is what it is, but with the lack of hair I am concerned and think it is worth checking out.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
When Bailey had her skin infection, the vet gave us Fuciderm gel and we still have pretty much the full tube. It seems to be just a general topical antibiotic...look it up and if you feel that it might help him, you can borrow the tube for a while :)

·
5,002 Posts
Interesting! lol Did you have any problems with Merlin licking the spray off?
A couple of times, but I stayed nearby until it dried up.

For some reason my vet doesn't like to take scrapings. It's always a last resort. :confused: :)

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well last night I got paranoid after Google Image searching Dermodex :no: (I know it's always the most extreme pictures that show up) so I made an appointment with Dr. Z (our vet) for tomorrow afternoon.

We leave for vacation on Saturday so this way I will have some peace of mind while we're gone. Molson will be at "Camp Skoker" (my mom's house) and my mama is a nurse so she can apply her magic touch on his paws!

I'll be sure to update when I get the verdict!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I am so sorry as I did not mean to scare you when I mentioned it.....and I debated it mentioning it, but on the off chance that is it I wanted to use my experience to help so you did not go thru what we did which was months of experimenting before getting a diagnosis.

The internet pics are terrible.....when I looked it terrified me also when she was diagnosed.

I will say the toughest part was trying to figure out what was wrong, once we learned it was demodex it got much easier as we just did the medicine and got better.

I hope and pray that is not it, but if that is it my personal experience is that it is treatable and you move on - done deal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts