Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peyton is almost 7 months and we've noticed some changes over the past month. She has always been big for her age and at 6 months was 64 lbs. The vet said she could lose a little around the ribs but said she's happy with her weight.

I've noticed that sometimes when sitting or turning around with my hand on her hips I can feel a little pop. Never thought much about it as she's growing but last weekend she favored one of her front legs and this weekend one of her back. That said she stills runs and jumps but does have a little limp when walking. We've had an extremely dry fall and winter and our yard is like concrete. She has over an acre to roam loves being outside. She has 3 puppy classes left and we will have her spayed right after that. I'm going to have the vet X-ray her hips then.

The other thing is she's gone from a wild puppy to very calm at times, maybe even tired. She used to constantly harass our female cocker and does it a lot less now. She spends a lot more time out of her crate, plus puppy class once a week, so maybe she's just more tired? She does like to be independent at times and would spend hours outside if you didn't call her in. She will just sit and watch birds, deer, etc.

The third item is she doesn't want to eat sometimes lately. We feed all the dogs at the same time and frequently she would rather play or just chill out. We even are feeding less than the recommend low end for her age and weight. Other times she will inhale her food.

The legs and hips we will have checked in a few weeks. Does the less puppiness and eating sound typical? Maybe she is going through "puppy puberty" right now? She is a happy dog, loves to play and train, and is just a sweet dog.

·
Kristy
9,813 Posts
If my dog goes from being a consistently good eater to not finishing food, I would have him at the vet for a check up and discussion. Take some notes so you have some specific time lengths etc that these things have been going on. I am not one to wait on these things.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that I think about it she's always farted around while eating, just more of it lately. A couple of bites, play, then come back, more play, etc. This morning it was potty, food time (left it for Mom), love from Mom, then play outside and feed the birds. When she came in she decided to chow down. Could just be a dog that wants to eat on her clock and not ours. Stools are nice and firm.

Now our Cockers are bowl down and inhale the food. Sometimes I don't think they chew or breathe :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm a golden/cocker mom too. We had our golden first, and he ate very leisurely, but the cocker spaniel has always breathed down his food! One thought, but your dog seems a bit young is hypothyroid. Our dog I think was diagnosed about 3, but lethargy, weight gain, lack of appetite are symptoms.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some searching seems that the decreased appetite is not uncommon at 5-8 months. Peyton has been getting about 3 1/2 cups of Taste of the Wild per day. It is actually less than what the bag recommends for her age and weight but maybe still too much? She did grow fast and maybe her body is saying it's time to slow down now.

The other thing is with her favoring her back leg she seems to be unstable on the tile floor while eating. I'm going to put a big rug and see if that helps.

I did think about adding some "extras" to her food but sounds like I bad idea as she'll expect it all the time.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
You are smart to have the hips x-rayed when spayed. I did the same thing with Gunner when I had him neutered.

Gunner is a finicky eater now. I don't remember him being that way when he was a puppy. Hopefully Peyton is not in any kind of pain that makes her not want to eat. I know you will keep an eye on her.

I will keep her in my prayers and good thoughts for a good outcome after the spay.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My dog (now 13 months old) has never been a chow hound and has gone through even slower eating spurts I believe around the same age. He eats well under the lower recommended amount and although 80#, he is tall, big boned and his ribs are visible when he moves. He has his moments where he gets very excited and will run and play but he has also calmed down A LOT! He tends to run and play for a couple minutes with our 7# , 8 year old Maltese, but unless we are at a lake in the summer, hiking, or going for a walk on the trail by our house, he seems perfectly happy to follow the kids around and wait to plop down at someones feet or sleep next to the kids. I would definately have her hips checked- the limping and popping concerns me. If energy level change and eating habit change were slight it may just be the age, if it was dramatic definately get it checked out, I would mentioned ALL changes when you get those hips checked. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Peyton is eating more than my guys do at that age... Usually closer to two cups/daily. With my guys sometimes if they don't eat well it is because they are already eating too much.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't she is in any pain as she runs, jumps, and plays as normal. She just jumped over the arm of the couch onto me! Scheduled her spay in 2 weeks and the vet is going to X-ray. The vet is guessing that the limp is probably part of being a big, clumsy, wild puppy but to keep an eye on her.

The vet said that she is probably slowing down and getting too much food. Taste of the Wild bag says 4 3/4 to 5 3/4 for her age/weight. We were doing less than 4 which is probably still too much. She eats treats just fine and guess she's just a slow and picky eater.

·
Registered
320 Posts
maple was on 4 cups a day of her acana at that age and it had her overweight we had to go to way less but she would have eaten it all and then some, shes a total chow hound! lol I always worry with and leg or arm issues, good your having the xray!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bumped Peyton down to 3 cups per day and she is eating great. Also moved her bowl next to the older dog's which I think she enjoys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts