Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leo is 21 weeks old tomorrow, and the person who owned his parents had him on Purina puppy chow as little as 4 weeks, and he was given to me at 5. About six weeks later I started feeding him Natural Balance Ultra Premium, and shortly afterwards he started to experience loose stool which kept getting worse and worse. The vet checked his stool twice since them and found no problems. I put him back on puppy chow and he not only enjoyed it more, but his stool returned to normal poop consistency and was no longer runny.

So I could use some recommendations for some food that won't break the bank. I guess I was spending about $50 for a 30 lb bag, and as such I was looking for something around this price for this sized bag that will be good for his health and also tasty! Thanks

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
What I learned I learned here by reading old posts from the knowledgeable people here. Discovered I tried to change my pups food way too fast. We went back to the original food the breeder had them on and waited to see if the stools firmed back up. They were better, so we slowly over a 2 wk period added very tiny amounts of the food we wanted to her original food until we were 100% on the new food. Also started adding 1 level spoonful of canned pure pumpkin to each feeding (not the pumpkin pie kind, you need pure pumpkin). This firmed up the stools after only 1 day. Now I give them 1 tblsp of pumpkin with their nightly feeding. Mine are 5 1/2 mo and 11 wks. and we have had good stools since we started this. I also give them Dogzymes digestive enhancer & Grizzly Salmon oil. The dogzymes seems to balance their little tummies wonderfully. For a treat I give them greek yogurt a few times a week. Main thing is just slow down with the change and look for a good, high quality dog food, and don't forget the pumpkin! Bet time and patience is all your pup needs.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
If your pup is doing well on the food he came home with, I would leave him on that until you switch to adult food. You need to make a radical switch then anyway, and he will be older, which will be easier for his stomach. The problem with switching too early, is that you never know for sure if the loose stool is due to the new food or the fact that the pup just can't handle any switch yet. If you wait until he is a bit older, you have a better idea how he handles food.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the same thing happened to me with my pup, I have him on the Sicence Diet and was looking to change his food. I tried Innova but it gave him really loose stools even though I was mixing small amounts into his orginal food. I decided to go back to the Science Diet and his stools are fine.

I think I am going to look into ProPlan...

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Ditto to the advice above. I'd keep him on the Puppy Chow for now then when he's older (months from now) s l o w l y switch him to another food if you want.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair enough, thanks for the advice. I switched him slowly over a two week period and he seemed okay at first which is why it has been so weird. For about two weeks I'd say he was doing just fine, then his ass turned into a loose cannon. I will keep him on the puppy chow for a few more months and see how things go after that. Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an aside, he has been eating the puppy chow again for the past two weeks I'd say, and has been scratching and biting himself a lot. As he doesn't have flees, I'm guessing this is due to dry skin / coat from either the food or he just naturally has dry skin. What can I do to curb this until I get him on some better food?

·
Registered
639 Posts
We had a similar experience but after putting him back on his original food and waiting awhile we then slowly switched over to another food with no problems. Ozzy is on Fromm's Large Breed Puppy. He does great on it and I love the Fromm company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts