Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kristy
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Duncan's 8 weeks old, he's been home 4 days now. He's doing great with the potty training.... I pick up his water dish around 7 p.m. he's been going out for the last time around 10.

Last night he was up in the night at 12, 2, 4 and then up at 6. I have to say he's doing better with the crate... seems to understand that even if he pitches a giant fit he's going back into his crate after his potty break. That is a huge help.... he's pottying when he goes out, but I'm just beat. Baxter didn't do this when he was a puppy.... he woke up once in the night the first week and then slept over night.

I have been reading the puppy posts over the past month or two and feeling sorry for everyone.... just didn't expect it would really happen at my house :)

Somebody tell me that this will only last a couple weeks....:crossfing

·
Registered
154 Posts
Give it a few days. I don't think it will last a few weeks though. He's pretty new to your household. Tucker got up for the first week a couple times a night and then started settling into a good routine and was sleeping through the night. However, he was up at 5am when the middle of the night potty breaks ended. That killed me. 5am is not a good hour for me. It gets better - I promise!

·
Registered
278 Posts
First, Don't let him train you! He really doesn't need to go out that often, but if he can convince you to let him out he will. By now you should at least give him one whinning session with no response. At the very minimum he should be able to go 4 hours, but more likely 6 hours if the water is cut off.

The two pups I am crate training right now are sleeping at a minimum 6 hours and they just started 2 days ago. Just make sure to tire him out before bed and let him have at least one or two whine sessions to teach him that he doesn't always get to go out when he wants. He will learn to only whine when he really has to go out!

Good Luck!!!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
This too will pass. :wavey:
And down the road you will even forget about it till you get your next pup and then it will ALL come back to you again! :doh:

·
Kristy
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, cola.. I promise I"m being patient with my new baby... he's really settling in beautifully..... 3 year old pitched a fit in time out this morning and Duncan didn't bat an eye. Non-phased by hairdryer also.... it's gonna be good.

I'm taking the boy out to go potty right now and then we're going to snuggle up together and take a nap on the couch before I have to get my other kids off the school bus :)

·
Kristy
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Doolin, I will try to do a better job wearing him out at night.... I think I haven't been letting him sleep enough during the day, so he hasn't been wanting to play as much in the evening, he's been napping. He'll play for 5 or 10 minutes and then try to curl up in my lap, so I give up and go to bed. We will work harder on evening play.

Appreciate everyone's input greatly... :)

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
Have you put something with your scent on it in the crate with him at night? That might help.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Oh boy, that first week was tough!!!! I was sooo tired, I don't even remember being that tired with my babies! And when you are exhausted, all that crazy puppy behavior seems so much worse. I was so afraid I had brought a real problem into our house, if you remember. If I hadn't been so tired, I'm sure I would have read the situation better!
I know that once Josie got comfortable with the crate (after about a week or so), she stopped wanting to go out in the middle of the night. A couple of times I even tried to wake her up, thinking she must need to go, and she wouldn't come out of the crate.
And I have to say she goes to bed early, too. She is out like a light by 8pm, and she is good until 6am, at least. This may change as she gets older, but lets hope not!
Give it a week, and when you get some sleep, everything will seem so much better!:)

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I'm sure this will pass! I can't really help you, as Tess slept through the night from the beginning, but knowing that she slept without a problem from 10.30 - 5.30, going out 4 times seems a bit much...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just to add my two cents...once Rosie got finished with the nighttime potty breaks, she started waking up really early in the a.m. That got old real quick for me, so I would put her back in the crate from 4:30 or 5 a.m until I was ready to get up (usually around 7). I don't think there's anything wrong with training them to fit into our human schedules. Rosie seemed to adjust pretty quickly. Hope Duncan will get over it soon, too!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
This should get better with time.

Gilmour transferred to being an "All Nighter" pretty quickly. I think 9 or 10 weeks, and he was lasting all night.

Now, I don't go to bed until midnight or 1am, so he only had to last about 6 hours.

My problem with him is he now wakes me up every 2 hours because he wants to go to the living room and play with the ****** cat.

Luckily for him I have to get up every 2 hours or so for my own reasons.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
When Gable started, the breeder told me that he can make it 6 hours over night if you do what you are doing which is to take his water up 2 hours before bed and make sure they go potty before they go to bed. Gable fell into that in two nights and he now sleeps from around 10 pm until almost 7 am. without a peep.
Good luck. It does get better.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I never thought Magnus would stop screetching at night. I literally never went to sleep a couple times. Last night I put him in there expecting him to want on the bed later and he slept until 5 am. There is hope!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel your pain. Benson (9wks) has gone CRAZY around 2am and then again every hour that as followed. Its hard to ignore those loud barks. He's had the runs when I finally put on my 6 layers of clothes (single digits in KY today) and taken him out at night, which after the vet visit yesterday turned out to be roundworm, blah. SO hopefully the vet visit will clear that up SOON. I've had little sleep since last Friday when we picked him up.

However, I'm not sure if anyone has picked up on this, but I find it kinda funny. It seems to be the 8wk-15wks is the crazy I have just adopted the spawn of satan period. Most of these threads are "He is biting me and everything else" "He gets crazy at night" so forth. I don't see much posts about puppies past the four month age, so there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Either that or Goldens are so smart that they have trained us not to speak bad of them by this age. At least we have found this site and we can all vent together!!

·
Kristy
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BennyBoy, I have to say, anyone going out into single digits with a puppy is my hero! (Either that or nuts, but then I might have to include myself :) We're not going above freezing today and I thought it was bad..... thanks for helping me keep this in perspective!

I keep remind myself that I was the one who couldn't possibly be without a dog until April! It's worth it though :)

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
However, I'm not sure if anyone has picked up on this, but I find it kinda funny. It seems to be the 8wk-15wks is the crazy I have just adopted the spawn of satan period. Most of these threads are "He is biting me and everything else" "He gets crazy at night" so forth. I don't see much posts about puppies past the four month age, so there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Either that or Goldens are so smart that they have trained us not to speak bad of them by this age. At least we have found this site and we can all vent together!!
I think you're right about that. Rosie seemed to get way easier around 4-5 months of age. She's now 7 months old, and I feel like things are smooth sailing, for the most part. I keep waiting for the "teenage" stage to hit us. I'm sure it'll be here soon, and I'll be doing a lot of complaining on this board! ;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
OK, don't know what I'm doing. I have a 6 mo Dichi golden and am just trying to get in on some of the "therapy". He's great, but just want to compare.
K

·
Registered
633 Posts
Kaysy,

Just a quick note to say hello. I have two female Golden Retrievers from Dichi Goldens. Their father is Victor. One is a little over 2 years old and one just had her first birthday. Their moms are Dancer and Paige, respectively.

I also have a field bred male who is 3. They are all great dogs.

When my pups were about 6 months old, they were pretty much potty trained. We started letting them stay with us in the family room at night. There were accidents now and then, but it was a lot easier.

I remember those early months with each of them. It takes a special person to raise a puppy. So congratulations, you have made it through the first six months - I am sure you have a lot to share.

Please tell us more about your pup. It would be great to see a picture : )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts