Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a few people in town that have a dog or two, but the keep em penned up in the smallest pen imaginable. What's even worse, there is one that does it in a large chain link fenced yard. Almost want to knock the owner out for that. :mad:

What good does it to have a dog if you keep em penned up 24/7? :confused:

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I hear you. It makes me angry too.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I hear ya. I know someone who has a crate that barely fits a dachound(sp?) and he sticks his 8 month old medium sized mixed breed dog in there all day. It can't stand up, stretch, ect. He can't afford a larger crate... he shouldn't have got a dog to begin with but got it for free from a friend. :doh:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My neighbour kept two goldens in an 8x8 'run' 24/7 all year round,it gets to minus 30 here sometimes. I never saw those poor dogs outside that cage or being interacted with. Called Animal services, they checked - food, water, shelter-they had a doghouse - all that is required by law, nothing anyone can do. Will never figure out why people get pets if they can't/won't take care of them properly, truly heartbreaking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonder if they got rabies tags? If not, report him for it, and maybe you can adopt them?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Our neighbors are like that. They have 2 black labs that are in a solid 8x4 concrete dog run 24/7 regardless of the weather. It could be 115 degrees or 36 and they'll still be outside all day and all night. They never let them in the house so they rarely have any human interaction. They also effectively killed one of their horses that they kept in a 10x10 pen with another horse without food an water and living in their own excrement. Bear in mind, our community only contains lots that are 1 acre or larger. So it really makes no sense. They are not my favorite people.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
What good does it to have a dog if you keep em penned up 24/7? :confused:
Agreed. I have a neighbour with a Golden Doodle that has to spend his entire life penned in a tiny yard. I once offered to walk him when I walk Toby, but was told that he's dog aggressive (probably never been socialized), and that "he's happy in the yard." The owner actually got fairly snitty with me. I avoid going past that house now, because it just breaks my heart. :(

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Our neighbors on our right had a mid size mutt and 4 chihuahua's Still have those 4 yippers). The mid size dog stayed outsdie, the chihuahuas inside when they were home, outside when at work (seems they are very hard to housebreak). When we had to evacuate for hurrican Rita several yeas, they too the 4 yippers, but left the mid size mutt in the back yard. Every menember had a car--the dad a huge 4 door pick-u, mom an suv, son a mid size pick-up and daughter did have a vw. claimed they didn't have room to take Dixie.

i wanted to bash them! When I left for Hurricane Brett, i was in a small car and had my two goldens (scooter & Buck) and my cat. when i left for hurricane Rita i was in the same small car and I had KayCee and Honey...and my cat, and my brother had Buck in his back seat of his pick-up. No animal was left be3hind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts