Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is something about a golden, isn’t there? She knows how people are feeling and what they need. I rescued a lab a week and a half ago and besides the usual breed differences… there is something about a golden! I think that Chloe is a human trapped in a dog’s body. Lol! The other night Charlie (the lab) was doing something very doggish and Chloe just stood there, with this puzzled look on her face like she was wondering “why the heck are you doing that? Come up on the couch for a snuggle and to watch some tv”. I was talking to one of my girlfriend who also has a golden and she said the same thing!

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
lol i think the same too. there sure is something in them thats different. thats why i love them so much. i have ownd other dogs but nothing can beat a golden.

they talk back sometimes lmao example: my mom found a stick in the living room...mom said "you did it didnt you?" Saya barked back "i did not" mom "no way...you put it here!" Saya barked back "i said i didnt"....later dad came in and said "oh there is the stick, honey i brought it in here"

they do some mischief and act like they didnt do it, like sleep in the crate or couch. sometimes place their paw on their eyes lol.

if you leave them alone for too long when you return they dont greet you and just lie on the bed or couch with a look that says "hmph not gonna talk to you, w/e, you are late! i have been waiting alone here for so long...apology+treats+lots of petting maybe i will change my mind then"

:D i just love goldens <3

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
For me there's only one thing you can say Goldens are the best!! Personality,brains (sometime too much) & looks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very special dogs indeed. I miss mine and when it is time for a new pup it will definately be a Golden.
If we were gone for a while when we returned home our Golden Sydney would cry. She was so happy to see us she would actually cry. I never had another dog that happy to see me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
They are the worlds best dog breed, nothing can beat them for my Husband and I. You don't own them, they own you lol.

They know how you feel, they even know what you're thinking! There are everything you could want from any companion and more.

Our Barney, knows when I'm about to have a migraine, he will start standing at the bottom of the stairs calling me up, talking in his little way, he will then lay on me when I'm in bed. He is always by my side day and night, he never lets me out of his sight. We've had him since he was 7 weeks old, he was the runt of a litter of 13. He is now on his way to twelve. I honestly believe that he actually thinks he's a person. He sits on the settee upright like a person, he has little paddies like a big kid, he will talk to us and paddle his paws up and down. He knows how to get exactly what he wants lol.

Pennymon, she's such a smart dog, she was rescued and she's what we would call, streetwise. Barney will shred cardboard and shred up sweet packets etc. Penny, she's not interested unless it is actually food. She loves to lay around on the settee's, bed, if we're in a room she will lay in the doorway so she doesn't miss anything, nothing passes her. She knows the exact time of day, if you miss her dinner by even a minute she tells you. She lives for cuddles and food. Barney lives for walkies, cuddles and food.

I could go on and on and on. They steel your heart and don't let go :)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I would have to agree. I have fostered many other breeds, but only failed when fostering Goldens. 7 foster failures here !!:p:
Your not a failure but a Golden success. They all found the right forever home for them.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Goldens are special indeed!
Last fall I was walking Maggie and a woman stopped us to tell us she wasn't able to have a dog in the apartment she lived in, but that if she could have one, it would be a golden. She went on to say that golden retrievers are magical. I always ask Maggie if she is a human in a dog costume?!

·
Registered
64 Posts
They really are magnificent. They're so beautiful, and the temperament is fantastic. I had a Golden Retriever and a German Shephard as a kid, but the Golden was definitely my heart dog. She lived to be about 15 years old, and I was so sad when we had to put her down (I was about 17 at the time).

Now that I have kids of my own, we'll be getting another Golden in (hopefully) 4 months or so. I can't wait, and I'm really looking forward to my kids having that sort of bond with their dog.

·
and Luvtazz too
509 Posts
They have a way of insisting that you play with them. My Tazz used to place the ball near me...I ignored it...he would pick it up and move it closer to me...I ignored...he moved it. In the end, he always won. Magical is the perfect word.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One summer afternoon I took Chloe took Starbucks for a mini training session and a coffee break for me. The training session was suppose to be Chloe to lay down and stay while strangers passed us. Well... that didnt happen. Every single person that went to starbucks stopped and petted and/or played with Chloe. Several made remarks like "I cant walk past a golden and not pet her". One lady started to cry. She had just put down her golden last month. At one time she had 6 goldens at once, and she had put down her last golden. She stayed for 20 minutes just playing and laughing with Chloe. She thanked me afterwards. Each golden is unique but there is a common golden thread that binds them together.

:--heart:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts