Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I have been following it for a while now, but I finally decided to join in and say hello now that I know we are going to get a new pet Golden Retriever.

The litter of Goldens was born on 12/25 and we went to see them today and put in a deposit.
The breeder seemed to be home hobby breeder (parents registered with AKC. Mother is first time parent aged 15 months). He has 20+ dogs in his massive yard and generally breeds Goldendoodles and Retrievers some time. We paid $2500 for the puppy in SW Florida.

The breeder has asked us to choose a pup for us. Needless to say I have my current preference based on aesthetics purely, but I also want to choose one which I can interact with most. My questions are-
  • Do you suggest that I go and check the litter once every week to see which one seems to be more open to come to me and my wife? This could be difficult to do as others make their reservations as well, but I can push for it.
  • The breeders suggested date for delivery is around 6 weeks. I am going to push for him to keep them until at least 7 weeks with the litter and mother. Should I push for 8 weeks?
  • He will provide us with health certificate and AKC registration info for the puppy. Should I be pushing for anything else?

Here is a facebook link to the place where we got it from - PT Ranch - Home | Facebook

Thanks for all the help. I am sure we will need more. I have already bookmarked new puppy checklist threads :D

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
The breeder is breaking the law- and FL is one that'll show up at his doorstep and fine him big time. No puppies leave breeder prior to 8 weeks and must have health certificate issued by USDA vet no earlier than 8 weeks. So- unless he lies to vet (and do you really trust someone who'd lie to the provider of health certificate?) he cannot supply a health certificate on puppy. If you are referring to the parents' health certs, post the registered names of both. That is available now. If you do not know reg names, you have been hoodwinked. It's just not the way it's done. Of course, you must realize this given this is a doodle breeder- doodles are not a breed, and those who deliberately make mutts are not ethical.

·
Registered
883 Posts
As noted above, this all sounds troublesome at best! What about health certificates for the dogs parents? Without these fully done, I would never by a dog, and I would for sure not pay that much!

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
The mother is only 15 months old. That is so sad and wrong. :( Impossible to have final health clearances and just too young to be a mum.

BTW, this is most definitely not a hobby breeder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know this is not what you will want to hear but please take this advice into consideration for this puppy and future puppies.

There is no way for you know pick the best pup for you. Only a breeder who has spent the entire 8 weeks with the litter will be able to match the right puppy to your family. Unfortunately, it seems like you have purchased from a not very good breeder and I doubt they have spent enough time with the pups or care enough to pick properly for you. At this point you will be picking on looks and first impressions.

If you can, definitely push for the puppies to stay with their litter mates until 8 weeks old! If they come home earlier, they lose valuable learning time with their litter mates. This could result in bite inhibition issues (puppies will bite you too hard) as well as some general socialization problems. Without proper socialization, even a Golden can be dangerous.

It seems you have already paid for the puppy in full? This is a red flag in my eyes because most if not all reputable breeders don't ask for payment until the day your puppy goes home. If there is no way to get a refund or you have no desire to, I recommend you never ever get a puppy from this person again. If you have children, please don't ever leave the dog unsupervised with them. I would hate to read about a puppy biting a child later.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
The mother is only 15 months old. That is so sad and wrong. :( Impossible to have final health clearances and just too young to be a mum.

BTW, this is most definitely not a hobby breeder.
I missed that. No- not a hobby breeder, this is an income stream for him. And on top of breaking state law on sending home sans 8 week old health certs, not doing clearances, mixing breeds... I'd be asking for my deposit back. Or even kissing it goodbye and reporting to the state. I may report to the state anyway myself. Laws are laws. Period. If he'll break a state law, he will certainly not be there for this puppy.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Section 828.29, Florida Statutes, provides that each dog or cat offered for sale within the state must be accompanied by a current Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (OCVI), issued by a veterinarian licensed by the state and accredited by the United States Department of Agriculture. Florida Statutes Title XLVI. Crimes § 828.29 | FindLaw NOTE THIS IS UNDER CRIMES.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input everyone. I talked to the breeder and apparently he made a mistake in calculating the delivery date. He indeed said he wont delivery before 20th.

As for the mother being 15 months old, I am not sure what the appropriate age is, but she was in her first heat during that time she got impregnated.

The parents both have their health certificate clearances and we will get one for the puppy as well.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Thanks for your input everyone. I talked to the breeder and apparently he made a mistake in calculating the delivery date. He indeed said he wont delivery before 20th.

As for the mother being 15 months old, I am not sure what the appropriate age is, but she was in her first heat during that time she got impregnated.

The parents both have their health certificate clearances and we will get one for the puppy as well.
I am sure this likely won’t change your mind but you deserve to know the extent of the deficiencies you are paying top dollar for.

Mom should be at least 24 months old. A big issue here is mom is still a puppy herself and likely not a suitable role model for her puppies. This is kind of like a 12-14 year old girl having a baby, just because a child has a period and could get pregnant doesn’t mean they should.

Mom for certain cannot have full and verifiable OFA health certifications that breeding dogs should have. She can have basic health exam from a pet vet but that is not nearly enough for a breeding dog.

You are paying an awful lot for the “honor” of shouldering the increased risk put on this puppy by a breeder that is not following even the minimum health certifications for breeding dogs.

I highly recommend a full coverage pet insurance with no extended wait on orthopedic (Dysplaysia) issues and a very proactive training and socialization program.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do you know what OFA health clearances are for golden retrievers?

I would search on this forum the importance of OFA health clearances and DNA testing.

$2500 is the type of prices you see from actual hobby breeders that actually follow the CoE (code of ethics)

This person sounds more like a Mill breeding a girl at 15 months

·
Registered
13,079 Posts

15 months is not an appropriate age, and she should not have been bred on her first heat.

She does not have her health clearances because they are not issued on a dog under 24 months of age. If you are lucky, she might have preliminary clearances, but they are not final. And according to the Golden Retriever Club of America Code of Ethics, a dog should not be bred under 24 months old and without final, full clearances.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
To reiterate- you will NOT have health certificate clearances on both parents, nor will your puppy have same. You might be confusing a vet saying 'all good here' with an actual clearance. The dam is far too young to have those. It's a risky litter to purchase a puppy from. Not sure how many ways it can be said in this thread but that's the bottom line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts