Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really not to my liking. A couple of weeks ago I got a reminder to schedule my annual eye exam. I've put it off. A week ago I got an appointment reminder for MY APPOINTMENT (which I never made) with a doctor I have never heard of, at a location other than my regular one and scheduled as a 'new patient'.

Then Friday, there was a message on my answering maching confirming my appointment for Tuesday @ 9 a.m. I would never make an appointment for 9 a.m. that is an hour away so I KNOW FOR SURE I didn't make this appointment.

I will be calling tomorrow. I don't like this ambush method.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
My (former) doctor did the same thing - made an appointment which I did not know about for midday during a work day - I found out about it the day before when they called with a reminder - while I was at work. I listened to the message in the evening and canceled the following day perhaps 15 minutes before the appointment and they wanted to charge me for it - I suggested they charge my doctor since she had no business or permission making appointments for me.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would frost my butt too. This isn't even with my regular doctor. Somebody I've never heard of and not at the Kellogg Eye Center where I usually go. The only thing that is regular is that it is thru the U of M Health System.

AND, this is for a dialated pupil exam. I always make those for later in the day so I can sleep it off. I hate dialated pupils. :(

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
This is very bad business . I would let them know you would never be pushed into a situation like this nor pay for it!!! New tricks from the health insurance/doctor arena!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Wow, how presumptuous of whoever made that appointment! My first thought was they will probably charge you because you didn't cancel 24 hours in advance!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got to the bottom of it. According to this clinic my PCP made the appointment for me. Totally bizarre as he KNOWS I go every year for my check up. I've been thinking about changing doctors for a while now, he seems disengaged over the last year or so. I figured maybe his cancer was back or something like that. Maybe so.

If it's not him personally, then it's the health care system that we're in. This may have been a computer-generated appointment based on when I had my last check up. BUT, you'd think they'd make it with my regular opthy doc.

And I'd never make an appointment that made me have to get ready to leave the house by 8 a.m.; well, except for Penny. ;) We left @ 5:30 a.m.;) for her.

·
Premium Member
18,409 Posts
I have never heard of a PCP making an appointment without the patients knowledge. Someone was probably supposed to call you when they made it and just didn't. That is just not acceptable.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I have sort of the opposite problem. My MD office called a half hour before my appt on 11/18 to cancel the appt. They said they would reschedule when they know the MDs schedule (whatever that means). When I didn't hear from them I called and they said they don't have any appts available until after mid January. This was an appt I had made 4 months earlier and needed to get in before the end of the year when my deductible renews ($2800) and I will no longer be covered for the appt. (sigh).

Glad to hear you figured out what happened. It seems bizarre that an appt would be made without even consulting you as to your availability.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I am a bit peeved over the whole thing. It probably has something to do with cutting down on medical costs or something but I agree: scheduling me without my knowledge? No no no no no! :no::no::no::no:

·
Premium Member
18,409 Posts
I have sort of the opposite problem. My MD office called a half hour before my appt on 11/18 to cancel the appt. They said they would reschedule when they know the MDs schedule (whatever that means). When I didn't hear from them I called and they said they don't have any appts available until after mid January. This was an appt I had made 4 months earlier and needed to get in before the end of the year when my deductible renews ($2800) and I will no longer be covered for the appt. (sigh).

Glad to hear you figured out what happened. It seems bizarre that an appt would be made without even consulting you as to your availability.
That's just wrong. Did you demand they get you in since they were the ones to cancel?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Lots of human error most likely involved don't you think?-new staff doing things without following office protocol or just gross incompetence.
I am seeing major incompetence in the staff recently hired at my office-they make so many mistakes or are just not conscientious. It reflects badly on the office as a whole.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts