Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Writing to know if anyone has any suggestions as to why our 15 month old male golden is shedding so much...like large tumbleweeds! This occurs before bathing, after bathing and blow dry, before and after brushing and every day in between. Seems it doesn't matter what we do, he still sheds so much, even after coming home from the groomers.

This all started in Oct when he was 8 months old. He did not really shed that much before then, when he had his puppy coat. We feed him Canadae all ages chicken meal and rice. I also give him omega-3 supplements, cranberry and Vit. C powder and a probiotic powder in his food once/day.

I know that goldens are prone to shedding, but I think he is overly shedding...any thoughts, ideas of what may be happening?

·
Registered
90 Posts
It can depend on the coat type as well. Our female has such a downy, fine coat that hair floats out of her. Our male, not so much. We brush every day and use a rake during 'shedding' season. Besides that I sweep everyday, vacuum a couple times a week, avoid black clothing ( ha!) And otherwise stay in denial.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,853 Posts
It's likely the season change. Here's probably just being his coat. Bath and use a dryer on him. Make sure your not using heat by just sit and more so once he's dry. The drier will blow most of the loose, dead hair out and brush him out a couple times a day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It can depend on the coat type as well. Our female has such a downy, fine coat that hair floats out of her. Our male, not so much. We brush every day and use a rake during 'shedding' season. Besides that I sweep everyday, vacuum a couple times a week, avoid black clothing ( ha!) And otherwise stay in denial.
This is Bruno...what do you think of his coat...does it look like your female or male?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
912 Posts
Denver had a HUGE coat blow around 12 months. It was insane. I could rake him every single day and you'd think you were de-shedding a husky. It normalized and now its back to normal, though he sheds more heavily when the seasons change.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,853 Posts
Just try and use a soap or detergent free shampoo as to not constantly strip the oils out of the skin. That will eventually dry out wreck the skin and coat over time if you bathe as frequently as once a week. The drier skin will also learned to excess shedding on a more consistent basis.

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
Just try and use a soap or detergent free shampoo as to not constantly strip the oils out of the skin. That will eventually dry out wreck the skin and coat over time if you bathe as frequently as once a week. The drier skin will also learned to excess shedding on a more consistent basis.
Show dogs get bathed every week.

Sometimes people use diluted shampoos (makes shampoo easier to wash out, plus not as harsh on the coats). Some shampoos are super thick and SHOULD be diluted (be miserable trying to rinse out).

Personally speaking - All Systems super conditioning and cleaning shampoo is what I use all the time. I don't dilute (because even in just a week, my guys get completely filthy), but the shampoo doesn't have to be diluted.

These dogs do get some extra pampering and I know many people use Pure Paws H2O Hydrating Mist or other products to put moisture back into the coat...

However, they do get bathed and groomed every week while preparing for show season + during show season.

There's more harm from "too few" baths with oily dogs like golden retrievers. You get clogged oil pores leading to skin issues and bald spots.

Personally speaking - I just use a simple leave in conditioner after blow drying (either coconut oil product OR product from my show tack box). Have used the pure paws product mentioned above - it smells like blueberries. :)

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,853 Posts

Sometimes people use diluted shampoos (makes shampoo easier to wash out, plus not as harsh on the coats). Some shampoos are super thick and SHOULD be diluted (be miserable trying to rinse out).

Personally speaking - All Systems super conditioning and cleaning shampoo is what I used all the time. I don't dilute (because even in just a week, my guys get completely filthy), but the shampoo doesn't have to be diluted.

These dogs do get some extra pampering and I know many people use Pure Paws H2O Hydrating Mist or other products to put moisture back into the coat...

However, they do get bathed and groomed every week while preparing for show season + during show season.

There's more harm from "too few" baths with oily dogs like golden retrievers. You get clogged oil pores leading to skin issues and bald spots.

Personally speaking - I just use a simple leave in conditioner after blow drying (either coconut oil product OR product from my show tack box). Have used the pure paws product mentioned above - it smells like blueberries. :)
Yeah I bathe mine once a week or so, so it is fine, just can't use the crappy shampoos in the pet stores. You can get pretty good shampoos on the store like Tropiclean, Earth Bath and Bio-Groom that are soap and detergent free. But thing like FourPaws and Hartz and a plethora of others shouldn't be used for a weekly routine.

I just wanted to point that out to people just don't get some cheap crappy shampoo and end up with bad skin and coat and have to wait for a 2 or 3 months for it to get corrected.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. That makes sense.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Personally speaking - All Systems super conditioning and cleaning shampoo is what I use all the time. I don't dilute (because even in just a week, my guys get completely filthy), but the shampoo doesn't have to be diluted.

Thank you...I use All Systems.....but from reading the instructions, it says to dilute. I will try not diluting it next time. Also, I will try a leave in conditioner...which ones do you use regularly?

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
I thought my Goldens shed a lot, then I got a Clumber! I swear she sheds more than my 2 Goldens combined.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is Bruno...what do you think of his coat...does it look like your female or male?

Maybe. She is not as fluffy but she has the softest cost I have ever felt. There is a layer of 'down' that feels like velour(?). The down (I think) is the stuff that floats around in the air.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts