Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder what goes on in peoples heads. Had Raider and Libby at the vets this morning, time for their bordatella immunization. I was sitting in the waiting room with Libby, she was trying to get under my chair because since last year when she had a large tumor removed with numerous bandage changes she really stresses out at the vets. A lady came out with a tiny little dachshund wrapped in a towel, by this time Libby was at least sitting next to me, after the lady checked out she suddenly leaned down by me and put her little dogs face right into Libby's, my jaw must have dropped and she said, oh, is she friendly? I said, yes, but she really is stressed, and kind of scooted Libby back. I am sure Libby would have been okay with the dog but in my opinion the vets office is really not for socialization. The lady then said, oh, my dog is sick, and then hastily said, but not contagious, she is just paralyzed. I guess I just don't understand what that lady was thinking. Maybe she thought her pup needed a friend but a strange dog in a stressful situation is really not a good candidate.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
There is this lady, i run into on walks, she has a little dogs, swears he is friendly, well three times, i have said okay to him meeting my dogs, three times her dog, growls, and snaps, stop trying, now we just pass each other.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
I think, although I fully agree with you, that I would have to give the lady with the Dachshund a wide berth, since I have no idea when she got her awful news of her dog being paralyzed........

Hopefully she was in some kind of a shock, and not thinking clearly....

But then again, it takes all kinds, doesn't it...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Yes, there are sometimes very strange encounters in the vet reception area and I often wonder what the owners are thinking. After all, sick dogs go to the vet!! :doh: I usually try to avoid dog to dog greetings in the vet office for that very reason alone--makes perfect sense to me, but apparently not everyone possesses common sense! :)

My one encounter with someone that left me shaking my head involved a woman there with her children, looking at a dog to adopt from the vet's pet orphanage. I was there there on an emergency nose bleeding situation with our Barkley, about 10 days before he passed away, in the final stages of his hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. I was trying to keep him calm, had the nosebleed under control, but his vet told us to come in right away because she was going to try a cauterization to stem it from restarting. When I got there all six exam rooms were occupied and there was a full waiting area. We were coming in without an appointment, a work-in, so I knew we might need to wait. We got over to the far side of the room, away from the pet orphanage area. I took out a blanket and got him situated. This lady takes the dog (on leash) over to us from the far side of the area, to let him sniff Barkley. Of all dogs in the waiting area, she picked Barkley???:( I told her he was ill, yet she persisted. :confused: I then physically stood up and announced to her in a voice the reception staff could hear (we were in the blind spot for them so they weren't aware, even though they are usually on top of things), "M'aam, I told you my dog is ILL, he has cancer, is getting chemotherapy, is bleeding and his body fluids are TOXIC (which was technically true, though we were out of the 5 day time frame for toxicity). PLEASE LEAVE US ALONE!". Two of the reception staff people came out and walked her away and then walked us to the hospital area to wait to see the vet. I was steamed! I sure hope they decided not to adopt to that family!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Some people just don't seem to realize that a lot of animals at the vet are there because they're sick. Others might not be thinking straight because their best friend is having trouble.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Yes, there are sometimes very strange encounters in the vet reception area and I often wonder what the owners are thinking. After all, sick dogs go to the vet!! :doh: I usually try to avoid dog to dog greetings in the vet office for that very reason alone--makes perfect sense to me, but apparently not everyone possesses common sense! :)

My one encounter with someone that left me shaking my head involved a woman there with her children, looking at a dog to adopt from the vet's pet orphanage. I was there there on an emergency nose bleeding situation with our Barkley, about 10 days before he passed away, in the final stages of his hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. I was trying to keep him calm, had the nosebleed under control, but his vet told us to come in right away because she was going to try a cauterization to stem it from restarting. When I got there all six exam rooms were occupied and there was a full waiting area. We were coming in without an appointment, a work-in, so I knew we might need to wait. We got over to the far side of the room, away from the pet orphanage area. I took out a blanket and got him situated. This lady takes the dog (on leash) over to us from the far side of the area, to let him sniff Barkley. Of all dogs in the waiting area, she picked Barkley???:( I told her he was ill, yet she persisted. :confused: I then physically stood up and announced to her in a voice the reception staff could hear (we were in the blind spot for them so they weren't aware, even though they are usually on top of things), "M'aam, I told you my dog is ILL, he has cancer, is getting chemotherapy, is bleeding and his body fluids are TOXIC (which was technically true, though we were out of the 5 day time frame for toxicity). PLEASE LEAVE US ALONE!". Two of the reception staff people came out and walked her away and then walked us to the hospital area to wait to see the vet. I was steamed! I sure hope they decided not to adopt to that family!
Wow, just wow. Some people just don't think. :doh:

Another example that always has me shaking my head is parents that allow their children to play on the floor or walk around "visiting" people in a hospital emergency waiting room. :doh::doh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts