Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brady seems to have some kind of a GI bug...or at least that's what we hope it is. His stools had been getting increasingly softer during this past week, and since friday he's had outright diarrhea. We started feeding him boiled chicken and white rice friday night, and started a course of metronidazole this morning. Then this morning in addition to that, he vomitted bile as I was getting his breakfast ready. The chicken/rice is lighter than his kibble and we were 2 hours later than usual feeding him so I'm hoping that was just because he was hungry. He did not hesitate to eat his breakfast with his usual vigor after that. We had just opened a new bag of food last Sunday (california natural lamb and rice), so I thought maybe it was a bad batch, but it looks and smells good and I called the company and no one has reported any problems. He also has been munching on sticks during outside playtime this week, and even though we're good at getting him to drop them he still manages to swallow some...so I've got obstruction in the back of my mind also. He does go to daycare 2 days a week and certainly could pick up something there. He is otherwise acting normally. I hope this passes quickly...thanks for letting me vent!
P.S. Has anyone heard of any confirmed reports of influenza getting transmitted from humans to dogs? We and our vet have heard of cases of a cat and 2 ferrets, but no dogs.

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
I'm sorry Brady is not feeling well. :( I haven't heard of dogs getting influenza but maybe its possible? The chicken and rice is a good idea for an upset tum. If it continues today I think I would make a trip to the vet soon.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm no help on the influenza, but I hope Brady gets to feeling better soon. Keep us up to date.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I once had all three of my dogs at the time have something similar. All three dogs had the runs for almost 2 weeks, but were eating, drinking and playing fine. The vet thought it was probably a doggie flu that was going on at the time. I decided to throw away my dog food, and start a new bag. All three suddenly recovered.

I always thought that that bag was rancid from possibly keeping it in the hot sun too long in the car. Not sure - but who knows.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just realized I posted this under the wrong section...meant to put it in the general health section, not pet food recalls....sorry. That's what happens when Mom is stressed over her furbaby!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts